E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > e92 328xi 2007 - Misfire Cylinder 1/3 System too lean Bank 1/Bank2

07-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
harrimann
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
Question e92 328xi 2007 - Misfire Cylinder 1/3 System too lean Bank 1/Bank2

Hi team!

So this morning on my way to work my 2007 328xi was idling rough and then the check engine light came on. While driving between 1000-3000 rpm the engine was shaking. When under heavy load (above 3000 rpm) the engine seems to be running fine.

I assume I need to replace my Spark Plugs and maybe my coils? However, last week I was in Oregon (Live in California) and decided to put non-ethanol gasoline in my car. It ran great, I got better MPG and the engine seemed to be much happier. I'm concerned that I caused something by putting in the non-ethanol gasoline.

I pulled the following codes from the computer:

P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0174: System too lean Bank 2
P0171 System too lean Bank 1
P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire

The car has 130k and I have never changed the plugs or coils. I do change the oil out about every 10k miles or so.

The only issue I have had with this vehicle is the transmission gear selector in the transmission broke and needed replacement. I did this job myself. For those of you who might need to do this, it is relatively easy, just be prepared to get covered in oil

Other than that my Valve Cover Gasket leaks a little bit of oil and I plan on replacing that sometime in the near future.

Thoughts / recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Harri
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

At 130k you definitely need new plugs. Coils, maybe, but probably not. You can swap the coil that is misfiring to a different cylinder and see if the code moves to that cylinder - if it does, replace that coil. But the very first thing you should do is new plugs, then worry about if a coil needs replaced or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
harrimann
Rep

Garage List
Thank you,

I hate to even ask this, and I probably know the answer. But since it is the weekend and I live far away from civilization. Do you think I can get BOSH.OEM plugs at NAPA/AUTOZONE/ETC or should I just wait and order from somewhere like peilcan?

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm gonna be getting my hands dirty this weekend.

Thanks
Harri
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I'd probably get NGK, but in any case, you should be able to get them locally.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
harrimann
Rep

Garage List
Just a quick update, I ended up changing all the spark plugs and two coils, we are happy now.

The next thing I need to do is the valve cover gasket. Not looking forward to that one.

Also, another odd side note, and correct me if I'm wrong. But, the OE spark plugs are NGK? However when I removed the plugs they were BOSCH.

I was able to find OE plugs and OE coils locally. From start to finish it took less than an hr. Pretty impressed. I also cleaned me engine bay, so the car is super happy now.

As always, thanks for the help.

-Harri
Appreciate 0