E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

08-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #551
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

I dropped my car off today for the first time after being upgraded to v30. I knew it would basically be of waste of my time but I wanted it documented. They aleady called and told me that they could not notice anything wrong with the car I told them I will be in at lunch and I want to have one of the 335's on the lot that are <v29.2 available to compare. I pleaded for a 335 loaner car and I got one. I must say the damn thing feels worse than mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #552
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
I dropped my car off today for the first time after being upgraded to v30. I knew it would basically be of waste of my time but I wanted it documented. They aleady called and told me that they could not notice anything wrong with the car I told them I will be in at lunch and I want to have one of the 335's on the lot that are <v29.2 available to compare. I pleaded for a 335 loaner car and I got one. I must say the damn thing feels worse than mine.
Are you absolutely sure that it is <v29.2 ? How much miles does it have? Or, do you know the VIN (can be seen in the secret menu)? Even if it is old enough, it could have been updated in the meantime...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #553
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Am I sure what is <29.2? I know for a fact my car was <29.2 2 weeks ago and now it is v30. This is what my SA told me. The loaner car is a 2008 335i. iDrive menu looks identical to updated S/W so I am assuming it is v29.2 or v30. I just want them to provide me with a car on the lot to do a comparison. They have several 335i's sitting around.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #554
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Am I sure what is <29.2? I know for a fact my car was <29.2 2 weeks ago and now it is v30. This is what my SA told me. The loaner car is a 2008 335i. iDrive menu looks identical to updated S/W so I am assuming it is v29.2 or v30. I just want them to provide me with a car on the lot to do a comparison. They have several 335i's sitting around.
I meant the loaner, because you said you specifically requested a comparison car with <v29.2. So the crappy loaner is impaired as well and not good for comparison.

Oh, and BTW, I see this discussion very often: You cannot discriminate the "crappy" versions by the iDrive screen. Neither in any secret menu nor from the colors (the design must have changed somewhere between v25 and v27, at least my v27 looks no different than my v30).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #555
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Mine is one. No case number or something here, either.
Thanks Tyler and Meyer. I thought you two were the ones. For some reason, I was thinking RBB was one too. Anyway, these PUMA cases are hopefully our best standing bet at getting something done. When I go take my car in in an hour or so, I'll ask
a) can you flash me back to 27.4? (I know they can't, but what the hell)
b) can you put new wastegates on? (I know they won't, because they aren't rattling)
c) can you PUMA me?

It's also been long enough that it might not hurt for all of us to write and call BMW, AGAIN. Obviously it will fee fruitless, but, it will log more instances or reaffirm that the issues still exist.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #556
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good luck. That's the right thing to do (ask for a pre 29.2 to drive back to back), however, they are likely becoming more and more rare since they are probably updated as they sit at the dealer. Also, at that point you will basically be where Meyer, Tyler, myself, and many others are, where the dealer says "Yep, we see it's an issue...but what do you want us to do? BMW hasn't fixed it yet." That's one step ahead of where you are, but it's a really small step...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #557
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well my intentions were to request a 335i that was not updated. It was a struggle to even get the 335 but after they figured I was not leaving until I got the car I requested they provided me the loaner. The loaner is updated for sure. It has 5000 miles on it and drives like a dog and is actually worse than mine.

When they caled me this morning that is when I requested to have a 335 that is not updated available at lunch for comparison.

I just actually talked to the tech and I was astonished at what he said. He told me that there are flashes and mods I can do to the car. That actually just pissed me off even more. They even suggested I take a ride in a couple of their cars as they are modded. Am I missing something here? So I asked them what version they are running and he said he did not know and would have to ask. It looks like I will have to speak with the tech's that have 335i's. I still can not belive they have modded cars, work for BMW and suggest I mod the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #558
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
FWIW....I had my first scheduled maintenance Friday (woohoo! right!) and got to chattin with a salesman who leases a 335 while in the showroom. He mentions to me how one of the service techs told him for $1200 he can REALLY up the boost of the car with a simple removable mod. Hmmmm....that rings a bell.

