E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Strange speaker noise

11-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
RyanE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Strange speaker noise

I was driving to a friend's house tonight and, after being on the road for 20-25 minutes, heard some noise that I think was coming from my left speaker. My wife said she could hear it from the right side as well. It was a pretty persistent buzz that was unaffected by turning the volume down or the radio off. For those that own a Blackberry and have heard interference on the phone or over computer speakers, it was the same kind of sound but was persistent and my blackberry was not in the car. My wife and both turned off our cell phones and no change. Then, we arrived at our destination, hit the start/stop button, and still there. Not only that, but after I took the key fob out and shut everything down, closed and opened the doors for good measure, and it was still there!!

I came back out to the car a few hours later and at first everything was fine. After a while I heard some noise from the right speaker. This time the noise came with bass (although not up too loud) and sounded like it could be a rattle or blown speaker, but I'm not sure.

I'll take it into the dealer this week, but any thoughts?
      11-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Is it always at a particular point on a song? Was it a CD that you ripped from an MP3? When you clip at a particular frequency (if you ripped/recorded a song at too loud a volume), you may get a sound like this -- it is digital clipping. There are some MP3s that are uploaded this way. Just a guess. Of course, it's just as likely or maybe more likely there's a problem with your speaker.
      11-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
If unaffected by the volume & consistent w/ both speakers, in sounds more likely to be an amp or wiring vs. a blown speaker. Of course if you are definitely hearing a rattle, it could be a combination of both. Do you play your stereo loud? If so, don't admit it to the dealership.. I would play dumb & only have easy listening CD's in the car...

Even if you blew the speakers, I think their policy is to replace once, but if you keep coming back & they don't believe it to be a product defect, they will give you a hard time under warranty...