E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > CD Track Changes when Car is Off

09-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
ystress
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xiT

CD Track Changes when Car is Off

I am seeing a disturbing problem with my factory CD Player. We have comfort access and iDrive/Nav with a single in dash CD player in our 2006 325 ixt. We play a CD and when we stop the car and turn it off, we note the CD track (ie Track =4). We come back to the car a few hours later and when we start the car, the CD track has advanced (ie Track = 07). This is not a small advance, but clearly much much more. At first I though my wife was not shutting the vehicle off, but we ran the experiment a couple of times and we are positive the vehicle was off, yet the CD track always advanced a few tracks. If we do shut the car off and a few minutes later, turn it on, the problem does not appear to surface.

Overall this is not an "end of the world" problem except we are concerned that the battery will run down because the CD and other ACC are continuing to operate.

Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by ystress; 09-13-2006 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Incorrect Title
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ystress
I am seeing a disturbing problem with my factory CD Player. We have comfort access and iDrive/Nav with a single in dash CD player in our 2006 325 ixt. We play a CD and when we stop the car and turn it off, we note the CD track (ie Track =4). We come back to the car a few hours later and when we start the car, the CD track has advanced (ie Track = 07). This is not a small advance, but clearly much much more. At first I though my wife was not shutting the vehicle off, but we ran the experiment a couple of times and we are positive the vehicle was off, yet the CD track always advanced a few tracks. If we do shut the car off and a few minutes later, turn it on, the problem does not appear to surface.

Overall this is not an "end of the world" problem except we are concerned that the battery will run down because the CD and other ACC are continuing to operate.

These E90 radios do not keep their settings (display, random, etc.) when shut down - you can search other threads on this topic. I've not heard of the CD player advancing tracks, but I do know it sometimes will start from the beginning of the track that was playing before shut down. I doubt your stereo is continuing to play after you lock the car.

Question: Is the music playing when you get out of the car after shutdown? If so try shutting down by holding the Start/Stop button in until everything is off (only a couple of seconds).
      09-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
ystress
Rep

When we experimented, we would press and hold the start button untill all functions shut off. Then we exited the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I have this issue as well but I think it's only on my MP3 setting but then again, I don't play regular CD's often.
I would have no idea if this is normal and seeing how I forgot to tell my SA when I took my car in for service recently, I don't want to go through the hassle of taking it in JUST for this.
It is irritating though
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
ystress, is your CD a regular CD or MP3 CD? I don't play many MP3 CDs, so I have less experience with them, but I do play CDs almost all the time. I am 100% certain this does not happen in my car with regular CDs -- it picks up where it left off without fail. In fact, my radio does seem to save the settings from when I shut down, contrary to rlc's post. By that, I mean volume, CD track, or AM/FM station, equalizer and reverb settings, etc.

Could it have to do with using two different key fobs to unlock? I thought the radio settings were saved to the fob when you locked?

FWIW, I have the same setup with you, albeit with the 330i stereo. I "completely shut down" by pressing start twice, rather than holding it down, but I doubt that makes a difference.
      09-14-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK
....In fact, my radio does seem to save the settings from when I shut down, contrary to rlc's post. By that, I mean volume, CD track, or AM/FM station, equalizer and reverb settings, etc.

I never said it did not save the settings you mention. My complaint is that it does not retain any display or playback settings you have selected since startup, IOW other than the default.

For instance, try theses in your stereo:

Play a CD and select Random.
While it is still playing select the FM input and listen to the radio.
Go back to the CD Input and see if Random is still selected. (on mine it will not be). On the new iPod adapter if Random is on when I shut down it will return to the same track - but from the beginning of the track instead of where it was when I shut down.

Play an MP3 Cd and select LIST, then TRACK so the display shows song title and artist.
Shutdown or Select another input. When you come back it will default the display to TRACK No.

None of these behaviors occur on the $179 Alpine unit I have in my 1992 325i.

Look, none of these are that big a deal. I've gotten pretty quick at setting up the display the way I want it when I start the car. It just gets old and it is a shame more attention to detail was not paid to user interface.
      09-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
rlc - you're right, I thought you meant the usual settings like volume and mode. I'm sure you're right that those settings revert. Since I don't usually play MP3 CDs, the only one I've noticed is the "random" setting, which I have noticed now that you mention it.
      09-15-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

I also sometimes realise that the CD has advanced a few tracks - Just occasionaly, most of the time it restarts within a few seconds of where I left it. CDs are MP3 (mostly WMA actually), and in the changer. I rarely use "Conventional CD audio". Vehicle is Professional Nav with i Drive and basic (european) audio, built 01/06.

Most other CD settings are retained correctly, but I still (see earlier threads) get the occasional instance when I return to the car and find it has switched to FM instead of the CD. Selecting "CD Menu" or using the steering wheel button set to "Audio Source" to re-select "CD" returns to where I was. I've also seen the frequency associated with the first stored FM channel get corrupted occasionally (the text label stayed the same). Service have changed the "i Drive controller" (whould that be the CCC?) so solve spurrious vehicle alerts. The car still advances a few songs or tries to convert me to be a radio listener from time to time. Not sure if the Radio freq corruption has gone away.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #9
ystress
Rep

We play store bought CDs only. I thought about the fob, but in our experiment, we only had one fob present. We stopped the car both ways; pressing start twice and the 0press and hold method. The problem happened regardless of how we shut off the car. We did notice that you had to leave the car off for more than 15 minutes for us to notice the track shift.
      09-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d
... CDs are MP3 (mostly WMA actually), and in the changer.
Wait, it plays WMA, too? How did I not know that?
      09-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK
Wait, it plays WMA, too? How did I not know that?
In the changer - not the dash slot. (Although this is probably a software thing, so that could fix it if they wanted)

The CD changer WILL play WMA files (search earlier posts for build dates, s/w versions etc to enable this) . I find WMA files smaller than mp3s and better quality. I just rip my purchaed CDs in Windows media player, update the song titles etc amd then copy the folders to CD.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #12
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Quote:

Yes this is a known bug, I have had it confimed by my BMW dealer and also Customer support. I also have the PUMA reference number for this fault. It is supposed to be cured by the next software release which they have promised me in September..... Ha!

I also have a list of many others including:

Petrol flap opens when you unlock the car
SOS failure messages
Caravan towing failure warning
etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
ystress
Rep

Thank. I will follow up with my dealer.
      09-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank. I will follow up with my dealer.
I will dig out the PUMA reference number and post it for you so your dealer cannot argue about it.!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdraft
I will dig out the PUMA reference number and post it for you so your dealer cannot argue about it.!
Sorry it has taken me a while to get this to you:

The PUMA reference number for the CD Run on is as follows:

Measure number = 4697687-03 (20/07/06) this states that the car needs to be re-loaded with version 23 software.. which I am still awaiting my dealer to give me. I was at the E90 UK2 meet last Saturday and some of the members say that some people have already had version 23 loaded... so it is available.

I will be pushing my dealer for an reload soon!
Appreciate 0