E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

04-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #4709
chrisdack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post
Do you know what version you had before? Unless you were updated after manufacture, you should not have had a lag version of the software. Assuming you had a good version, you must have been suffering reduced performance for some other reason. Perhaps the wastegate pushrod was the reason?

As to the vibration, mention it to the service tech. Since that is a bit of a subjective thing, it is hard to compare.

As an aside, it was my understanding (based on this or related thread) that the wastegate conversion option is no longer available to the service tech in the newer versions of the ISTAP software(it became standard, obsolete, or auto-operating?) . Perhaps this information was wrong?
The Puma response was 13328837-11

Wastegate valve conversion was def in the response measures, but you're right was standard for that version of software for pre-Nov 2007 cars. The puma said check integration level for puma (wastegate pushrods and adjustment bolts needed to be 8mm diameter, not 6mm) I specifically remember reading over the shoulder the statement that 6mm meant that wastegate fix hadn't been made yet, so wastegate pushrod fix was needed.
They removed turbos, upgraded and tested wastegates using diagnostic, refitted and re-calibrated with vacuum diagnostic. (I have that in writing)

Car had been previously reprogrammed when I had new locks fitted once, but the performance didn't degrade at that time.

Vibration is on light throttle around 3k to 4k rpm and is a very obvious growl, with a light pressure dump fizz on lift of the throttle. I will ask tech what's up with the growl.

Last edited by chrisdack; 04-20-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #4710
250XFOS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ED10-18-06/335i Monaco\Brown

335i Soft Shifting \ Delay Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250XFOS View Post
There are versions of 2.37 , I've got E89x-10-03-502, the link shown on a previous post takes you to a graphic that lists all versions, the last one shown for my 335 ends in 501 so I should have got the "latest", which as per your question, WILL fix the lag, but the tranny shifts are bullshit, I guess BMW is getting complaints from conservative drivers that feel the shifts too rough, now this software makes the car shift too smooth taking away the sport spirit of the 335, please BMW leave that to Mercedes Benz. Responding to other post question, I do have less gas mileage, how I measure, Easy, same route to work 5 days a week, mpg before and after, about 1.5 LESS than with previous software.

Comments to another post, I meant jumpy on a weird way, I had a coupe before that was not smooth not jumpy just sport shifts. I meant unusual jump, but yes now I prefer that to the smooooth shifts. See if I can get away with a retrofit, I'll post later, and/or what fix they come with.

Do someone knows if the tranny can be programmed separately. For my wifes x3 a foreman told me they have a program so the changes are not aggresive, I never went for it but they did offered.

Good Luck
Ok, took car to the dealer, they brought a mechanic for a test drive. The mechanic was not a very friendly guy, did not even say hello or anything, just asked for the keys and jumped into the driver seat. We went for a couple of miles and the only words he said was "feels normal to me". I explain that it was not like that before and that is not normal to ME. So we went back to the office and the guy says that yes he feels a slight hesitation when shifting from one gear to another but that is what all the cars are doing with the latest software update and basically saying you have to eat it. WHAT THE HE... . he asked the SA for the previous paperwork they had to go to the shop to get it and he said well we can reprogrammed but I doubt it will get any better. I asked if the old software can be changed, they said no because then it will go back to a software version which will give long cranks and a fuel pump replacement. so with them there was not way to made them put the old software back. Car stayed there for reprogramming but now I will try BMWNA.

GUYS, DO NOT GET ANY SOFTWARE UPDATES NOW, THAT IS IF YOU WANT A GRANDMA SHIFTING 335. LAG IS GONE, POWER IS NOT AND ISSUE, SHIFTING IS AN ISSUE. SOFTWARE VERSION IS 2.3.71

Will post the results later . good luck
      04-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #4711
TunasBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: e92xi

I had HPFP failure two weeks ago and got it replaced. Afterwards, I noticed whenever I step on the gas to accelerate, there is defintely a lag before the car starts going, RPM jumps to 3500-4000 before it kicks in.

Lucky for me, my car has since overheated twice while doing 70 on the freeway and going into limp mode and is going into service again this week so they can figure out whats going on. Not sure what software update I have but will find out.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #4712
Jeff Flowerday
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Got my software updated yesterday, to fix a starting problem. If I let the car sit for a few days it could take 3-4 seconds of turning over to start. Apparently there's a software update for that?

Anyway, I now have lag in the low RPM range. One thing I've noticed they've definately tried to adjust to the Auto Transmission shift points to compensate, it down shifts much sooner now, but still it's not enough. I want my low end torque back!!!!

I guess I'm pooched for another year until the lease runs out. Maybe if they are nice they'll let me out early and put me in a M3. That should solve the lag issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #4713
mpt3456
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I just purchased a 2007 335i cert w/auto and this forum is making me paranoid. I do not feel any surge after 3000RPM, just steady power throughout as advertised. My concern is that if I bring the car in they will reprogram and I'll be SOL. Is the latest version lag free? Are they up to 3.0 now? Should I pre-order a JB3 if I plan on going in for BMW service?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #4714
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
can't possibly read all the thread but my tech has found a way to update my car to address the wastegate related lag. He told me not to tell a bunch of folks.....because its only possilbe on certain cars produced at certian build times. Aparantly they don't want folks calling to ask to have this done. I am really greateful that I have a tech that will listen, research, and act in my favor. I hope that ya'll can be as lucky as me! BTW, my car has adapted tremendously around the lag but it took time and a little tune tweek to get it done but car runs strong now. Im bringing it in this week to have the wastegate update done. Good luck to those of you that were fooled into bringing their car in to make it slower.....
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #4715
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i M-Sport

WHY!