WHat amazes me is here is a bright young salesman who drives a 335 and he is pretty mych clueless (or a great liar) to all the common knowledge issues on this board.

-Software version induced performance drags...29.2
-HPFP failures...he says he "heard the dealer had one go bad
-Second oil coolers missing
-Disolving Dinan relationship....never heard that but this is not an authorized dealer.

Youd think he would know what he sells and drives inside and out.
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #559
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's a conspiracy so they can then void your warranty!
Quote:
Well my intentions were to request a 335i that was not updated. It was a struggle to even get the 335 but after they figured I was not leaving until I got the car I requested they provided me the loaner. The loaner is updated for sure. It has 5000 miles on it and drives like a dog and is actually worse than mine.

When they caled me this morning that is when I requested to have a 335 that is not updated available at lunch for comparison.

I just actually talked to the tech and I was astonished at what he said. He told me that there are flashes and mods I can do to the car. That actually just pissed me off even more. They even suggested I take a ride in a couple of their cars as they are modded. Am I missing something here? So I asked them what version they are running and he said he did not know and would have to ask. It looks like I will have to speak with the tech's that have 335i's. I still can not belive they have modded cars, work for BMW and suggest I mod the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #560
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Back from dealer AND 29.2 6Mt vs 29.2 6AT comparo!

Well, I just dropped my car off (for brake squeak). The manger of the SA's came out and he came over to talk, since he knows my issue (actually he came out when he heard my BMW Performance exhaust in the shop ). I said, "so, any updates on the car running laggy and all?" He said "no, we haven't heard anything." I summarized everything again, and mentioned how we have 30 or so people on a list declaring the same problem, and a 30 page thread discussing it too. I told him people all over the world are involved now, and we are getting fed up. He was sympathetic but couldn't offer a sollution, obviously.
I then asked about a PUMA case, and he said that effectively I had a PUMA already, after they sent my FASTA data to BMW a couple of months ago when I came in for the problem. That didn't sound super convincing or clear to me, but, oh well.
I then asked about getting new hardware (wastegates etc) and that didn't go over well. I don't think they want to go out on that limb.
Then I asked about reverting back to 27.4. He said they sometimes do keep a computer around with old Progmans, but, only for a week or so. The funny part was, he said "we keep them for a week or so for those 'Oh No!' kind of situations where there's a big problem with the new software"...well, that's what we have here man!

Part Duex:

So, as my loaner, I got a 335 Vert. (wow, terrible thing on a sunny and 70 degree day here ). Plus, I thought, I can compare and learn something from this car, even if just for transmission differences, since this is an Auto.
As soon as I fired up the car, I knew it was 29.2+ due to the louder exhaust and burbling in first and second gear off-throttle. I confirmed this with the silver i-Drive-me-nuts screen.
While I was disappointed not to be able to feel a pre 29.2 car, I did want to feel what it's like for you guys with 29.2 and 6AT's.
It is SO FRIGGIN DIFFERENT than the 6MT with 29.2! Where my car has LAG below 3k rpm for about 1.5-2 seconds, then it springs forward, the AT car just GOES NOWHERE and never even snaps forward. It's really odd though, driving the AT, because if you want to go fast with rapid throttle input, you're going to mash the pedal and hit the kickdown and go to a lower gear anyway...so it took patients for me to NOT go past the detent so as to hold my gear in M mode.
I also found the build date of the car to be January 08, so this car was updated, and has V80, making it a good comparison to my in that way (as opposed to if it were a V81 car).
I realized the physical gearing is different, but I just did not expect to want to shoot myself so much driving the 6AT. For example, in my car, I can be driving at 65 mph in 6th gear, and (after 2 seconds of lag or so) effortlessly pass someone without downshifting. In the 6AT, it was a joke to leave it in 6th and try to accelerate from 60 mph (again, without hitting the kickdown).

