E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 325i Brake Pads - Sensor broken?

03-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
metalrobe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

325i Brake Pads - Sensor broken?

Hi All, I recently bought a 2011 325i and thouroughly enjoying it so far. The other day, warning came up on the console that the brake pads were worn and needed to be immediately replaced. It was the front right on in particular and it reckoned 1800km left on the back ones. Iv checked the pads and the front ones are about 80%, so looks like to me a false warning. Would it be the sensor? The back pads actually are maybe 40% or so worn. Can the sensor be reset?
Any help appreciated.
Also, and recommendations on good mechanic, inner west Sydney?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #2
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

It can be reset using the cruise control or indicator stalk, been to long cant remember. Youtube how to reset brakes e90 bmw.
The brakes maintenance are set by dates im pretty sure. Same as oil, filters etc.

Once a wheel brake sensor has come on the sensor itself needs to be replaced, this needs to be replaced as the brake wears down and makes contact with the sensor.

This sounds like its just the date that has recommended a brake pad change. So the sensor is likely ok and sounds like you have plenty of pad on front and rear that a sensor would not yet be activated.

Youtube it and youll be sorted free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Antho86
Australia
Rep
Drives: 325i + 7 others

I replaced sensors when I changed rotors and pads on my E90.

I did reset both sensors and they seem really inaccurate - sometimes the klm go down then go back up - totally inconsistent to klms actually traveled.

They were both OEM BMW sensors replaced at different time, I just ignore what the computer tells me.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Poor quality sensor or installation error.
Rear sensors can be left adrift after a brake fluid flush, chafing on the inside of the rim.
Front sensors due to their routing are generally ok. If the old sensor was transferred to the new pads to save money, the spring clip usually gets destroyed during removal so the sensor falls out and chafes on the wheel, eventually snapping the wires from vibration and bringing up the warning
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
[QUOTE=metalrobe;24522659]Hi All, I recently bought a 2011 325i and thouroughly enjoying it so far. The other day, warning came up on the console that the brake pads were worn and needed to be immediately replaced. It was the front right on in particular and it reckoned 1800km left on the back ones. Iv checked the pads and the front ones are about 80%, so looks like to me a false warning. Would it be the sensor? The back pads actually are maybe 40% or so worn. Can the sensor be reset?
Any help appreciated.
Also, and recommendations on good mechanic, inner west

Sensor is pretty simple but could be failing. Do you have any way of clearing the code? If so do that first and see if the warning comes back
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:05 AM   #6
Antho86
Australia
Rep
Drives: 325i + 7 others

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Poor quality sensor or installation error.
Rear sensors can be left adrift after a brake fluid flush, chafing on the inside of the rim.
Front sensors due to their routing are generally ok. If the old sensor was transferred to the new pads to save money, the spring clip usually gets destroyed during removal so the sensor falls out and chafes on the wheel, eventually snapping the wires from vibration and bringing up the warning
Not sure if that was a reply to me or not but I do check them when I rotate wheels and clean out all the brake dust.

They are genuine BMW from purchased from ECS tuning and installed correctly.

Just my observation that they don't seem to be an accurate indication of what is left on the pads.

The issue seemed to be there before I changed them out so could be something else who knows..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

They don't usually bring on that message unless the sensor has worn through or the cable has chafed/broken. Gently slide the heat protection sheaf back from the sensor tip and check the wires to the sensor
Appreciate 0