E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > xHP Flashtool - Flash your automatic trans! Official thread

05-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #2729
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi Coupe (AT)

Can I damage the transmission on Stage 2 if I fail to shift in manual mode or will it eventually change gears by itself?

I have a habit of forgetting to shift in manual mode thus I tend not to use it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #2730
STLVL335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

Today I went to flash my 2011 e90 n55 with XHP and the app wouldn't connect to my car... MHD works perfectly and I'm using the Twisted Tuning cable. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #2731
JdBn
Rep
Drives: e91 335d

I have a question regarding making a backup of the TCU. I have an EU 335d from 2011 and there is an option to use the 'standard backup' feature. Will this be the latest software available for this transmission? I am quite sure that the current software is the original and I would skip the process of making a backup if there is a more recent version already available.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #2732
STLVL335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I ordered the Bimmergeeks cable to see if that will work...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #2733
z3Ro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335XI M-Sport

has this been ported over to iOS yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #2734
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw View Post
Can I damage the transmission on Stage 2 if I fail to shift in manual mode or will it eventually change gears by itself?

Stage 1 and 2 will auto upshift. Its only stage 3 that doesn't and yes it is possible to damage transmission if you don't know what your doing on stage 3, which I am on.

It won't upshift (I want to shift myself, I don't like auto upshift) I've lowered my rev limit to 6500rpm as well using customisation module.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #2735
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 M335i View Post
Moving the slider to the ride takes away torque between shifts (not even noticable) moving it to the left requests more torque (makes the shifts a little weird but the car put out more torque between shift thus no lag at all) can be harder on the clutches if used above +25 for extended periods.
I have mine adjusted to +18 on the right side. Like he said, some people would say its uncomfortable because it snaps on the shift, but I love it when I can feel the shift. I hate the seamless shift that seem like the clutch is slipping.
Seconded.

Don't like the slush box shifts, I've got mine set at +15 Torque reduction, might ramp it up to 20 still see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #2736
RBT-Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: 335i F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
Is it possible to change rear end gear ratio in xhp?
No, but the 6HP doesn't really bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw View Post

It will run into the rev-limiter...just like a manual would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdBn View Post
I have a question regarding making a backup of the TCU. I have an EU 335d from 2011 and there is an option to use the 'standard backup' feature. Will this be the latest software available for this transmission? I am quite sure that the current software is the original and I would skip the process of making a backup if there is a more recent version already available.
It's always the most recent version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLVL335 View Post
I ordered the Bimmergeeks cable to see if that will work...
The Twisted and Bimmergeeks are the same cables. Likely you just had a permission problem on Android. Restart of device fixes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3Ro View Post
has this been ported over to iOS yet?
No, due around Autumn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Stage 1 and 2 will auto upshift. Its only stage 3 that doesn't and yes it is possible to damage transmission
Thats untrue. It will still refuse to downshift, if RPM's are too high in target gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #2737
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
No, but the 6HP doesn't really bother.

It will run into the rev-limiter...just like a manual would.

It's always the most recent version.

The Twisted and Bimmergeeks are the same cables. Likely you just had a permission problem on Android. Restart of device fixes it.

No, due around Autumn.

Thats untrue. It will still refuse to downshift, if RPM's are too high in target gear.
I thought only stage 3 ran into limiter as only stage 3 map says True manual mode in changelog?

If that's the case the changelogin the app needs to be updated, since neither stage 1 or 2 state True Manual mode (no auto upshift)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #2738
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

I was refering to "damage the transmission"
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #2739
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I was refering to "damage the transmission"
Setting high rpm limit, banging against the limiter at such revs, moving torque reduction slider to the left like 25+ wearing out clutches faster

Isn't that damage to the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #2740
STLVL335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

New cable fixed my issue... tried restarting the device but no luck
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:40 AM   #2741
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Setting high rpm limit, banging against the limiter at such revs, moving torque reduction slider to the left like 25+ wearing out clutches faster

Isn't that damage to the transmission?
No, because the trans does not care about RPM, nor does it care if you bang your engine into the RPM limiter and moving the torque reduction slider has nothing to do with our Stage 3 OTS Map.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #2742
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No, because the trans does not care about RPM, nor does it care if you bang your engine into the RPM limiter and moving the torque reduction slider has nothing to do with our Stage 3 OTS Map.
Ok, then I stand corrected.

does this mean the customization settings apply to stage 1&2 as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 05:15 AM   #2743
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Ok, then I stand corrected.

does this mean the customization settings apply to stage 1&2 as well?
The custom setting work with any map. Even with the stock map. Please read the manual on page 20. It's explained there.

