E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DIY: How to setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 w/Windows 10 x64 (64-bit)

10-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #111
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzed View Post
This is what happens when I attempt the step to load the NFS\Entpackt.

Instructions say ActiveX controls will fail to register. I don't see that happening
You haven't reached the point in the installation process where the ActiveX controls fail to register...

Refer to the prior screenshot (excerpt below):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
[...]
When this screen appears, be sure to select Windows XP. For all other selections, accept the default and click Weiter which is German for "further."

[...]
This DIY does not contain a screenshot of literally every step of the process...

With all due respect, if something as simple as clicking on "Weiter" tripped you up, you do not posses the requisite knowledge needed to successfully complete the DIY as explained in the preface:

Quote:
[...]
The software is complicated and requires a significant effort to understand. If you're technically astute, comfortable with Microsoft Windows administrative tasks, and want to learn to manually install the software and integrate the SP daten files on which it depends, this is the right DIY for you.
[...]

Last edited by 808AWD325xi; 10-28-2016 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #112
xyzed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92

This DIY does not contain a screenshot of literally every step of the process...

With all due respect, if something as simple as clicking on "Weiter" tripped you up, you do not posses the requisite knowledge needed to successfully complete the DIY as explained in the preface:[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the input and when I look at an instruction set showing a step to load NFS and the next screen shot shows the failed two ActiveX registry pics, I err to the side of caution and "Abbrechen" (probably means abort) the program and ask the question. It is a PIA to reload windows if I were in error of the instructions. As long as I now know that not all screen shots are included I will move forward.

PS! maybe your phrase should have ready "Maybe!! you do not possess>>>>>"

HEY MORON!! (with no respect for you) THE NEXT TIME YOU INSULT MY LEVEL OF INTELLIGENCE I AM GOING TO ALL OVER YOU.

Last edited by xyzed; 10-29-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #113
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Any alternative download sites rather than the server in China? Going to take me 12+ hours to download lol

Feel free to PM me if you do not want to openly share. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #114
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the input and when I look at an instruction set showing a step to load NFS and the next screen shot shows the failed two ActiveX registry pics, I err to the side of caution and "Abbrechen" (probably means abort) the program and ask the question. It is a PIA to reload windows if I were in error of the instructions. As long as I now know that not all screen shots are included I will move forward.

PS! maybe your phrase should have ready "Maybe!! you do not possess>>>>>"

HEY MORON!! (with no respect for you) THE NEXT TIME YOU INSULT MY LEVEL OF INTELLIGENCE I AM GOING TO ALL OVER YOU.
Welcome to my ignore list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottWhat View Post
Any alternative download sites rather than the server in China? Going to take me 12+ hours to download lol

Feel free to PM me if you do not want to openly share. Thanks!
Not that I'm aware of.
      10-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #115
ninja_zx11
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 diesel 2009

Quote:
Do you know 808AWD325xi is one of the very few people who wrote this great DIY for INPA.Better to thank him instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #116
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of.
Thanks, I am going to upload it to my onedrive when it finally downloads. It is now stuck at 18% going at 0 bytes/sec lol
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #117
devildogae
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI

After my windows 8 installed 10 on it's own, I can still connect via INPA, but my DIS and RHEINGOLD, which are VMware, will not work anymore, not connecting... I know this thread isn't for the later, but I'm hoping someone might have some tips to look for.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #118
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Do you know 808AWD325xi is one of the very few people who wrote this great DIY for INPA.Better to thank him instead.
Dude I think you need to keep your nose out of my business or I will be ing on you too
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #119
xyzed
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=808AWD325xi;20779429]Welcome to my ignore list!
Man I did not know there is an ignore list. I have to look into that and make you first on my list
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #120
Vin_Ka
Registered
Rep
Drives: E53 X5

Thank you very much for this perfect explanation!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #121
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdadi View Post
I got everything installed correctly and looked up my I-level, and it is a version that's not even on that chart -- I assume this means it hasn't been updated since it was built in 2009.

Are there any benefits from updating some or all of the modules? I have the newest SP-Daten.

808 - what do you think ? I'd think it's worth updating to later/latest. Can you maybe describe how this can be done ? Or we need to do it module by module ?

nice write-up !
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #122
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
808 - what do you think ? I'd think it's worth updating to later/latest. Can you maybe describe how this can be done ? Or we need to do it module by module ?

nice write-up !
Thanks, Daan.

If you have an ICOM interface and a stable power supply, it's best to use ISTA/P to update the entire vehicle to the latest i-level. It will generate a measures plan that describes which modules need to be updated to which firmware releases to achieve a specific integration level.

With a K+DCAN cable, I wouldn't recommend it. In particular, you would want to avoid reprogramming any modules attached to the MOST bus. With WinKFP, it would have to be done on a module by module basis.