Conclusion: 6AT and 6MT both blow with 29.2, but in different ways, IMHO from my brief testing.

Useful info for solving 29.2 generated from my efforts today: Zilch. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #561
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Well, I just dropped my car off (for brake squeak). The manger of the SA's came out and he came over to talk, since he knows my issue (actually he came out when he heard my BMW Performance exhaust in the shop ). I said, "so, any updates on the car running laggy and all?" He said "no, we haven't heard anything." I summarized everything again, and mentioned how we have 30 or so people on a list declaring the same problem, and a 30 page thread discussing it too. I told him people all over the world are involved now, and we are getting fed up. He was sympathetic but couldn't offer a sollution, obviously.
I then asked about a PUMA case, and he said that effectively I had a PUMA already, after they sent my FASTA data to BMW a couple of months ago when I came in for the problem. That didn't sound super convincing or clear to me, but, oh well.
I then asked about getting new hardware (wastegates etc) and that didn't go over well. I don't think they want to go out on that limb.
Then I asked about reverting back to 27.4. He said they sometimes do keep a computer around with old Progmans, but, only for a week or so. The funny part was, he said "we keep them for a week or so for those 'Oh No!' kind of situations where there's a big problem with the new software"...well, that's what we have here man!

Part Duex:

So, as my loaner, I got a 335 Vert. (wow, terrible thing on a sunny and 70 degree day here ). Plus, I thought, I can compare and learn something from this car, even if just for transmission differences, since this is an Auto.
As soon as I fired up the car, I knew it was 29.2+ due to the louder exhaust and burbling in first and second gear off-throttle. I confirmed this with the silver i-Drive-me-nuts screen.
While I was disappointed not to be able to feel a pre 29.2 car, I did want to feel what it's like for you guys with 29.2 and 6AT's.
It is SO FRIGGIN DIFFERENT than the 6MT with 29.2! Where my car has LAG below 3k rpm for about 1.5-2 seconds, then it springs forward, the AT car just GOES NOWHERE and never even snaps forward. It's really odd though, driving the AT, because if you want to go fast with rapid throttle input, you're going to mash the pedal and hit the kickdown and go to a lower gear anyway...so it took patients for me to NOT go past the detent so as to hold my gear in M mode.
I also found the build date of the car to be January 08, so this car was updated, and has V80, making it a good comparison to my in that way (as opposed to if it were a V81 car).
I realized the physical gearing is different, but I just did not expect to want to shoot myself so much driving the 6AT. For example, in my car, I can be driving at 65 mph in 6th gear, and (after 2 seconds of lag or so) effortlessly pass someone without downshifting. In the 6AT, it was a joke to leave it in 6th and try to accelerate from 60 mph (again, without hitting the kickdown).

Conclusion: 6AT and 6MT both blow with 29.2, but in different ways, IMHO from my brief testing.

Useful info for solving 29.2 generated from my efforts today: Zilch. Sorry.
yea with so many auto and mt people reporting problems, we knew it wasn't the at vs. mt thing. i started a thread on 1addicts to see if there was a v80 vs. v81 correlation http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13992 but it doesn't look like there is. some cars are fine and some lag, regardless of ecu. i told them re the at vs. mt thing but i still got a bunch of responses "its at only, man."

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #562
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

Quote:
As I already said, the silver screen is there even with v27.x (at least it was with my E92). Matter-of-fact, my car was quieter with v29.2 than with v27.x. Let's say it sounds different.

