E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front End Removed From Car ; What Maintenance should I do whilst having easy access.

05-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #1
used2becrashed
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Front End Removed From Car ; What Maintenance should I do whilst having easy access.

Hello everybody! A few months ago my moms 2011 LCI 328xi was struck by a driver at an intersection and was totaled out by insurance, she loved the car so we bought it back and I'm finally getting around to repairing it. Currently the car is torn down including the removal of the rad support and radiator (see pic attached). Since I have access now I think it would be best to perform some maintenance the car, both preventive and whats needed. I'm more familiar with the e46 chassis as I've owned several of those so I'm more than familiar with the issues of cooling system and power steering line failure they have, do these issues also carry over to the e90 platform? What all maintenance should I do while I have access, the car has ~90k miles and certainly needs it. I'll be ordering everything from fcp euro.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      05-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
The usual stuff at that mileage might be replacing the valve cover and gasket, replace the faulty Vanos bolts if you have them? Those are the faulty torx bolts with a center security pin btw. 2011s had that issue. 8 bolts and these only cost a few dollars. You need a Torx security socket and a torque angle wrench tho. There’s a BMW service bulletin about this important issue.

Also, maybe replace the plugs and coils, clean both Vanos solenoids, and clean the Vanos filters tucked in on the right side of the block towards the front.

You could toss in a new water pump and tstat which would be easier to access now. And then the OFHG is a known leak point too. Inspect cooling hoses, etc. Oh and change out the rotted plastic Micky Mouse flange with an aluminum one. It’s right under the OFH, or oil filter housing.

Go get ‘em and then enjoy your ride! Leaving your DNA on a BMW means she’s yours!
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 12:59 AM   #3
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Belt
Belt tensioner
Front main seal
OFHG
Have yet to see any power steering line failures on the e90.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

thermostat and water pump? But at that low mileage and in a cooler climate, I would probably skip it. Engine air filter if it's due, lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N52 2007 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaaaaaan View Post
thermostat and water pump? But at that low mileage and in a cooler climate, I would probably skip it. Engine air filter if it's due, lol.
Good shout, water pump WILL fail if not replaced already and it's a right faff for access.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
You need a Torx security socket and a torque angle wrench tho.
Can shade-tree this if you don't have a torque angle wrench. Tighten up to torque spec with a torque wrench. Then grab your regular ratchet, count the clicks in a 360 degree revolution, and figure out how much you have to turn.

The more clicks on your tool, the better. Grab the ratchet you most prefer when working in tight spaces.

E.g. if your ratchet clicks 72 times per 360 degree revolution, that's 5 degrees per click. If you need 60 degrees of torque angle, you need to further tighten up in the distance that covers 12 clicks. Obviously you don't hear the clicks as you tighten, so apply the tool in a way where you couldn't tighten it anymore, go 12 clicks back, then tighten until you hit whatever object you started against.

It's not going to be perfect, but nor is any torque wrench in the first place (especially if there's any oil/water/dirt in the threads).

Or get your protractor out and mark the bolt and point at the surface to match it to and turn until they're 1 line.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=14 might be helpful.

Last edited by Daaaaaaaan; 05-29-2022 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      05-29-2022, 01:12 PM   #7
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

If the water pump and thermostat are original I would do them, tensioners, pulley's, belts, OFHG, VCG and Mickey Mouse flange (aluminum version). I would look at vacuum hoses and you might as well replace the ET while you're there. Some people like the guard for the crankcase but I'm not sold on it yet.
      05-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Definitely the water pump and thermostat if not done before. And might as well change out the coolant hoses and the plastic coolant pipe on the subframe.

The alternator voltage regulator (if that is a Bosch 180) can be done other times. You can check the oil pan gasket for leakage. Motor mounts and tension struts for bushing oil leaks.

OFHG and the Mickey Mouse flange would be easier access now, but those are also doable with the front end back in place.

Appreciate 1