So i as well just purchased a '07 335i. Why the hell is there so many variations of this car's software. I have noticed the lag as well, it definitely is not getting better but as i have only been in my car for about a month. i can't say i have driven one with the previous software. On the contrary its obvious that this car is not reaching full torque by 1800 rpm or at the least even 2000 rpm. and Full boost seems like its not reached until 3500 rpm or so. this is not how it was advertised and i researched alot of test drives of it and the reviews seemed great and made the car seem beastly. For lack of a Better Word, "What the Fuck BMW!?" I am very dissappointed as well, and i will be letting trying to find out what software i am currently running. Its enough that they a gave us a shitty differential but now they are downtuning the car to be slower WTF! I WANT MORE POWER ......AND BOOST!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #4716
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07'335iAlpine View Post
So i as well just purchased a '07 335i. Why the hell is there so many variations of this car's software. I have noticed the lag as well, it definitely is not getting better but as i have only been in my car for about a month. i can't say i have driven one with the previous software. On the contrary its obvious that this car is not reaching full torque by 1800 rpm or at the least even 2000 rpm. and Full boost seems like its not reached until 3500 rpm or so. this is not how it was advertised and i researched alot of test drives of it and the reviews seemed great and made the car seem beastly. For lack of a Better Word, "What the Fuck BMW!?" I am very dissappointed as well, and i will be letting trying to find out what software i am currently running. Its enough that they a gave us a shitty differential but now they are downtuning the car to be slower WTF! I WANT MORE POWER ......AND BOOST!
you need a tune bro!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #4717
335assetmgmt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 AL/Terra/6spd/spt/prem/cld

Car into limp mode for 4th time in 2 years. Figured I was looking at my 4th HPFP replacement, which is unacceptable regardless of whether or not the part and labor is covered.

Turns out that it was not the HPFP this time around. Replaced the Vanos Solenoid and Bearing Wedge, did a reprogram and the car is back to the beast I only had a distant memory of from the past. Exhaust note is completely different ( burbly and deeper ), the turbo/gates seem to pop like an STI, and the torque from right out of the gate is there the whole way. This is the car that I bought, not the limp machine it turned into the past two years with program after reprogram and HPFP after HPFP.

Trade off is that with this first tank of gas I have literally gone from 25 mpg combined to just under 20 mpg. Honestly I'll take those numbers just to have the car back to the way it was when I purchased.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #4718
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?
i don't think so, should i give them a shout?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #4719
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

Just had my software updated for the idrive system and they did the entire car to the latest software. previously there was no lag whatsoever. Now it doesn't seem to really be full bore until 3000 rpm or so. Will this adapt out with time?

Also, can you still request wastegate retrofit lagfix updates? I know you could for a while..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #4720
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
SO the new software sucks!!!!! Total lag in 1st till about 3000 rpms. My ride feels so slow. I was hoping all this talk was just "talk" and that maybe BMW fixed any issues. I was having severe wastegate rattle so BMW did the update. WISH I DIDNT. So I figured if I would drive the car like I stole it, maybe things would adapt. WRONG!!!!!!! What can I do????? I want my beast back. My old MKV GTI feels faster!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #4721
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Still working on my SA for the wastegate retrofit. Supposedly that brings back the low end grunt. makes sense since you can tell it is definitely boost related!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #4722
lolachampcar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535 with Software Only

Stupid Question

Has anyone read "old" software and "new" software then thrown both into WinOLS and looked at what has been changed? This is not a terribly difficult exercise. Does anyone have a BT log of software numbers for old and new lag software?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #4723
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update: My service advisor ok'd the wastegate retrofit option as my cars build date falls within the dates that are acceptable. My appointment is Wednesday morning. I'll keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #4724
Bme30
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
What are those dates???
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #4725
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Metallic Black

SO my car is getting a software update to fix an "engine malfunction-reduced power" fault. I'm guessing I'll be back in a week for the hpfp

What should I expect from this new software?? I have a 6mt

thanks

2007 E92 Metallic Black, Black interior, brushed aluminum, 6MT, Nav, 6FL, 20% ceramic tints, OEM Front Lip, Dinan Stage 2 Rev2, 19''s M6 Reps
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #4726
Bme30
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
the car still runs ok, but the biggest difference I noticed is that when you floor it in 1st it is a dog until about 3000 rpm. The car use to just rip about 1200 rpm or so. I just feel like that car goes when it wants too. Its not what I paid for. Other than that when you are on it the car will stay above that during WOT so you shouldnt notice much of a difference there.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #4727
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bme30 View Post
the car still runs ok, but the biggest difference I noticed is that when you floor it in 1st it is a dog until about 3000 rpm. The car use to just rip about 1200 rpm or so. I just feel like that car goes when it wants too. Its not what I paid for. Other than that when you are on it the car will stay above that during WOT so you shouldnt notice much of a difference there.
I remember when the car was new, it was silky smooth running through the gears. I do get that "when it wants to" feeling that you describe. But I would say on mine, dog until about 2300 in 1st, then "almost" as it used to be. Hopefully they don't reduce the HP to 150 on software release 40.x
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #4728
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update: Wastegate retrofit definitely helped considerably. I don't know if as torquey as pre 29.x I used to have, but it definitely spools earlier than it did without the retrofit software update applied.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #4729
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep

One other thing of note... you can tell the wastegate is closed as the exhaust tone is quieter due to the fact that the turbo isnt being bypassed any longer.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #4730
335iMSport10
You Got Served!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i E90 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
you need a tune bro!
+1000!