Quote:

Yup. But you can go fast with the 6AT, if you wish: it's like binary driving, once you press throttle hard enough, the car shifts down one or two gears and when it reaches 3500 RPM, the delay is gone and off you go. Sad thing is that this leads to worse mileage and you can scare unsuspecting pedestrians...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #563
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
yea with so many auto and mt people reporting problems, we knew it wasn't the at vs. mt thing. i started a thread on 1addicts to see if there was a v80 vs. v81 correlation http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13992 but it doesn't look like there is. some cars are fine and some lag, regardless of ecu. i told them re the at vs. mt thing but i still got a bunch of responses "its at only, man."
Havent been on the 1er page much, but my MT does have it. I have v81/29.2.
      08-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #564
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now you know why I have almost got into several accidents already as my car is an AT. You have to push it (pedal) further than half way down to get the car to move.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #565
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Matter-of-fact, my car was quieter with v29.2 than with v27.x
That's just crazy. Really baffling.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #566
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got back from the dealer. They located a pre v29.2 335i on the lot. We went out in both and you all know the outcome as the pre v29.2 was like driving a rocketship. They are keeping my car overnight and were already on the phone with BMWNA when I left. I know they can not do anything until BMWNA releases an update but at least we have another case. So, all of you that are experiencing the same issue please call and schedule an appointment so this is documented. I will post more tomorrow when I hear back from them.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #567
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Are the wastegates visible under the hood? I was thinking maybe to check my car vs. an older car to see if they have different part #'s or anything.
      08-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #568
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
i have an appointment tomorrow.
For LAGGY ASS CAR!
and SQUEAKY ASS BRAKES!
for the 2nd time.

Im not leaving till they fix it.
I will have them take my car and an older version N54 out and see how much lag my car really has.

I think my fuel pump is going out too.
My car take 5-7 sec. to start if i leave it sitting for over 4 hours.
so every morning, every evening when i go to my car to go home it cranks for 5-7 sec. then starts.
Is it going out?

Jeff
      08-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #569
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet135i View Post
i have an appointment tomorrow.
For LAGGY ASS CAR!
and SQUEAKY ASS BRAKES!
for the 2nd time.

Im not leaving till they fix it.
I will have them take my car and an older version N54 out and see how much lag my car really has.

so every morning, every evening when i go to my car to go home it cranks for 5-7 sec. then starts.
Is it going out?

Jeff
Creepy...I am in for the SAME "ass" appointment (lag...again...and brakes) and that's my name too. I just got a call but missed the SA, so hopefully he wasn't calling to say "we can't find the brake problem." or "it seems normal to us".

Good luck to you with the lag. I'm pullin for ya.

On a funny note about my current issues, since you're venting too... I drove into Tischer to get my BMW Perf exhaust on Saturday and as I'm tooling around the lot, my brakes are sealing like an old jalopy. There are lots of people out in the lot with CA's looking at cars. I have my windows down and was screaming "FORTY SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A POS WITH SQUEAKING BRAKES! Man, I would NOT but another one of these hunks of junk again!" " ...I got several odd stares.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #570
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got back from the dealer. They located a pre v29.2 335i on the lot. We went out in both and you all know the outcome as the pre v29.2 was like driving a rocketship. They are keeping my car overnight and were already on the phone with BMWNA when I left. I know they can not do anything until BMWNA releases an update but at least we have another case. So, all of you that are experiencing the same issue please call and schedule an appointment so this is documented. I will post more tomorrow when I hear back from them.
Wow! GREAT response from your dealer! Hey, baby steps...baby steps.

Keep pushing them. They sound like they're on board with helping as of now. Dealers hollering at BMW AG is the only way this will be fixed, I'm conviced.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #571
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
Are the wastegates visible under the hood? I was thinking maybe to check my car vs. an older car to see if they have different part #'s or anything.
Great idea, but I don't believe so. Someone with more kowledge may chime in differently. Not sure what is visible from underneath either...I don't think much is though, remembering last time I was under there.
Maybe someone working at BMW could see if there are different part #'s or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #572
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet135i View Post
Is it going out?
Jeff

Yep, sounds like it is going out. Can I request to have mine changed before this shit starts happening? I mean I know it is only a mtter of time. Is there a recall on the fuel pump that I can quote? I know if I ask to have it replaced they will not do so unless something is wrong.
Appreciate 0