E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Pure 600s or RB 2 plus?

05-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Pure 600s or RB 2 plus?

As I close in on 112k miles on my n54 it appears to be time for new turbos, the waste gate rattle is unbearable and while still hitting 21 psi they seem a bit more tired than a few thousand miles ago.

I've done years of research trying to decide the best set up for my goals and am finally closing in on a decision.

I have ruled out going single turbo, I would love the benefits of having a single but i would go top mount for sure if I were to go that route. That being said there seems to be no "perfect" top mount kit, I'd be willing to pay the price of a doc race kit but even that one isn't perfect! I know they have made a few revisions to the kit but I'm not sure that makes it worth the price.

As far as my goals for my car I'd like to make no more than 600whp. I live in a somewhat populated area and most of the driving will not allow for use of much more.

My biggest concern is reliability and longevity out of new twins, I've basically narrowed it down to pure or rb, both brands that have been around for a while and have good track records for costumer service.

The turbos from pure I'm interested in are the 600s and from rb the TD03 stage 2 plus, both turbos I would guess are decently similar with close to the same power rating

So if you've made it this far my question is what turbos would better? Would there be that big of a difference? Are there any other options I'm totally overlooking? Does anyone have first hand experience with either?

Thank you for the help!
      05-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

I think both are solid choices. A big difference between the two are the RB Two's use the factory turbo housings that are modified. The Pure 600's use aftermarket castings. Personally I would go RB but that is because I have had good luck with their products.

One thing to consider with your power goal is you will need secondary fueling and that is pushing it on stock housings (both Pure 600 and RB 2). It will be much cheaper to back your goal down to the 525-550 range and still be plenty fun.
      05-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I'm in the same spot....my oem turbos are worn and I will need new turbos soon. I will say that without a doubt....go RB. I've been talking to Rob the last month or so trying to figure out what turbos I want to go with...and the guy is a wealth of knowledge, and an overall nice guy that knows his stuff.

His shop is only a couple hours from me...so that's even better. I'm just going back and forth between the TWO's or the TWO Plus's......both turbos will make more power than my stock DI setup can support as far as fueling goes. I'm looking to make a solid 500hp at the wheels, and either turbo will get there with an E40 mix and still be efficient and not forced to run crazy boost.

Go RB.....I don't think you will be disappointed....I haven't found anyone else that's been nothing but happy with their RB's. 👍

Also....make sure you pick who you want to do your custom tune before you get your turbos. They will be able to tell you what's needed for your power goals. If you are looking for an honest 600hp....you will need port injection in order to provide enough fuel. I didn't want to mess with PI....so I'm limited to around 500-ish hp, which should be a quick little 335i.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500 View Post
I think both are solid choices. A big difference between the two are the RB Two's use the factory turbo housings that are modified. The Pure 600's use aftermarket castings. Personally I would go RB but that is because I have had good luck with their products.

One thing to consider with your power goal is you will need secondary fueling and that is pushing it on stock housings (both Pure 600 and RB 2). It will be much cheaper to back your goal down to the 525-550 range and still be plenty fun.
Glad to hear! I really haven't heard anything bad about rb, in fact all I've heard is that rob is an awesome guy and knows his stuff like you said! Seeming harder to come by on this chassis the older it gets!

I currently have a stage 2 fuel-it bucketed pump and am running just over a half tank of e85 so I figured that would probably be good for under 600. I'll think about adding port injection once the new set up is installed, mainly because I need an excuse for an after market intake manifold!
      05-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I'm in the same spot....my oem turbos are worn and I will need new turbos soon. I will say that without a doubt....go RB. I've been talking to Rob the last month or so trying to figure out what turbos I want to go with...and the guy is a wealth of knowledge, and an overall nice guy that knows his stuff.

His shop is only a couple hours from me...so that's even better. I'm just going back and forth between the TWO's or the TWO Plus's......both turbos will make more power than my stock DI setup can support as far as fueling goes. I'm looking to make a solid 500hp at the wheels, and either turbo will get there with an E40 mix and still be efficient and not forced to run crazy boost.

Go RB.....I don't think you will be disappointed....I haven't found anyone else that's been nothing but happy with their RB's. 👍

Also....make sure you pick who you want to do your custom tune before you get your turbos. They will be able to tell you what's needed for your power goals. If you are looking for an honest 600hp....you will need port injection in order to provide enough fuel. I didn't want to mess with PI....so I'm limited to around 500-ish hp, which should be a quick little 335i.
I think I will definitely send him an email with some questions about exactly what turbos would be best for my set up! There's is a lot of options on his website and it makes it very hard to pinpoint the best!

I would say I'm more than happy with even the stock turbos at the moment but would love to see a little more top end, so I'm in the same boat not really trying to push it too hard!