Generally speaking, unless a SIB is published by BMW recommending a firmware update to solve a particular issue you are experiencing, it's probably not worth the risk. Which is why even dealers are sometimes reluctant to do it, even if you're willing to pay for their services.
      02-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #123
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
With a K+DCAN cable, I wouldn't recommend it. In particular, you would want to avoid reprogramming any modules attached to the MOST bus. With WinKFP, it would have to be done on a module by module basis.

Generally speaking, unless a SIB is published by BMW recommending a firmware update to solve a particular issue you are experiencing, it's probably not worth the risk. Which is why even dealers are sometimes reluctant to do it, even if you're willing to pay for their services.
Thanks for the reply. I'd think that like with say Windows OS or AV software, the later firmware versions have worthwhile updates and fixes. The risk you mentioned - is related to wrong update being potentially uploaded, or problems while doing it (low car battery, laptop battery, comm glitches), or ?

I only have K+DCAN cable, and given it's a 10/2006 mfg date it actually uses the K-Line not the CANBUS/DCAN (needs >03/2007).

Lastly, is a rollback an easier task than a firmware update ? I need to at min do a DME rollback to factory defaults, but I was thinking it might be a better idea to just update to a newer version (roll forward vs. roll back).
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #124
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'd think that like with say Windows OS or AV software, the later firmware versions have worthwhile updates and fixes. The risk you mentioned - is related to wrong update being potentially uploaded, or problems while doing it (low car battery, laptop battery, comm glitches), or ?

I only have K+DCAN cable, and given it's a 10/2006 mfg date it actually uses the K-Line not the CANBUS/DCAN (needs >03/2007).

Lastly, is a rollback an easier task than a firmware update ? I need to at min do a DME rollback to factory defaults, but I was thinking it might be a better idea to just update to a newer version (roll forward vs. roll back).
Software (OS, applications, etc.) is not the same thing as firmware. A firmware upgrade to a module is akin to flashing your computer's BIOS.

Should something go awry, a typical computer motherboard is not very expensive and replacement parts are readily available. Depending upon the module in question, it's a whole other story in terms of cost and availability. That's the risk.

WinKFP can upgrade or downgrade firmware. Downgrades require the use of expert mode.
      02-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #125
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

^Thanks ! I get the risks. It sounds like an "anything can go wrong" type thing whereas I has trying to see if there was one thing in particular. I flashed bios-es and phones before, yes it is always scary but doable. Cost of failure here is high that's for sure...

So is a rollback / downgrade easier than a roll forward / upgrade ? Meaning does it involve less risk ? To compare to a PC, it's like a restore from a backup partition ?

And any pointers as to a good source of learning how to do it ? I'm just at the beginning of such stuff, all I've done so far is turn my digital speed indicator on .
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #126
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
[...]
So is a rollback / downgrade easier than a roll forward / upgrade ? Meaning does it involve less risk ? To compare to a PC, it's like a restore from a backup partition ?
No, upgrading the firmware is easier because you can use comfort mode. You don't have to specify as many parameters.

Quote:
And any pointers as to a good source of learning how to do it ? I'm just at the beginning of such stuff, all I've done so far is turn my digital speed indicator on .
This thread gives a basic overview of the process:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873746
      02-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #127
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
No, upgrading the firmware is easier because you can use comfort mode. You don't have to specify as many parameters.
Thanks.

OK, but in terms of duration, are they also comparable ? I thought a reset to factory default would be quicker, maybe because I keep thinking in PC terms.

Also, do you need to upgrade other modules when upgrading DME ? I read suggestions about EKP & FZD...

Also, do you know ho to reset adaptation using Tool32 not INPA ? (supposedly it's more complete).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #128
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

OK, but in terms of duration, are they also comparable ? I thought a reset to factory default would be quicker, maybe because I keep thinking in PC terms.

Also, do you need to upgrade other modules when upgrading DME ? I read suggestions about EKP & FZD...

Also, do you know ho to reset adaptation using Tool32 not INPA ? (supposedly it's more complete).
Yes, in terms of duration, they're the same.

As far as needing to upgrade other modules, that's certainly a possibility. That's why it's best to stick with a factory defined i-level. If you generate a measures plan with ISTA/P, it will specify which modules need to be upgraded.

There is usually no difference in terms of resetting adaptations with Tool32 versus INPA. They both have access to the same EDIABAS APIs.

With Tool32, open the appropriate SGBD and look for jobs relating to adaptations.
      02-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #129
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Yes, in terms of duration, they're the same.

As far as needing to upgrade other modules, that's certainly a possibility. That's why it's best to stick with a factory defined i-level. If you generate a measures plan with ISTA/P, it will specify which modules need to be upgraded.
Thanks. don't have ISTA yet. seems the way to go.

Quote:
There is usually no difference in terms of resetting adaptations with Tool32 versus INPA. They both have access to the same EDIABAS APIs.

