E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > x5 35d wont start after injector was replaced Please Help!!!

01-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

x5 35d wont start after injector was replaced Please Help!!!

My car throw check engine light and when scanned the injector #5 was bad due to leaking partition it got shorted and only read about 140 Ohms but should be about 180 Ohms.
So i bought used injector, and cleaned all 6 of them by removing nozzle and socked them in carb cleaner, also while i was there I cleaned the carbon deposit from intake manifold,swirl flaps, Egr.
Put everything back together all new o-rings and seals ware installed all screws torqued per manufacturer specs.
The car fired up twice and shut off in about 5 seconds and after that i couldn't get it to fire back up again, then leather i read on somewhere that the air from fuel lines need to be bleed out i used the Ista and the program worked I could hear the pump working and air getting pushed trough the lines but that didn't help still no start.I also cranked open the injector rail and cranked the motor just little fuel is coming out there is no pressure i can see air bubbles in clear hose that is connected to HPFP.
also the bad thing I disconnected the battery when i was worked on the car for about 4 days and it looks like the FRM is fried the headlights are always on when ignition is on, windows wont roll down, no turn signals.
Would bad FRM cause the car not to start?
I also took picture of the error codes that ista finds.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
ninja_zx11
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 diesel 2009

Check this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Yes. It sounds like your FRM failed.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Yes. It sounds like your FRM failed.
Do you know if the car can be started with bad FRM or this module is just for light mirrors etc.thanks,,
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

I spent about half day today trying to prime the pump and got about 4 liters of the diesel fuel bleed trough and the fuel is now moving fast, Ista shows under fuel sensor pressure up to 10 Bar about 145 Psi when cranked but the engine still wont start for some reason that is the highest it gets, But after the car seats for about 2 minutes i can see the air bobbles again in clear hose coming from HPFP so this is telling me air is still in system.

I used to bleed old VW in 5 minutes but this with BMW is pain.
What is minimum rail pressure to start

Last edited by blue335xi; 01-21-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Check other thread. I was also thinking. May be try direct wiring the lift pump and run it for a minute. That will ensure no air is in the low pressure side of the system. You will also ensure that HPFP will be lubricated and then try cranking it to build a pressure in the fuel rail.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:51 PM   #7
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue335xi View Post
Do you know if the car can be started with bad FRM or this module is just for light mirrors etc.thanks,,
Usually can.Interior/mirrors/lights/windows.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:47 AM   #8
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Can be started and driven. Just your blinkers, windows, hazards, interior lights will not work. Your brake lights will work and your low beams will be on whenever the engine is running. Otherwise, your car will function as usual.

Here is the FRM resurrection thread.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...M+resurrection
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #9
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well things just didn't make sense with the air bobbles that return back after the air has bin bleed out so I thought there has to be issue past the HPFP and I decided to replace all 6 injectors that I borrowed from friends car installed it bleed the system with Ista hit the start button and it STARTED Immediately runs like new tested it on road no issues.

So yes I messed up from the beginning by taking injectors nozzles apart and cleaning them with carb cleaner and brake cleaner and they ware installed dry and probably stuck open which pulled air from cylinder and that's way dose bobbles always came back,i should have soaked the parts in diesel than put it back together. Also it could be that i didn't know the torque specs and I just tightened them until it wont turn.

I will try to repair injectors but I cant find the torque values for nozzles please if you have any info post it here.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #10
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So yes I messed up from the beginning by taking injectors nozzles apart and cleaning them with carb cleaner and brake cleaner and they ware installed dry and probably stuck open which pulled air from cylinder and that's way dose bobbles always came back,i should have soaked the parts in diesel than put it back together. Also it could be that i didn't know the torque specs and I just tightened them until it wont turn.

I will try to repair injectors but I cant find the torque values for nozzles please if you have any info post it here.
There are A LOT of parts in there, are you sure you go them back together right? For the record I took apart two that were giving me codes, after putting them back together I sent all of mine out for testing, those two and one other failed. Not 100% if that was on my end or the were really bad to start.

I would not recommend taking them apart.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

Quote:
Well things just didn't make sense with the air bobbles that return back after the air has bin bleed out so I thought there has to be issue past the HPFP and I decided to replace all 6 injectors that I borrowed from friends car installed it bleed the system with Ista hit the start button and it STARTED Immediately runs like new tested it on road no issues.

have you ever managed to fix your injectors?
Appreciate 0