E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 9.5 MPG...........

04-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #23
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Beemers are actually best at 60mph (so are a lot of cars).

They aren't great in the city...but to be fair, NOTHING that has a I6/V6 or greater, that doesn't shut down cylinders, does well in the city/stopNgo.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #24
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Beemers are actually best at 60mph (so are a lot of cars).

They aren't great in the city...but to be fair, NOTHING that has a I6/V6 or greater, that doesn't shut down cylinders, does well in the city/stopNgo.
Maybe, but at 60 my wagon actually runs a little too low and requires a downshift on grades to keep that pace without more throttle... I really think 70ish+ is the sweet spot if you are going up and down in altitude. The motor is making enough torque to keep a 70+ pace without struggling in the top gear and needing excessive throttle manipulation or a downshift. Over the course of a 400+mile trip, that actually makes a huge difference.

Now most of this comes from personal data... I've done a few trips to Mammoth going up to the mountain from the LA area, deliberately seeing how the car returns the best mileage using CC. For me with gear in the back, keeping a little higher pace actually yielded slightly better results. Keeping a higher pace seemed to also keep time spent in the behind semis and RV's (60ish) at a minimum which means less throttle changes (using CC) which in the end gives better mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:15 PM   #25
wallacelau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post

basically, i shoulda bought an m3 for this mpg.

That is exactly what I think when I see my 12mpg in the city.....

If I cruise at 70mph on a flat road, I can get about 26 mpg (some people claim that they can get 30+). However, the mpg drops like a straight line when city driving involves. Mine is a N51 if that matters.

Last edited by wallacelau; 04-25-2019 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #26
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
i get around 9-13 mpg in nyc/new jersey.

what kills it is idling and driving below 10mph.

on longer road trips (highways) i get +25 mpg.

basically, i shoulda bought an m3 for this mpg.
Subtract 25-33% more gas and you’re at M3 numbers. They’re pretty bad. Subtract that same amount again to s85 numbers hahahahha
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #27
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

OP I'd say your mpg is abnormal and pretty bad. The worst I ever get is 16mpg but usually 18 and up. Maybe check things like your air filter (drop in a K&N and cut out your carbon filter) and tire pressure? I'm sure your wheels are really heavy and your run-flats don't help either. My 18" summer setup is lighter than my winter set-up. And they're actually stronger.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #28
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Subtract 25-33% more gas and you’re at M3 numbers. They’re pretty bad. Subtract that same amount again to s85 numbers hahahahha
u telling me an m3 gets 7mpg and m5 gets 5mpg in the city? damn
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #29
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Yeah a log would really tell all.

I have been quite surprised by how well my e91 does in fast freeway driving. Even moving at 80+ I can get 27-32 mpg (altitude dependent.) The n52 really was developed to be a pleasant high speed highway mill.

I really feel if the OP spent a few weeks outside his normal commute is less congestion he would probably see his MPG increase. LA is where cars go to get beaten to death.
i got 30 mpg going 80-85 on longer trips

6mt e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:48 PM   #30
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I'd say you are probably around 6 for the m5 and 7 or 8 for the m3 realistically in congested city driving, better if you live in a city where traffic isn't a huge issue. Depends on how long your traffic lights are, and how long spent in stop and go traffic, and how often you use the loud pedal.

My old e60 m5 with 130k on it did 4mpg average in the city... but I drove the wheels off that thing... and it was a cheap salvage car with a million issues so I'm sure there were other forces at play which is why I didn't mention it before. That car was always super thirsty.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #31
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Sounds pretty terrible to me, but if you’re in horrendous LA traffic, then maybe that’s normal.

My OBC average is about 21-22 MPG. That’s all city, but usually with decent stints on freeways.

In the middle of our hellish winter, when I’d idle way more and traffic was just worse in general, I was averaging around 17 MPG.

I guess YMMV! No pun intended.
      04-26-2019, 05:12 AM   #32
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:
Sorry, after reading that I might have sounded a little presumptuous... I don't know what traffic is like in ON... but the OP's described commute is literally some of the worsts surface street congestion in LA. The freeways all around that area aren't any better. There is really no good way about it, and you are never going to see anything near the MPG the car is capable of in less congested driving. While the driving style of the OP could be to blame, the reality is even trying to be deliberately thrifty in those conditions are going to yield a significantly lower city cycle.
No no not at all man. I have heard that LA is very bad. ON does not even compare. US has almost the same amount of people in one city than entire Canada..

Yeah to me it does seem wayy to bad and potentially a combination of driving and an actual fueling issue but then the good HWY numbers makes me question that.

What he needs to do here is log LTFT and STFT and A/F ratio during city driving. That will tell you quite a bit.
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, after reading that I might have sounded a little presumptuous... I don't know what traffic is like in ON... but the OP's described commute is literally some of the worsts surface street congestion in LA. The freeways all around that area aren't any better. There is really no good way about it, and you are never going to see anything near the MPG the car is capable of in less congested driving. While the driving style of the OP could be to blame, the reality is even trying to be deliberately thrifty in those conditions are going to yield a significantly lower city cycle.
No no not at all man. I have heard that LA is very bad. ON does not even compare. US has almost the same amount of people in one city than entire Canada..

Yeah to me it does seem wayy to bad and potentially a combination of driving and an actual fueling issue but then the good HWY numbers makes me question that.

