E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

02-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #199
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (e90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
There was couple of people with this issue with MARCO_L6_PARKMENU but I believe that it is only due to the fact that your camera is not getting the power from the emulator. Check your wiring. In my case I had the same, sound from the PDC but no picture and I could not find the reason. Then after checking each connection I found out one of my wires not connected correctly. Coding should be fine, I have coded my car exactly as OP says to do so. One silly wire caused a big headache for me . Also, keep in mind those twisted wires, they do have to be well twisted as OP says, not sure why but it makes a difference in signal quality.
The picture of the vehicle on the right shows that PDC works just fine, as soon as you power up your camera your main screen should start showing the video feed. Once again, make sure your coding is as per OP.
At this point you need to start eliminating issues:

1. Make sure you have coded only the items in the OP:

MACRO_PDC
aktiv
MACRO_REARVIEW
aktiv
RVC_CIC
wert_23
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
PDC_DIRECTION
vertikal

When I was struggling with the install I also would see the same screen as yours but only when I messed with other settings than provided in the OP!

When coded correctly (but miswired) nothing will happen on CIC screen when the car is put into reverse (i.e. the normal PDC screen will not appear but one will hear the PDC beeps).

2. Triple check your harness wiring splices. It is very very easy to make a mistake
3. Check continuity of the wires to see if power is getting to camera.
4. If all else fails you may have a bad camera. While unlikely, it is always possible.

There are no tricks to this installation but one misstep will result in failure.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #200
calforhelp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll double check my wiring. Does anyone have a better picture of where each wire taps into on the back of the radio? I know the colors should match up but I just want to be sure. I think the black wire I used was thin while the others were all thick.

I thought that if the actual camera wasn't getting power it should just show a black screen where the large PDC diagram is.

I do have quite a few coding mods done to my CIC. I'll have to default it and change just the RVC codes and see if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #201
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Looks good, I'm going to link this post to the first page.

I didn't know about the harness when I did my install but I can't stress how much I recommend getting it. I used it on the last install I did for someone and it makes the whole job easier. Just remember to twist the canbus wires. If/when I do another install for someone I'll take some photos of what wires to splice on the harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8s 330xi View Post
My progress with this project was painful and fraught with issues and I’m finding it’s mainly because the supplemental information for it is scattered throughout this thread. Because of that, I’m going to do a repost with the full instructions with my notes and the notes of others. If something should be adapted, please let me know and I’ll edit it. I don’t want to do a new thread because I’d like to make sure credit is given to those who did the actual work.

Rotary, let me know if you'd prefer I remove or edit this or if you'd rather edit your original.
      02-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #202
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by calforhelp View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll double check my wiring. Does anyone have a better picture of where each wire taps into on the back of the radio? I know the colors should match up but I just want to be sure. I think the black wire I used was thin while the others were all thick.

I thought that if the actual camera wasn't getting power it should just show a black screen where the large PDC diagram is.

I do have quite a few coding mods done to my CIC. I'll have to default it and change just the RVC codes and see if that makes a difference.
Take a look at the diagram grzes posted. If you look at the big summary post I just added on the last page, you'll see that referenced. I also posted a pic of my connections before that were correct, even though I wasn't certain yet. They're patched into the additional harness though.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #203
calforhelp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Got it. The coding was right on like everyone said. The problem was that my emulator was not wired properly. The color of the wires on my emulator did not match up with the colors of the wires on the CIC.

The combo I found that worked is:
Emulator wire > CIC Wire
Red > Red
Black > Fat Brown
Brown > Orange wire of the orange/green twisted pair
Green > Green wire of the orange/green twisted pair (NOT the fat green, that is an optical cable)
White > Red wire coming out of camera's RCA

On the camera end of the wire I split the paired black and red, cut off the red, and grounded the black to one of the bolts holding the antenna onto the trunk lid. Works brilliantly.

Thanks a ton for the help!!

Now has anyone tried enabling the camera to turn on at any speed?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #204
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Got it. The coding was right on like everyone said. The problem was that my emulator was not wired properly. The color of the wires on my emulator did not match up with the colors of the wires on the CIC.

The combo I found that worked is:
Emulator wire > CIC Wire
Red > Red
Black > Fat Brown
Brown > Orange wire of the orange/green twisted pair
Green > Green wire of the orange/green twisted pair (NOT the fat green, that is an optical cable)
White > Red wire coming out of camera's RCA

On the camera end of the wire I split the paired black and red, cut off the red, and grounded the black to one of the bolts holding the antenna onto the trunk lid. Works brilliantly.

Thanks a ton for the help!!

Definitely interested in this if there is a no-compromise solution.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #205
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I looked into that. From what I can see, it's not possible.

Sorry.

Quote:
      02-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #206
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
I looked into that. From what I can see, it's not possible.

Sorry.

