E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > !!! Need Winter Driving Tips With a RWD !!!

01-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #23
frank0
Frank
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i xDrive

I'm in the same boat, first winter with RWD having previously had FWD cars. Recently got stuck driving up the hill to my house, it's not very steep, about 10%, but you lose momentum as you turn in because the turn in is fairly sharp. I have Continental winter tyres and had no problem on flat roads on snow, but I really thought I might have to leave the car on this hill, eventually made it by turning off the DSC, but the wheels were just spinning like crazy. Any advice for getting going on a hill on snow? I think I just panicked and was too heavy on the gas...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
WVU335I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I MSPORT 6SPD NAVI JB3

Garage List
2011 335I  [9.00]
dont drive thats what i do... i got a jeep wrangler for the snow and stuff.
      01-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #25
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0 View Post
I'm in the same boat, first winter with RWD having previously had FWD cars. Recently got stuck driving up the hill to my house, it's not very steep, about 10%, but you lose momentum as you turn in because the turn in is fairly sharp. I have Continental winter tyres and had no problem on flat roads on snow, but I really thought I might have to leave the car on this hill, eventually made it by turning off the DSC, but the wheels were just spinning like crazy. Any advice for getting going on a hill on snow? I think I just panicked and was too heavy on the gas...
the key on hills is to not break momentum when on allseasons, but with winter tires you shouldn't have too much of a problem...
you also need to be real gentle on the throttle

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #26
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLakers91tc View Post
the key on hills is to not break momentum when on allseasons, but with winter tires you shouldn't have too much of a problem...
you also need to be real gentle on the throttle
this. Even on a hill with snow tires, you have to be gentle or you will bite into the snow and spit it out..and dig yourself into a hole.

Even with the truck I feed out the clutch a bit and get the truck rolling a little before i ease into the gas.

The car will still have a delay in steering so plan ahead...dont turn at the last minute like on a normal day...they might bite but they might not, and you will end up pushing (understeer) into the pile of snow on the corner or worse, into a curb. Slow and steady wins the race.

having XI really helps though..and with snow tires, its pretty much unstoppable...only limit is ground clearance, but my girls car acts more like a snow plow than a car
Appreciate 0