E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Supercharger stuff (MILVs+AA+BPC)

02-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #837
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
🥴 I'm ready. Also deleting the clutch delay valve.
where are you getting this done? im strongly considering doing this in my cars life but have a lot of questions. Will headers still not work on these (I have my stock manifolds just in case in my storage room) or was that something ESS couldn't get to work with their tune?
I was told that the delay valve kinda burns the clutch over time. I think they also told me that you can't really dump the clutch when that piece is still in place. I think someone documented the exact reasons somewhere in the forum...

ESS didn't want to tune for headers... its definitely doable if you hit up Bob and get a custom tune done. Nothing has broken with his tune in my car. No running too lean with his work. (This is the reason why ESS tells you not to use headers, they didn't tune or account for them and in turn you could run lean and potentially damage your engine.)
      02-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #838
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
glad to see this is coming to fruition
Thanks, man! Glad to see you're alive and well.
      02-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #839
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
where are you getting this done? im strongly considering doing this in my cars life but have a lot of questions. Will headers still not work on these (I have my stock manifolds just in case in my storage room) or was that something ESS couldn't get to work with their tune?
I was told that the delay valve kinda burns the clutch over time. I think they also told me that you can't really dump the clutch when that piece is still in place. I think someone documented the exact reasons somewhere in the forum...

ESS didn't want to tune for headers... its definitely doable if you hit up Bob and get a custom tune done. Nothing has broken with his tune in my car. No running too lean with his work. (This is the reason why ESS tells you not to use headers, they didn't tune or account for them and in turn you could run lean and potentially damage your engine.)
I drove down to visit Bob in August and he did my MILVs/3IM and had it on their dyno.. imma have to give him a shout when it's time to do this

are you MT? will your left foot braking work? someone who has done this has had issues with this
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #840
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
you too! The only reason why I sign on now is to check up on your thread. Keep rollin'

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #841
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you too! The only reason why I sign on now is to check up on your thread. Keep rollin'
😭 I'm gonna have a shot later in your honor, m'Lord.
Mike.2042.00
      02-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #842
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I drove down to visit Bob in August and he did my MILVs/3IM and had it on their dyno.. imma have to give him a shout when it's time to do this

are you MT? will your left foot braking work? someone who has done this has had issues with this
Quote:
I actually need Bob to address this upon the retune! Accelerator does not respond if I'm on the brake.
      02-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #843
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Timing gears in... MILVs in progress 😤
      02-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #844
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

New water pump installed VC closed up... all that remains is the engine and trans being reinstalled!

Since we were not forced to use an updated DME- I am sticking with the 3IM. Disappointing, I know. But monetary wise, it wasn't in the cards to do with this job in the first place. If I can sell my Adaptive Xenons soon, then I'll be all about hitting up Bob and having the guys fab up an intake going from the blower to the N54 IM.
Attached Images

02-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #845
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Or have a custom intake made for direct port meth, assuming you don't have E85 available.

It's good you removed the CDV. One of my 1st mods on the 335i. Every manual BMW should have it removed on day 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #846
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

2 steps forward... 1 step back...
Fun fact: found out my engine that was in the car originally was actually a junkyard engine LOL.

The not so funny part: This was a bonafide 328 with WHAT IS VERY LIKELY, THE ORIGINAL TRANSMISSION FROM THAT CAR BOLTED UP TO IT. Engine ran PHENOMENAL. But on release of the clutch... no joy. You'll hear a nasty metal on metal noise since the input shaft size does NOT mate up to the rest of the engine all that well. Currently trying to source the actual transmission for this car... beyond pissed.
      02-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #847
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Fun fact: found out my engine that was in the car originally was actually a junkyard engine LOL.

