E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > post break in - engine power problems

08-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
bmw330ipty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Porsche Cayenne

post break in - engine power problems

hey,

i remember a couple members here were having problems with their engines that the power was strong one day and then weak another and that the power wasnt consistent... any body still having problems?? any members with these kind of problems?

and those members with about 5,000 miles, do u feel the power is much better compared to when it had about 2,000 miles?

thanks,

BD
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Wow...yes, that IS me. I'm still having problems, and in fact just noticed it terribly coming back from lunch. I reported this at my last service, and they said they could not "replicate" the problem. You'd have to be a total moron to drive it 15-20 minutes and NOT notice the hesitation. It stumbles terribly at times, as if it is retarding the spark (or whatever is the whiz-bang 2005 technical equivalent). I rarely ever get full power/torque right off of the line. The temperature affects performance more than it seems it should for a normally aspirated car. My power is never consistent, and I have to stab the throttle numerous times to "lodge" it loose so to speak. I wish I could trade someone for a week to see if this is in fact an anomoly with my car.

I'm not very satisfied at all. If it were consistently as powerful as it is at times, it would be one phenomenal car. But usually, my car feels heavy and not so quick on its feet. At this point, I'm not happy.

Titanium Sliver 330i, 6-speed, sport
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
bmw330ipty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4
Wow...yes, that IS me. I'm still having problems, and in fact just noticed it terribly coming back from lunch. I reported this at my last service, and they said they could not "replicate" the problem. You'd have to be a total moron to drive it 15-20 minutes and NOT notice the hesitation. It stumbles terribly at times, as if it is retarding the spark (or whatever is the whiz-bang 2005 technical equivalent). I rarely ever get full power/torque right off of the line. The temperature affects performance more than it seems it should for a normally aspirated car. My power is never consistent, and I have to stab the throttle numerous times to "lodge" it loose so to speak. I wish I could trade someone for a week to see if this is in fact an anomoly with my car.

I'm not very satisfied at all. If it were consistently as powerful as it is at times, it would be one phenomenal car. But usually, my car feels heavy and not so quick on its feet. At this point, I'm not happy.

Titanium Sliver 330i, 6-speed, sport
AudiA4,

man its terrible to hear that ur still having these serious problems... i think that the temp. shouldnt have such a huge effect on the acceleration and cause for inconsistent power...u should probably take a service guy for a ride and try to show it to the dealership again to fix it... btw, did u buy a car with more than 50-100 miles, cuz if u did then maybe it wasnt broken in and this is causing the problems??

u should def. drive another 330 to see if its normal behavior or just ur car!!

please let us know how things come along for u...

BD
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Lemon the mofo.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

ipity, why don't you arrange with your dealer exactly what you have suggested. swap your car for another 330 for as long as it takes them to notice and understand the problem.

seems to be an intermittent problem that could originste from so many sources and possibly even a combination of them. you need to have your dealer find the problem and fix it before it gets worse.

all the best in sorting this unfortunate issue.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Thanks for all the support guys. I'm going to have to set this up with the dealer. I trust that my position on this is not over-sensitivity to normal variations in any car's power, but I wasn't born yesterday and never observed this (continual) problem in any of my previous cars. I suppose that part of the outcome will be my impression of another 330...but 6-speeds are far and few between, especially for a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

sorry, I should have directed my post to AudiA4, not ipity.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
jbl16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

On my cts, specially on hot days i could feel the engine was a lot slower at times, i had to push it a lot harder to accelerate etc. This is one of the reasons i switched over to the 330i and its reowned Inline 6. My 330's performance seems consistent in performance specially these days in 95F+ weather were my cts seemed to bog down fast. Anyways you should try to resolve this with your dealer or just lemon the car, it must be frustrating but this is obviously not normal :'(
      09-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
blaine
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 sedan