And yes definitely doing a custom tune and have a tuner in mind! I'm not super interested in hitting exact numbers but more into how fun/useable/fast the care feels above all else!
      05-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Both awesome turbos but I think when my time for upgraded turbos comes, I will go RB. Excellent price, very good reliability and a bit cheaper than Pure.

I think you'd be super pleased with either one though.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #7
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, call Rob up. He gives some pretty big discounts depending on your payment method. Honestly, if you are happy with stock turbos you can get a set of brand new ones from FCP Euro with a lifetime warranty that will probably last forever......or a few hundred more you can get the RB TWO's and be in the 475-525-ish HP range depending on what fuel you want to run (93 or and ethanol blend like E40)...maybe more depending on how hard your tuner wants to push them.

I figured that if I'm going to go to the trouble of swapping turbos....why not upgrade and get some more power. With the RB TWO's you can use stock inlets and outlets if you want....so that will same you some money. With the TWO Plus's...you have to use aftermarket outlets....but they should get you a little more power.

Call Rob...he can point you in the right direction. It's nice to be able to call up the owner of the company and talk to them.....not sure you would even call at Pure if you had questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, call Rob up. He gives some pretty big discounts depending on your payment method. Honestly, if you are happy with stock turbos you can get a set of brand new ones from FCP Euro with a lifetime warranty that will probably last forever......or a few hundred more you can get the RB TWO's and be in the 475-525-ish HP range depending on what fuel you want to run (93 or and ethanol blend like E40)...maybe more depending on how hard your tuner wants to push them.

I figured that if I'm going to go to the trouble of swapping turbos....why not upgrade and get some more power. With the RB TWO's you can use stock inlets and outlets if you want....so that will same you some money. With the TWO Plus's...you have to use aftermarket outlets....but they should get you a little more power.

Call Rob...he can point you in the right direction. It's nice to be able to call up the owner of the company and talk to them.....not sure you would even call at Pure if you had questions.
Yeah I was very close to just ordering some oem turbos but they really do tap out up top and I am pushing them too hard for them to last as long as they should!

I think those turbos with some ethanol will be the perfect balance of power and reliability! I was also planning on doing relocated inlets regardless just to make things look prettier, I have the 335d charge pipe and coolant tank sitting at home waiting to be used!

And yes I'll be in contact with him soon!
      05-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #9
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Both awesome turbos but I think when my time for upgraded turbos comes, I will go RB. Excellent price, very good reliability and a bit cheaper than Pure.

I think you'd be super pleased with either one though.
Yeah hard to go wrong with those options! Was already leaning towards rb and this post has really backed that up so I'm glad I posted it!
      05-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwilcox29 View Post
As I close in on 112k miles on my n54 it appears to be time for new turbos, the waste gate rattle is unbearable and while still hitting 21 psi they seem a bit more tired than a few thousand miles ago.

I've done years of research trying to decide the best set up for my goals and am finally closing in on a decision.

I have ruled out going single turbo, I would love the benefits of having a single but i would go top mount for sure if I were to go that route. That being said there seems to be no "perfect" top mount kit, I'd be willing to pay the price of a doc race kit but even that one isn't perfect! I know they have made a few revisions to the kit but I'm not sure that makes it worth the price.

As far as my goals for my car I'd like to make no more than 600whp. I live in a somewhat populated area and most of the driving will not allow for use of much more.

My biggest concern is reliability and longevity out of new twins, I've basically narrowed it down to pure or rb, both brands that have been around for a while and have good track records for costumer service.

The turbos from pure I'm interested in are the 600s and from rb the TD03 stage 2 plus, both turbos I would guess are decently similar with close to the same power rating

So if you've made it this far my question is what turbos would better? Would there be that big of a difference? Are there any other options I'm totally overlooking? Does anyone have first hand experience with either?

Thank you for the help!
For your pocket book, the RB 2+ are a better choice. If you pay Rob with a bank transfer or cashiers check, he will give you a discount.

600hp -

You will need a stage 2 walboro 450 at a minimum. Probably dual pumps or maybe a stage 3.

You'll also need 2" inlets & outlets.

You'll need to upgrade your coils

Upgrade your HPFP

Last, you will need a custom tune & MHD.

I assume you have a 7" FMIC & 3" SS downpipes....

Longevity? 600hp? 😌 IDK about that. If you want longevity, I'd probably keep it under 500hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #11
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I think Rob will throw an extra little discount on too if you pick up his inlets with the purchase, unless you're going relocated.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
For your pocket book, the RB 2+ are a better choice. If you pay Rob with a bank transfer or cashiers check, he will give you a discount.

600hp -

You will need a stage 2 walboro 450 at a minimum. Probably dual pumps or maybe a stage 3.

Upgrade your HPFP

Longevity? 600hp? 😌 IDK about that. If you want longevity, I'd probably keep it under 500hp.
I'm no expert.....but from everything I've read, unless you set the turbos to kill....you need PI to hit 600hp. On pump gas....500hp is about the limit, you just don't have enough octane. With an E50 mix, you can get upper 500's if the stock HPFP can keep up.