With Tool32, open the appropriate SGBD and look for jobs relating to adaptations.
Well, there seem to be resets via gas pedal, via INPA, via Tool32, and via ISTA. Been told they also go in this order (in terms of completeness / how deep they do it). It sure seem from whab I read that the ISTA reset has solved issues for many. Being that I'm for now w/o ISTA I'm trying Tool32.

(my guess so far: load MSV80.prg / adap_selektiv_loeschen but I've no idea what to enter as arguments. read some places 255;255;255 , in others 1;0;0 ... so I'm lost)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #130
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. don't have ISTA yet. seems the way to go.

Well, there seem to be resets via gas pedal, via INPA, via Tool32, and via ISTA. Been told they also go in this order (in terms of completeness / how deep they do it). It sure seem from whab I read that the ISTA reset has solved issues for many. Being that I'm for now w/o ISTA I'm trying Tool32.

(my guess so far: load MSV80.prg / adap_selektiv_loeschen but I've no idea what to enter as arguments. read some places 255;255;255 , in others 1;0;0 ... so I'm lost)
Yup, ADAP_SELEKTIV_LOESCHEN is the correct job. Per the SGBD, bit 1 clears the adaptation and bit 0 retains the old value:
Code:
	<JOB>
		<JOBNAME>ADAP_SELEKTIV_LOESCHEN</JOBNAME>
		<JOBCOMMENT>0x3130 ADAP_SELEKTIV_LOESCHEN</JOBCOMMENT>
		<JOBCOMMENT>Löschen von Adaptionen und gelernte Varianten</JOBCOMMENT>
		<JOBCOMMENT>Aktivierung: Klemme 15 = EIN UND Drehzahl = 0 1/min</JOBCOMMENT>
		<JOBCOMMENT>Activation: LV_IGK = 1 UND LV_ES = 1</JOBCOMMENT>
		<ARG>
			<ARGNAME>AUSWAHLBYTE_1</ARGNAME>
			<ARGTYPE>int</ARGTYPE>
			<ARGCOMMENT>Bit=1 löscht Bit=0 behält alten Wert</ARGCOMMENT>
		</ARG>
		<ARG>
			<ARGNAME>AUSWAHLBYTE_2</ARGNAME>
			<ARGTYPE>int</ARGTYPE>
		</ARG>
		<ARG>
			<ARGNAME>AUSWAHLBYTE_3</ARGNAME>
			<ARGTYPE>int</ARGTYPE>
		</ARG>
		<RESULT>
			<RESULTNAME>JOB_STATUS</RESULTNAME>
			<RESULTTYPE>string</RESULTTYPE>
			<RESULTCOMMENT>&quot;OKAY&quot;, wenn fehlerfrei</RESULTCOMMENT>
		</RESULT>
		<RESULT>
			<RESULTNAME>_TEL_AUFTRAG</RESULTNAME>
			<RESULTTYPE>binary</RESULTTYPE>
			<RESULTCOMMENT>Hex-Auftrag an SG</RESULTCOMMENT>
		</RESULT>
		<RESULT>
			<RESULTNAME>_TEL_ANTWORT</RESULTNAME>
			<RESULTTYPE>binary</RESULTTYPE>
			<RESULTCOMMENT>Hex-Antwort von SG</RESULTCOMMENT>
		</RESULT>
	</JOB>
That's the same job as a MSD85. With the MSD85, the proper arguments to clear all adaptations are 0xFF;0xEF;0xFF.

Each bit represents a specific adaptation; idle, knocking, O2 sensors, etc.

If you found this information useful, please click on the Appreciate button at the bottom of this post.

Last edited by 808AWD325xi; 02-12-2017 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #131
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

so wait are you saying 1;1;1 deletes all adaptations, not 1;0;0 ? from and MSD80_ipo I found online:

Code:
Alle Adaptionswerte
ı ADAP_SELEKTIV_LOESCHEN
1;0;0
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #132
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
so wait are you saying 1;1;1 deletes all adaptations, not 1;0;0 ? from and MSD80_ipo I found online:

Code:
Alle Adaptionswerte
ı ADAP_SELEKTIV_LOESCHEN
1;0;0
No, that is not what I am saying...you are misinterpreting what you are seeing in a binary (.IPO).

For MSD80, MSD81, and MSD85, the proper arguments to the ADAP_SELEKTIV_LOESCHEN job are 0xFF;0xEF;0xFF. That deletes all adaptations except for the battery.

For MSV80, which I believe is the DME that you have, the proper arguments are 0xFF;0x6F;0xFF.

EDIT:
For MSV70, the proper arguments are 0xFF;0x6F;0x7F.

If you found this information useful, please click on the Appreciate button at the bottom of this post.

Last edited by 808AWD325xi; 02-13-2017 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Added MSV70 for the sake of completeness
Appreciate 1
DaanBMW84.00