What he needs to do here is log LTFT and STFT and A/F ratio during city driving. That will tell you quite a bit.
Have you not been on the 401? Busiest highway in North America; 16 lanes of misery during rush hour.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/opposite...1559577839/amp
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #33
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Have you not been on the 401? Busiest highway in North America; 16 lanes of misery during rush hour.

LA has multiple 401s. Thats kind of what i was saying. More population in general. We have one bad highway but thats about it. Ontario in general is not bad for traffic. Where as California would have way more traffic zones.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #34
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Pretty close. You’ll also find a lot of the threads from initial owners being basically pissed and disgusted. Subsequent owners tend to put up with it more as I believe they’re just incredibly enamored. The range on those cars in city environments is just kind of a PIA. once on the highway they’re ok, but not good. How many cylinders and how many liters makes a huge impact at low speeds. Doesn’t help when the car is also heavy.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #35
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:

I think it was in 2015. I was going from Etobicoke to Ajax for a week. I had no way of knowing, but people aka locals seemed to know where to go express and where to go collectors, and they darted back and forth....

As much as I like the area, I need to live where there's a good hockey team that doesn't disappoint
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #36
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
...As much as I like the area, I need to live where there's a good hockey team that doesn't disappoint
      04-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #37
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I think it was in 2015. I was going from Etobicoke to Ajax for a week. I had no way of knowing, but people aka locals seemed to know where to go express and where to go collectors, and they darted back and forth....

As much as I like the area, I need to live where there's a good hockey team that doesn't disappoint
I won't defend the Leafs, so much money spent on the team this and they keep choking at the end. I still remember the series they were leading 4-1 against Boston in the 3rd period. I went to get a drink and the game was tied. After that game, I only watch the final game of the playoffs. If I didn't have a good job, with family and lots of opportunities here; I'd be living somewhere hot like Arizona and Florida; small town with no traffic. Luckily transit is good and I stay off the roads during rush hour.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #38
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

LA has multiple 401s. Thats kind of what i was saying. More population in general. We have one bad highway but thats about it. Ontario in general is not bad for traffic. Where as California would have way more traffic zones.
Quote:
Quote:

Waterloo Ontario traffic is a dream. Venture out to the GTA, it's awful.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #39
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Waterloo Ontario traffic is a dream. Venture out to the GTA, it's awful.
Lived most of my life in Mississauga. I pretty much ran away from GTA
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #40
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I think what we were referring to is not necessarily one road with tons of traffic, but LA is a huge spiderweb of multiple 401's (be it a lane or two narrower) all intersecting. So when it comes to getting ANYWHERE at just about ANY hour you are dealing with stop and go... not just in on the freeway but in surface streets and it isn't limited to rush hour.

Right now best estimates put the greater LA area somewhere around 40 to 45 million people including undocumented persons. That number comes down a bit if you are only talking documented residents, but the simple fact is that is a ton of vehicles in an area that is only a few hundred square miles. I don't even know what the population of canada is right now, but I think it is below 40 million... it would probably be the equivalent of the entire population of canada all converging on one city for a weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #41
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think what we were referring to is not necessarily one road with tons of traffic, but LA is a huge spiderweb of multiple 401's (be it a lane or two narrower) all intersecting. So when it comes to getting ANYWHERE at just about ANY hour you are dealing with stop and go... not just in on the freeway but in surface streets and it isn't limited to rush hour.

Right now best estimates put the greater LA area somewhere around 40 to 45 million people including undocumented persons. That number comes down a bit if you are only talking documented residents, but the simple fact is that is a ton of vehicles in an area that is only a few hundred square miles. I don't even know what the population of canada is right now, but I think it is below 40 million... it would probably be the equivalent of the entire population of canada all converging on one city for a weekend.
Wow thats insane. It honestly doesnt compare our area.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:20 AM   #42
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Quote:

40 million?? The metro pop is 13 million...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #43
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Key word is metro... LA is an interesting spot... downtown the official census is around 4 million, metro is anywhere from 17-24 million, these are population numbers tracking actual residence... things get crazy after that and at any one given day, they estimate the number of persons in The LA area to be over 40 million. This is the the number they estimate use the roads, freeways and highways as well. Yeah his includes "visitors" which are made up of people who stay less than a year (Key metric here.)

The number can be a bit confusing and you have to extrapolate some info but the number isn't far off... the documented permanent residence of CA is right around 40 million but best estimates put it closer to 60 million actual persons.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #44
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Key word is metro... LA is an interesting spot... downtown the official census is around 4 million, metro is anywhere from 17-24 million, these are population numbers tracking actual residence... things get crazy after that and at any one given day, they estimate the number of persons in The LA area to be over 40 million. This is the the number they estimate use the roads, freeways and highways as well. Yeah his includes "visitors" which are made up of people who stay less than a year (Key metric here.)

The number can be a bit confusing and you have to extrapolate some info but the number isn't far off... the documented permanent residence of CA is right around 40 million but best estimates put it closer to 60 million actual persons.
Quote:
Quote:

That's due to the sanctuary city status and the perfect weather: not too hot, perfect humidity. You also need a car in LA it's not walking friendly. Our moron of a prime minister also believes in open borders, if we had California's weather we would be 400million. As big as Canada is, people congregate towards the big cities, there is 7 million just in the Toronto area and suburbs where the jobs and opportunities are
Appreciate 0