E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Upgraded turbos & turbo replacement

03-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
xlromeolx
Rep
Drives: e92 coupe

Upgraded turbos & turbo replacement

I was searching up on this matter who has upgraded their turbos ? Vargas & pure turbos? Single turbo conversion? Or just refurbished theirs? Whats your input i hear the transfer case wont hold to upgraded turbos?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlromeolx View Post
I was searching up on this matter who has upgraded their turbos ? Vargas & pure turbos? Single turbo conversion? Or just refurbished theirs? Whats your input i hear the transfer case wont hold to upgraded turbos?
I just got my doc race single turbo 335xi on the road yesterday for testing. Its a complete monster, but a totally different animal from the twins. Depending on who you are it can be off-putting. Im still not sure if i favor it to the twins or not. I learned a lot during the installation process and all i can do is suggest this..... if you happen to know anyone that has any of the setups you are asking about, take their car for a test drive if they are willing.

It will be more telling than anything you will read about here.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
N5ifty4our
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335xi

I have Pure stage 2 high flows, capable of 500-700hp. They have about 20,000 miles on them. I love them. Would 100% recommend. Literally launches car. I haven't had any issues at all with anything, (including transfer case) and I drive in sport mode always (XHP trans tune) and any chance I get do a 40-pull. They are slightly louder than stock but they sound dope AF! I didn't like the loud ass sound of single turbo.
Was wanting to get the Vargas VTT V2 GC'S, but the shop that I had install the turbos, talked me into the high flow Pure's because they have a good warranty. I didn't know anything about either of them at the time. I just like Vargas products and I think Tony is super funny on all the forums.
After having the upgraded turbos for a year, I'd say it's worth every dime and I'd never go back to stock
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
Hyaboosta
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodex m.e. View Post
I just got my doc race single turbo 335xi on the road yesterday for testing. Its a complete monster, but a totally different animal from the twins. Depending on who you are it can be off-putting. Im still not sure if i favor it to the twins or not. I learned a lot during the installation process and all i can do is suggest this..... if you happen to know anyone that has any of the setups you are asking about, take their car for a test drive if they are willing.

It will be more telling than anything you will read about here.
mine felt really sluggish and dead on normal condition driving daily from light to light with the OTS BEF. Feels and sounds amazing WOT even the exhaust sounds different. Got my first Base map from Twisted Tuning and i guess he tweaks the throttle sensitivity and wgdc causing it accelerates under normal driving wayyyy better now. goes into boost really quickly from a light. The tune can make all the diff.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyaboosta View Post
mine felt really sluggish and dead on normal condition driving daily from light to light with the OTS BEF. Feels and sounds amazing WOT even the exhaust sounds different. Got my first Base map from Twisted Tuning and i guess he tweaks the throttle sensitivity and wgdc causing it accelerates under normal driving wayyyy better now. goes into boost really quickly from a light. The tune can make all the diff.
This is exactly my current observation with my setup. Sluggish and then a beast at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
mikes4
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Xi on pure stage 1's

93 and e50 tunes from Motiv. Running 93 and RWD right now because its cold and I need a new front shaft. I'll eventually go back to e50 when I put summer tires back on.

yes it is seriously fun on both. Chris and Jake at Motiv are wizards.

My car is super high mileage but I've replaced the transfer case, both front axles, a front driveshaft, and tons of other things. Its far less to think about when its RWD. Then its just tires.
Appreciate 0