E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E92 328xi sudden no start condition: ckp?

06-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Madmike90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI Sedan Black

E92 328xi sudden no start condition: ckp?

Hey guys I was hoping you could help with a problem in having with an automatic 08 328xi coupe. Im kinda stumped and don't want to just throw money at replacing parts without doing a proper diagnosis.

While driving the other day the car started bucking badly so I pulled over and the idle was pretty poor. Turned the car off, started it back up and the idle was normal, went to leave from a stop and as the Rpm's rose the car started bucking again so I shut it off, now the car doesn't want to start at all. Everything has power and the car will crank and crank but never fire. Doesn't even sound like it's trying to fire. I replaced the fuel pump and module which didn't help and I tried starting it while powering the fuel pump directly with 12V to rule out fuel pump wiring and no change. Car has a full tank of gas and I tried unplugging the fuel cap in case of a vapor lock.
Pulled the codes with a Carista Bluetooth dongle and am getting:
P0135 O2 sensor heater circuit,
P2243 O2 reference voltage circuit open,
P0340 camshaft position sensor "A" circuit bank 1 or single sensor,
P0365 camshaft pos. Sensor "B" circuit bank 1,
P1639,
P1417 and
P0016 for the crankshaft position sensor.

Any ideas here? I pulled the camshaft position sensors out and they look pretty clean, reinstalled and no luck. I know sometimes a crankshaft position sensor will cause a no start issue but can it fail suddenly like that? And will it cause the camshaft position sensor codes to trigger?

I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

I've heard of low battery or bad alternators throwing a bunch of weird codes but the fact that you can "crank and crank" your car kinda rules that out.

I personally would start with the crank sensor, but it would be throwing parts at it, which you specifically don't want to do, lol.

Still though depending on your mileage its probably getting ready to go out anyways and wouldn't be a total waste. Its just $75 for a VDO one.

You could inspect your eccentric shaft sensor for oil contamination, that would be something easy to do without having to spend any money, but there's no codes thrown for that so that's probably not it. Only takes 5 minutes though.

You could also inspect your O2 sensor connections for corrosion or any signs of wear. That'd be free and you might discover something pertaining to the O2 sensor codes.

You might have more luck with a BMW specific code reader that can tell you more about the problem than the generic universal OBDII codes.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:00 AM   #3
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Being that they are all engine related, defiantly check your battery, and all your grounds, the first would be a crank and cam sensor, since those will prevent a car from starting. Even tho you replaced your pump, throw a gauge to see what your psi is, and it's making its way to the rail. You can also check ohms on the sensors before you start buying them.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Madmike90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI Sedan Black

Okay update:

Replaced the crankshaft position sensor, no change.

Replaced the battery with a new one, no change.

Ensured there is power at the dme relay and there is.

Checked that fuel is getting to the rail by disconnecting line and attempting to start, there's plenty of flow/pressure.

Checked the injectors with multimeter and all 6 are receiving power (roughly 12v), however none are receiving ground signal when trying to start the car, which I realize is the problem.

The car will run barely if you spray starting fluid into the throttle body, so I know I have spark.

However, when running the car briefly off of starting fluid it sounds like there MAY be some mechanical chatter coming from the top end (hopefully not the sound of pistons kissing valves if it jumped timing)

So I guess my next course of action is trying to figure out how to fix this injector pulse issue.

Again dme relay has power and clicks and the vehicle has spark so I'm kinda stumped as to what could cause a no ground issue to the injectors.

Cliff notes:

Car has spark, fuel pressure and flow

No injector pulse

Dme relay has power

Crankshaft position sensor is new
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
RameshB
Shotta
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi; Space Grey

MadMike,
Did you find a solution?

Same thing. Heavy rumbling, engine was shaking, belt making noise. turned off, started, same problem. turned off, tried starting, cranked but wouldnt start.

So far the Cam Inlet and Outlet Sensor have been changed, the crank sensor, timing chain checked.
Mechanic is telling me he cant get a spark still
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
RameshB
Shotta
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi; Space Grey

Update: Mine was Vanos
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50