The not so funny part: This was a bonafide 328 with WHAT IS VERY LIKELY, THE ORIGINAL TRANSMISSION FROM THAT CAR BOLTED UP TO IT. Engine ran PHENOMENAL. But on release of the clutch... no joy. You'll hear a nasty metal on metal noise since the input shaft size does NOT mate up to the rest of the engine all that well. Currently trying to source the actual transmission for this car... beyond pissed.
Sell it. #walkaway

Seriously I know it is now a labor of love but cut your losses.

I tried to make a small displacement NA engine fast once. It is a waste of money and time. NA only works with displacement. You will still be slower than a 335i. The blower is too small even with all the octane e85 will give you and smaller pulleys etc.

Last edited by Torgus; 02-06-2020 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #848
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 130i M/T

Quote:

What? So you mean your car has always been running a 328i engine and transmission in it? (ie., not a genuine 330i?) I am mildly confused....

In any case, sourcing a correct spec 6 speed transmission might be difficult, maybe it's time to rethink the whole project.
      02-08-2020, 03:16 AM   #849
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post
Quote:

What? So you mean your car has always been running a 328i engine and transmission in it? (ie., not a genuine 330i?) I am mildly confused....

In any case, sourcing a correct spec 6 speed transmission might be difficult, maybe it's time to rethink the whole project.
Found 3 or 4 promising candidates... not too bad.
~500 USD

Just frustrating to say the least...
Still moving forward with it. Especially after this gets rectified- I'll literally know the ins and outs of this car 😤

Edit: Yes. 328 drivetrain. Idk what possessed whatever owner at the time to do an entire drivetrain swap.... but alas- I get the shit end of that stick.
      02-08-2020, 03:48 AM   #850
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
~500 USD

Still moving forward with it. Especially after this gets rectified- I'll literally know the ins and outs of this car 😤

Edit: Yes. 328 drivetrain. Idk what possessed whatever owner at the time to do an entire drivetrain swap.... but alas- I get the shit end of that stick.
Glad that you can find them... and they are so cheap?! It's a nightmare to source a manual transmission in my area.

Speaking of which, the AEM meth injector arrived and I will install them on Tuesday.
      02-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #851
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post
Quote:
~500 USD

Glad that you can find them... and they are so cheap?! It's a nightmare to source a manual transmission in my area.

Speaking of which, the AEM meth injector arrived and I will install them on Tuesday.
You are RHD right?
If it ever fails, let me know... I can help you source one from over here- worst case scenario.

I'm envious! I keep back peddling. But seeing as how the car is sitting there... I might as well have them put that manifold on so I can be a step closer to having meth in my system
      02-14-2020, 04:39 AM   #852
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

New trans on the way! Trading the guys my intake manifold for the work on custom making me a silicone intake similar to the one found on the original ESS kit to fit from the blower to the N54 IM ... seeing as how it's the waiting game for the trans anyways. Then once that's done along with the PROPER trans being installed — Bob is doing me the solid of tweaking my file

I don't think I've been without my car this long. I miss doing hood rat shit, guys. FML.
      02-21-2020, 02:41 AM   #853
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Solid mounts for motor and trans? Not as bad as we thought it was gonna be. 🥳
      03-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #854
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Update?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:27 AM   #855
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmoser View Post
Quote:
Update?
The car pulls as it should!
Breaking in the new flywheel a bit more than it'll go back for the N54IM.
The chatter from the flywheel isn't terrible. And even though the mounts are solid for both trans and motor, it actually isn't a giant vibrator so to speak lol.
It feels like a little go kart now!
      03-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #856
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
we need videos now... m'boy

Congrats on this long road finally coming to an end.

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #857
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

YASSSS

Quote:
The chatter from the flywheel isn't terrible. And even though the mounts are solid for both trans and motor, it actually isn't a giant vibrator so to speak lol.
Noir883.00
      03-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #858
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you there while you have your tuning done?
Do you know what value did you put in the tuning for the intake valve travel? 11mm I suppose? Or that doesn't matter as the travel and duration is governed by the mechanical unit (the MILVs)?

Thanks, I am planning to install the set later this month.