E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Exhaust Rattle

06-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e90 2007 Sedan

Exhaust Rattle

Need a bit of help on an issue. After new DP's my exhaust has moved a little and now has a rattle. After searching I found that its the cats on the exhaust hitting against the heat shield. Pushed/bent the heat shield out of the way as much as possible but its not far enough. Any other options? Some kind of high temperate rubber to slide in there so it doesnt rattle?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
ZiggyJJ
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MSport

Is it just rattle on idle?

I think ive got the same problem and notice it when reversing up an incline (also just had dps fitted).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #3
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyJJ View Post
Is it just rattle on idle?

I think ive got the same problem and notice it when reversing up an incline (also just had dps fitted).
Exact same problem, reverse out of my driveway is an incline and rattle is really prominent, its only at a certain RPM level, around 1500RPM
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 03:48 AM   #4
ZiggyJJ
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MSport

Yeah Ive got that plus a little bit of wastegate rattle which never had with oem dps.

I think my water pump is about to shit itself (radiator fan going nuts on cold temps yesterday) so will have in the shop this week and will ask them to look at rattles and see if a fix for it
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyJJ View Post
Yeah Ive got that plus a little bit of wastegate rattle which never had with oem dps.

I think my water pump is about to shit itself (radiator fan going nuts on cold temps yesterday) so will have in the shop this week and will ask them to look at rattles and see if a fix for it
Yea the wastegate rattle is definitely more noticable, but that was expected. Let me know if you find a fix, only thing I can think of is to wedge something between the cats and the heat shield, but it gets really hot so would need to be heatproof! Still brainstorming ATM
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Loosen the downpipe bolts to the exhaust and the loosen the middle exhaust hanger, the holes are quite large and give you a little bit of adjustment.

Only exception is that sometimes downpipe manufacturers supply 10mm bolts instead of the stock 8mm sized bolts. This is a problem because the hole is 10mm, resulting in difficult installation and no chance in re positioning the exhaust.
      06-26-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Loosen the downpipe bolts to the exhaust and the loosen the middle exhaust hanger, the holes are quite large and give you a little bit of adjustment.

Only exception is that sometimes downpipe manufacturers supply 10mm bolts instead of the stock 8mm sized bolts. This is a problem because the hole is 10mm, resulting in difficult installation and no chance in re positioning the exhaust.
Thanks for reply, have already done this and have moved it as much as possible, its only a couple of mm off! Just need that little bit more movement so it doesnt rattle, or something wedged in between.
Appreciate 0