E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New door lock actuator VS electrics

04-01-2023, 03:41 AM   #1
Bimmer325i
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i 2011

New door lock actuator VS electrics

Hi all,

I'm in need to replace my front left hand side door lock actuator soon.
Symptoms:
  • - All doors unlock, except front left; i.e. door knob stays down.
  • - I can hear something operating, but no locking/unlocking.
  • - Door lock opens from inside when pulling door handle. Door knob comes up. Then I can open from inside or outside.
  • - Checked all four fuses 61, 72, 73, 79. Okay with 0.5 Ohms each.
  • - Mechanic looked at it, also says door lock actuator

Considering the two quotations I got for replacing the unit, I'm going to attempt it myself. Part is on order.

My question is:
Is there anything to consider when replacing the actuator with regards to the electrics?
I was reading through some online DIY as well as here in the forum. It seems that sometimes weird things happen, e.g. unexpected behaviour with doors or windows.

In my own experience, after checking all four fuses as mentioned above, my door fob wouldn't lock my doors anymore. I then inserted the fob into the dash slot, started the car for a minute or so and after turning it off again it worked. Not sure what was going on.

Is there anything else to consider, e.g. disconnecting the battery?

Thanks heaps.

BMW E90 2011 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #2
Kitty Kong
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Hello,

I am currently in the same position as you, except mine has been doing this for almost 2 months now because I was working on another issue. In that time, I started out with the same exact symptoms as you same position too, but now when I lock/unlock my car... the actuator tries to lock/unlock around 10 times rapidly.

I don't have too much insight sadly on this one other then hearing about adding WD-40 or other lubricant to the actuator before you replace it, to see if that might help move the lock. I watched one video where that worked, so worth a shot before you replace it. Disconnecting your battery is another thing to do.

Good luck, and keep me posted if that actuator ends up working for you. Also, did you buy new oem or something else?

328xi 09
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The actuator is bad.
Nothing special to replacing it.

You do have to remove the glass window in order to remove the window track near the actuator so the actuator comes out.

Easy DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 11:19 PM   #4
Bimmer325i
Rep

Supposed to be OEM from FCP Euro.
Ordered the set, including both front actuators.

If it shatters, it will fail eventually. Better prepare for replacement. Would not bother adding any lubricant.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:36 PM   #5
Bimmer325i
Rep

Quick update.

Got the set from FCP Euro.
Was ready to replace, but due to bad weather (no space in garage) replacement was delayed.

Then it happened, it fixed itself.

One day I noticed, it worked again. More than 6 months ago now.

Judging by the speed the door knob comes up when unlocking, I dare say the previously faulty one works better than the driver side. Comes up faster.

Still have the two actuators as spares.
Appreciate 1