Yeah, I'd imagine that would be tough. Setting up a momentary switch inside the emulator would be tough enough, but somehow you'd also have to tell the software that you're going in reverse when you aren't without the car freaking out on you.
It would be really cool to be able to set up the corner cams on the front bumper though. Wonder if you could use a different style emulator like an A/V one.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #207
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wonder if you could use a different style emulator like an A/V one.
You should be able to because most of the aftermarket A/V kits just superimpose an image over the nav display.
      02-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #208
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep

Pic of license plate light mounted cam

So here's what I went with after my handle-cam failed. I recognize that the camera is probably going to block the light on that side, but I figure the other light probably does a good enough job and I'd like the camera to be as near the center as possible. The housing on the light is missing any kind of rubberized buffer or anything that would make it stick on the car better and not rattle around. I ended up using electrical tape to create a pseudo gasket for that. This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Frankly, although I didn't like how small the hand space was with the handle-cam, I would rather have used it again. Maybe I'll buy another one and resell this light-cam (Sometime when I don't mind redoing allllllll the damned wiring again).
Attached Images

Last edited by n8s 330xi; 02-20-2015 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Adding quality
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #209
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
So here's what I went with after my handle-cam failed. I recognize that the camera is probably going to block the light on that side, but I figure the other light probably does a good enough job and I'd like the camera to be as near the center as possible. The housing on the light is missing any kind of rubberized buffer or anything that would make it stick on the car better and not rattle around. I ended up using electrical tape to create a pseudo gasket for that. This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Frankly, although I didn't like how small the hand space was with the handle-cam, I would rather have used it again. Maybe I'll buy another one and resell this light-cam (Sometime when I don't mind redoing allllllll the damned wiring again).
ha ha ha, yes, the handle with the camera looks better and you keep both lights still glad you posted this so other can have some comparison and choose wisely
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #210
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Rotary Rasp or n8s 330xi, who can get some good pictures of that harness?? let me know and I will PM you my e-mail, if you can then send it to me I will create second wiring diagram that shows the use of the harness. I will also fix up my original wiring diagram to be more clear about the PIN numbers for the camera as I know now that pin 21 and 24 is for sure for North American system and pin 18 and 28 most like to European market. After that I can e-mail you the actual PDF copies and you guys can post it in your write ups.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #211
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Rotary Rasp or n8s 330xi, who can get some good pictures of that harness?? let me know and I will PM you my e-mail, if you can then send it to me I will create second wiring diagram that shows the use of the harness. I will also fix up my original wiring diagram to be more clear about the PIN numbers for the camera as I know now that pin 21 and 24 is for sure for North American system and pin 18 and 28 most like to European market. After that I can e-mail you the actual PDF copies and you guys can post it in your write ups.
I've attached 3 pics, although they were when I first put it together with the harness. Since my camera wasn't working, I'm not sure if that amount of twistiness was enough. The photo on my previous post was how much I had twisted the wires by the end, but it may have been way more than necessary.
The white connector was part of what came in the harness and was what I was referring to before that made it so you just had to slide them in.

EDIT: Those loose cables go to something my CIC didn't use at all. I worried about whether I'd need them in the long run or not, so I just left them attached, although I pulled out the plug on the other side and got rid of it. My stereo is only the intermediate rather than the the premium logic system, so maybe it has something to do with that. Other people's harnesses may vary, due to whatever type of system they have.
Attached Images

Last edited by n8s 330xi; 02-20-2015 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Cuz
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #212
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (e90)

Ebay 40 pin Quadlock Extension Cable

This is the wiring harness I purchased to do my installation. The ebay posting listed below has lots of pictures (the first two are the only ones that are relevant). If I remember correctly the harness had pin numbers listed on the rows (but very very small)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120977196535...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It fit perfectly although the wire colors are not guaranteed to match those from the Chinese emulator or those one the original BMW harness. This is why it is critical to carefully pay attention to each pin and its number. This process is not hard but given the small size of the pins mistakes are possible.

Grezes' wiring schematic is spot on and definitely use 21/24 for the camera. Just remember that this wiring harness is a mirror image of the original BMW harness so go slowly and follow the wires!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #213
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

CIC Emulator compatibility

Any updates if this will work if you already have a CIC emulator? Im OK if its just a small delay in the switchover.

Want to pull the trigger on this, but wanted to see if it will work or not first.
      02-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #214
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

From what understand, it won't work. Or if it does work, it's flaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
Any updates if this will work if you already have a CIC emulator? Im OK if its just a small delay in the switchover.

Want to pull the trigger on this, but wanted to see if it will work or not first.
      02-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #215
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep

Quote:
From what understand, it won't work. Or if it does work, it's flaky.
Added a note to the summary post to that effect.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #216
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

so since the extra harness that can be purchased separatelly if you don't want to splice the original wires and it is easy to follow as all is just the image of the original harness, there is no need to add that to the wiring diagram. I did modified the diagram a little (showing twisted cables and back of the emulator just in case your wire colours are different than mine). Rotary Rasp or/and n8s 330xi. PM me your e-mail and I will send you the pdf so you can attach this to your original posts. It will eliminate looking for it . Hope this will help you guys in your feature installations.

UPDATE:
original attachment removed and replaced with the latest revision - March/2015
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Camera wiring diagram Model_Rev1C.pdf (103.8 KB, 528 views)

Last edited by grzes; 03-03-2015 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #217
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
so since the extra harness that can be purchased separatelly if you don't want to splice the original wires and it is easy to follow as all is just the image of the original harness, there is no need to add that to the wiring diagram. I did modified the diagram a little (showing twisted cables and back of the emulator just in case your wire colours are different than mine). Rotary Rasp or/and n8s 330xi. PM me your e-mail and I will send you the pdf so you can attach this to your original posts. It will eliminate looking for it . Hope this will help you guys in your feature installations.
Wow, great PDF. I'll attach it to the first post.
      02-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #218
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow, great PDF. I'll attach it to the first post.
thanks gotta pitch in to this great DIY. Hopefully others will have it easier to install it
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #219
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Man, you do some good work!
One question though - does it matter which pin the twisted wires connect to? It's not entirely evident on the drawing with the twists, so I wanted to be sure before linking in my supplementary post as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:08 AM   #220
bobbychoo
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport

Hi everyone!

This is an excellent write-up! But I'm curious... how to enable the dynamic parking lines while reversing?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0