There really isn't an "upgrade" for the HPFP. You can install one of the shotgun or helix overdrive units on the oem HPFP....or go PI. Those are about the only options.

People love to throw big HP numbers out there.......it's kind of nice that Rob lists conservative numbers on his turbos (numbers you can actually hit). Not like the ebay turbos that people are getting for $800 thinking they will make 700hp because that's what the ad for the turbos says.

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #13
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

600hp -

Upgrade your HPFP

That's good to know! Will definitely do that!

I currently have a 7 inch intercooler, downpipes, charge pipe & bov, Walbro 450 pump in a bucket, bimmer life coils and nkg's, hpfp was done about 20k miles go! Also running a JB4 with mhd for tuning!
I plan on getting inlets and outlets at the time of purchasing turbos as well as getting a new intake manifold with port injection down the road!

I would probably be keeping it under 600 probably around 550! And of course a custom tune to go along with them!
      05-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #14
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

600hp -

Upgrade your HPFP

I'm no expert.....but from everything I've read, unless you set the turbos to kill....you need PI to hit 600hp. On pump gas....500hp is about the limit, you just don't have enough octane. With an E50 mix, you can get upper 500's if the stock HPFP can keep up.

There really isn't an "upgrade" for the HPFP. You can install one of the shotgun or helix overdrive units on the oem HPFP....or go PI. Those are about the only options.

People love to throw big HP numbers out there.......it's kind of nice that Rob lists conservative numbers on his turbos (numbers you can actually hit). Not like the ebay turbos that people are getting for $800 thinking they will make 700hp because that's what the ad for the turbos says.

Yeah exactly! And yes I plan on running plenty of fueling as I listed above but still keeping it around the mid 500s and for sake of not maxing them out!

I agree with those horse power ranges, much more accurate in really world conditions!
      05-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #15
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

A 400whp 335i is fun....I bet an honest 500+whp one is crazy fun 😁
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #16
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A 400whp 335i is fun....I bet an honest 500+whp one is crazy fun 😁
Exactly what I'm thinking! Nothing too crazy
      05-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #17
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandomNickname View Post
I'd stay far away from RB judging by his style of interaction on other forums. There is also no need to spend that much on turbo's. They aren't rocketscience and cheaper (chinese) options are available everywhere. The ol' "chinese turbos are crap failurerate bla bla bla" nonsense you will hear after this post is all <2018 talk from people who advise certain stuff without actual experience with them.
Reliability stand or falls with proper installation, maintenance and tuning of your car.
Here we go again......

Can you point to the spot on the doll where Rob Beck touched you??......

Last edited by iqraceworks; 05-19-2021 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
Aceway454.50
      05-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #18
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have RBs GF on my car for over a year now and they have been performing flawlessly. While it's obvious that I may not have had them on for a really long time, the quality among robs turbos are night and day compared to the Chinese shit that has saturated the market.

You can't go wrong with Pure turbos either. I was debating between those two choices when I was in the market for new turbos but ultimately decided to go with the full td04 experience when Rob rolled out the game finishers.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #19
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'd stay far away from RB judging by his style of interaction on other forums. There is also no need to spend that much on turbo's. They aren't rocketscience and cheaper (chinese) options are available everywhere. The ol' "chinese turbos are crap failurerate bla bla bla" nonsense you will hear after this post is all <2018 talk from people who advise certain stuff without actual experience with them.
Reliability stand or falls with proper installation, maintenance and tuning of your car.
Yeah...it's so 2018 that if you look on the FB groups, even the newest versions of the VIV China turbos are having issues with smoking, oil burning, and other problems after just a few thousand miles. Yeah....so 2018.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #20
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Rob doesn't seem to be a bad vendor from what I've seen maybe I've missed some of his interactions, and that doesn't change the quality of his turbos

I've still seen numerous somewhat recent failures on Facebook of various eBay turbos, enough so that I'll probably stay away from them. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the piece of mind and communication of a long time supplier!
Dave92N54528.00
      05-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #21
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
I have RBs GF on my car for over a year now and they have been performing flawlessly. While it's obvious that I may not have had them on for a really long time, the quality among robs turbos are night and day compared to the Chinese shit that has saturated the market.

You can't go wrong with Pure turbos either. I was debating between those two choices when I was in the market for new turbos but ultimately decided to go with the full td04 experience when Rob rolled out the game finishers.
Good to hear! How much power do you think/know you're making with the Gf turbos? I mentioned I probably will be keeping power around 550 or so and think that the TD03 2 plus turbos would be ideal.

Just wondering if there's any benefits to those bigger turbos besides just the power!
      05-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I would pick pure 600, its one of our most popular and reliable turbo options

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0