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/fileadm..._manual_en.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #2744
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The custom setting work with any map. Even with the stock map. Please read the manual on page 20. It's explained there.

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/fileadm..._manual_en.pdf
The app says generally supported are Stage 3 maps for N54/55, other vehicles/maps may not work under certain settings like Throttle blips. Does this mean some settings apply to stage 1 & 2 whilst all of them apply to stage 3?

I'm going by what the app says as it looks like not everything in the manual ia mirrored in the app.

I see you updated the manual as mine was v1. 4

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #2745
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep

@RBT-Tuning

I know you mentioned Linear Throttle in MHD would screw things up, but...

Is it possible to add this improved Throttle response mod ...?

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ottle+response

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Had the opportunity to try out I8A0S version. Loving it! Left the (AT) D mode stock, zeroed out Sport and Manual mode, very responsive no dead pedal
Stage 2+ tune Using stock throttle map. No errors so far.
Either for D mode or S/M?

In the XHP app, or would this have to tuned in via MHD etc?

Last edited by Saif2018; 06-06-2019 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:35 AM   #2746
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
@RBT-Tuning

Throttle response and linear throttle are 2 different things. Response means how direct the throttle blade/engine load reacts to input changes on the pedal. That does not change anything for the trans. (well, not anything really important)

Linear changes the relation between stationary pedal value and the load so in effect it changes the Shiftpoints. (as thats based on pedal value) Maybe "screwed" is the wrong word, but the trans will just not shift like the mapper (being it us or BMW) had it in mind it should do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #2747
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Throttle response and linear throttle are 2 different things. Response means how direct the throttle blade/engine load reacts to input changes on the pedal. That does not change anything for the trans. (well, not anything really important)

Linear changes the relation between stationary pedal value and the load so in effect it changes the Shiftpoints. (as thats based on pedal value) Maybe "screwed" is the wrong word, but the trans will just not shift like the mapper (being it us or BMW) had it in mind it should do it.
Is it possible for you to add the option for improved Throttle response?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 03:16 AM   #2748
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Is it possible for you to add the option for improved Throttle response?
We are flashing the transmission, not the engine computer.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #2749
Saif2018
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
We are flashing the transmission, not the engine computer.
Ok, so I assume that would have to be added on tune, like in MHD.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #2750
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
@RBT-Tuning

Yes, throttle response and linear throttle are two different things as mentioned in the throttle sensitivity threads...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...0#post24653240
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
Be mindful that throttle plate response and its actuation speed are a completely different thing to the "Linear Throttle" option that can be ticked in MHD, and of course different to turbo lag too. I only ever use linear throttle on my car under any case, not to be confused with the transient throttle response of an engine which is being discussed here.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1#post24705921
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
Lastly, this throttle response fix is not the same as switching linear throttle on/off, people don't get it! Linear throttle option in MHD has to do with torque request table in the tune bin. I.e. if you press 10% throttle, the DME will target 10% of the available torque at the current rpm. Linear throttle means a 1:1 relationship, so 20% accelerator travel = 20% of the available torque, 40% accelerator = 40% torque... etc. The reason MHD included the linear throttle tick box is because from factory these cars have a non-linear throttle, for example: 10% throttle is 20% torque, 40% throttle is 80% torque... etc. by the time you get to 60% accelerator travel, the engine is already producing 100% of its torque, so it's basically full throttle at only 60% accelerator pedal travel, and the remaining 40% of the pedal travel is just a deadzone that doesn't do anything. In my opinion, ticking that MHD linear throttle option is a must, specially when these engines are tuned, the torque is very hard to control, and the longer pedal travel really helps applying the torque smoothly on corner exit without spinning the wheels.

The throttle fix that has been recently discovered is completely different to the throttle mapping and torque request tables, I thought I should clarify that because it's very easy to mix between a sharp throttle response, and a stupid bloated over-reactive accelerator input where 30% accelerator travel is equal to 60% of the available engine torque.

... but the throttle sensitivity threads also indicate that the throttle sensitivity table changes work best with a linear throttle.

A linear throttle (in conjunction with a more sensitive throttle) would be particular useful on a track/circuit so there is more pedal modulation (usable travel) available on corner entry/exit (percentage throttle).
Imagine if only 10mm of pedal travel was equal to 100% throttle - that would be impossible to modulate. Equally, 50% of usable pedal travel is twice as difficult to modulate compared to full (100% usable) pedal travel when you want to be as precise as possible with percentage throttle.

[COLOR="Red"]So the question is, how can the 6AT be tuned in xHP to work with a linear throttle?[/COLOR]
Maybe the shift points need to be based on the throttle position (not the pedal position).
Appreciate 0