E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone considered: QTP/DMH Electric cutout?

04-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

Anyone considered: QTP/DMH Electric cutout?

Hey guys, I put this on the UK forum but got no response as this seems to be a more U.S predominant mod!

I got a mid sport exhaust fitted into my car last month which sounds absoloutley awesome. Its not intrusive and it just adds a deeper tone.

I want my car to sound more evil upon acceleration, without installing a louder backbox etc. I dont want my car to sound like an aeroplane whilst driving at 20mph.

I stumbled across these badboys! They are both leading manufacturers of electic cutouts. Basically, with a flip of a switch, you can control that raging exhaust sound. I'm not an expert but all I know is, there is a flap that opens upon flipping the switch and BOOM!

QTP Electric cutout:

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

DMH Electric cutout:

http://www.dmhperformance.com/

DMH:

not sure what car this is on but good example of mechanism:

QTP:

What do Y'all think? Legit?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Wouldn't that decrease Hp?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Wouldn't that decrease Hp?
Will it be a significant loss? ive seen people boasting about minor gains (IF TUNED CORRECTLY)

I dont know much about this but i'll definately look into it more!

Both company website comment on increased performance but I know that's probably just the marketing team talking!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

i knew someone with an audi s5 who had this done.
it was crazy loud with alot of drone, and it was very obvious the sound was coming out from under the car, like right where the front windows were.
FYI the new shelby mustang has a cutout and has side exhaust (where the cutouts lead) and a normal tailpipe outlet at the back.
they showed the whole car on its side and you could see the valves.

personally i think its too loud as it is right next to your window
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SH View Post
Will it be a significant loss? ive seen people boasting about minor gains (IF TUNED CORRECTLY)

I dont know much about this but i'll definately look into it more!

Both company website comment on increased performance but I know that's probably just the marketing team talking!
I would say 4-6 Hp loss
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay View Post
it was crazy loud with alot of drone, and it was very obvious the sound was coming out from under the car, like right where the front windows were.
FYI the new shelby mustang has a cutout and has side exhaust (where the cutouts lead) and a normal tailpipe outlet at the back.

Good point! I had a look under my car, this would install right infront of my backbox which is luckily towards the centre and left of the car!

I've seen people buy a downturned pipe to combat that so tht drone is not too excessive!

In all honesty, I'm only going to use this when i'm at the lights...ready to launch! and then switch it off as soon as I get up to cruising speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
I would say 4-6 Hp loss
LOL I'll get a ECU remap to compensate!

Thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

I would worry more about the quality of the product and whether it will hold up the extreme heat. These have been around for years and everyone I know who has ran a set of electric cutouts has had issues with the electrical system/motors not holding up.

-Nate
      04-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nate View Post
I would worry more about the quality of the product and whether it will hold up the extreme heat. These have been around for years and everyone I know who has ran a set of electric cutouts has had issues with the electrical system/motors not holding up.

-Nate
Thanks mate! I believe DMH comes with 4 years warranty on the product! Hopefully any problems I occur will be sorted out during that period!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

The problem is you are losing a TON of your back pressure. It may not sound like a huge loss in HP but you are effectively decreasing your torque numbers DRAMATICALLY.

Your power off the line will be much worse.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
The problem is you are losing a TON of your back pressure. It may not sound like a huge loss in HP but you are effectively decreasing your torque numbers DRAMATICALLY.

Your power off the line will be much worse.
AHhh! I see! I dont want that to happen! Maybe its a no no for this mod then!

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Electric cutouts work very well on turbo cars. The turbo vanes themselves provide most of the necessary back pressure. After the tubo you want to get the exhaust out as quickly as possible.

On an NA car you will lose the back pressure and alot of torque with it. It would be damn loud too on an N52.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Electric cutouts work very well on turbo cars. The turbo vanes themselves provide most of the necessary back pressure. After the tubo you want to get the exhaust out as quickly as possible.

On an NA car you will lose the back pressure and alot of torque with it. It would be damn loud too on an N52.
I dont think its that loud, few guys in the forum already running straight pipe to the back.

also US N52 cars had two sets of cats, i dont think its gonna need any more back pressure to generate low rpm tq. even for euro with 1 sets of cat i dont think its gonna be too much problem, with double vanos and valvetronic, N52 can manage its valve overlap pretty effeciently.
      04-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Yea depends where you place the cutout. If you had headers and this dump it would be real loud. If you did it with stock manifold retaining primary headers then it would be a little more muted. I was speaking to the traditional na vs turbo interms of back pressure.

I think youre right about the N52 being bale to adapt well. I personally love loud so this wouldn't bother me.

Someone man up and do it. I cant spend more cash right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
I dont think its that loud, few guys in the forum already running straight pipe to the back.

also US N52 cars had two sets of cats, i dont think its gonna need any more back pressure to generate low rpm tq. even for euro with 1 sets of cat i dont think its gonna be too much problem, with double vanos and valvetronic, N52 can manage its valve overlap pretty effeciently.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I dunno that sound clip of the M3 was pretty convincing... my god was that a nice sound when they had the valves open!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SH View Post
Thanks mate! I believe DMH comes with 4 years warranty on the product! Hopefully any problems I occur will be sorted out during that period!
Except for the cost you incur on installation and subsequent removal and reinstallation of the new part should you have an issue. Warranties on parts generally only cover the part, not the labor associated.

-Nate
      04-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

This is pretty popular mod for people who want to stay emissions friendly while being able to go to the track... Apparently its not about back pressure loss, but about maintaining velocity... With a proper setup you should yield gains...

Have to add this video, not relevant to discussion really, but fun to watch. Member at mbworld and his wife + cutouts. I died laughing the first time I watched it...

Last edited by E90 87ss; 04-17-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

I want to unleash the power, so ill order one screw it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay View Post

is his name Joe by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
jlcf22
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i09

anyone done this yet before the secondary cats? Ive seen youtube videos of them right before the mufflers but i wanna do a dump after the dp...and will the cutout fit in there because its pretty tight in there...i really really wanna do this set up
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

on the camaro i had in the sig it was a 9rwhp gain. But that motor has 11.8.1 compression.

On the BMW or audi.....no. dont do it.

Also the ele. portion are total crap. They break over and over again. leak, etc etc

in 3 yrs (with the car in storage for winter) i went threw 4 of them.

never again.
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0