AudiA4: i have a 330i with almost 6k on it and your problem is EXACTLY the same as mine, you are not alone! I just dont know how to convey the problem to the dealership. But just like you said.. sometimes it will jump off the line, others it will slowly accelerate, sometimes i even get tire chirp off the line, others it feels like i'm driving a prius..very strange indeed. However, at higher speeds it always performs well.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 03:56 AM   #10
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
AudiA4: i have a 330i with almost 6k on it and your problem is EXACTLY the same as mine, you are not alone! I just dont know how to convey the problem to the dealership. But just like you said.. sometimes it will jump off the line, others it will slowly accelerate, sometimes i even get tire chirp off the line, others it feels like i'm driving a prius..very strange indeed. However, at higher speeds it always performs well.
EXACTLY THE SAME HERE. Sometimes I just hold the gears longer on steptronic mode to not deal with the lag, but gas is rising and conservative driving is key for now. The temperature affects the performance of my 330i significantly and always performs better when it is cold. It performs much better at higher speeds as well. Personally, i have come to believe that this problem is because of bmw's conservative, tall gearing and their "great" drive-by-wire system. I think this is why we get such significantly better gas mileage on the highway compared to the e46 330. This is just my opinion and i hope the problem is solved by bmw soon (Personally, i think this problem can be fixed by a different final gear ratio). This engine hiccup is making me miss my e46 330ci waaay too much and definitely needs to be FIXED.

Just for reference: my car now has 4,600 miles

Last edited by a burrito; 09-05-2005 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #11
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it always pulls hard at speed. I just have such inconsistent power delivery in gears 1-3. Like I said, if it consistently pulled hard all of the time (or at least most of the time?) like it does periodically, it would be one awesome car. As it is, I don't feel like I got my money's worth to be completely honest.

I'll have the dealer check this out, but if this isn't tracked down in the near future, I won't be keeping this car long-term. I'll go track down a CTS-V, an SRT-8 (Charger or 300C) or an S4, which I can assure you won't have any problems with power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #12
markh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325iSE

Have you tried getting a software update in case it is due to the engine management system?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 04:05 PM   #13
blaine
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 sedan

Mark, i havent had any software updates to my car sense i bought it during the initial release of the E90's. I am waiting to take it in for the september update and hopefully that will include some improvements to the engine management system like you said.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #14
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Mark, i havent had any software updates to my car sense i bought it during the initial release of the E90's. I am waiting to take it in for the september update and hopefully that will include some improvements to the engine management system like you said.
Guys,

I have been "serviced" for this problem when I took my 330 in for a bluetooth repair. I kidd you not, on the drive home, the car drove like a scalded cat. I was ecstatic. The next day, same old problem.

So...the apparent fix was either:

1 - Low fuel level (weird, but I've noticed it drives much better on fumes)
2 - The software update provided worked for a while, then didn't
3 - They put some additive in the (small amount of) fuel
4 - It was my imagination (it wasn't)

I don't have any idea what the deal is, but the next time it goes in, they're going to keep it until they replicate and acknowledge the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #15
lumberman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

as many of you guys stated that temp has a huge effect on power delivery, could it be the new cooling system used in e90? I'm not a technical guy but I remember I read somewhere that the new cooling system will not required engine power and hence increase performace by 5%... something like that..

anyway, I had my car for a week, and I notice the same problem, let's hope that it is something the software update can fix..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #16
Username18
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Is this a problem that is transmission specific. Those with the problem, who has AUTO and who has manual?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #17
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username18
Is this a problem that is transmission specific. Those with the problem, who has AUTO and who has manual?
Manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 10:11 PM   #18
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberman
but I remember I read somewhere that the new cooling system will not required engine power and hence increase performace by 5%... something like that..
Electric water pump that comes on when required as opposed to the old mechanical one driven by the pulley/fan belt system.

Makes the overall engine size shorter, drops the pumping system power usage down from 2KW all the way down to about 200W - something like that.

Increases engine efficiency & power/torque somewhere along the line.

Sounds good to me!!!
Appreciate 0