E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > xDelete is SO FUN!

03-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
OstrichE92
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi Coupe

Garage List
xDelete is SO FUN!

Having driven AWD cars all my life, the only times I have really ever been able to have a car get squirrely was when I would drive my car on ice and intentionally drift it around or when I would put my foot down in my dads mustangs or his 435i RWD. When all the snow on the streets finally melted I put xDelete on and holy crap it's like having a second car!

Ignoring for now the debate and argument over if there is any performance gains or not, the car feels sooo much differently than when its in AWD mode. The steering feels a little more precise even at lower speeds, and when you put your foot down you're able to feel the back tires fight for traction and then when they finally catch you're thrown back in your seat! Then 2 minutes later you can put your car back into AWD and enjoy some quicker launches and know that you won't be sliding around

All in all, xDelete seems to work really well and I'd recommend it for anyone on here that's itching for something to do to their cars without breaking the bank.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
335XIGUY6SPEED
Rep
Drives: Man

How did you do the xDelete?! Really want to try it out
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
OstrichE92
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335XIGUY6SPEED View Post
How did you do the xDelete?! Really want to try it out
Its just like flashing a tune like MHD to your car!
I'll link you a video and the forum page that introduced it.

Forum: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557299
Install video:

Basically you need an Android tablet or phone, a K+DCAN + USB Adapter cable and the app.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
slowgan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I agree! I put xdelete on this past weekend and it makes the steering a lot lighter and turning dsc off actually spins the tires now.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Here I thought all the interwebz told me RWD is so inferior to AWD in all aspects...

RWD FTW.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
OstrichE92
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Here I thought all the interwebz told me RWD is so inferior to AWD in all aspects...

RWD FTW.
There's definitely pros and cons to each!
I live in a super awful winter climate for 50% of the year and I would much rather have AWD than RWD, both with snow tires. Not having to worry about lack of traction from a stop is really nice. A downside to AWD is definitely the weaker steering feel and the extra weight attached to the car.

RWD makes for a much more lively driving experience in my opinion.. The car feels much more alive, but dead starts are definitely a lot easier in AWD mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Actually did this myself recently. It really wakes up the car, steering is lighter, car feels more nimble, better response, gas mileage, ETC. Only downside is it awakens you to how much this car needs an LSD. When it comes to doing any racing, especially from a stop or low speed, you're likely better off keeping the X Drive on.
Appreciate 2
Supermoon166.00
type-dRew641.00
      03-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

xDelete is a great piece of software. However, I'm quickly finding the 335xi is not really built for RWD. As Jeff pointed out, there's no LSD. So with DSC and DTC disabled, my stage 1 car is twitchy, bordering on dangerous. The back end breaks out quickly. It comes back even more quickly, the instant I come off the throttle, but the process is too fast and violent to be really controllable, or even fun. Just unnerving. With DSC or DTC enabled, the traction control systems have to engage pretty much every time I lay into it, so there's no smoothness or fun.
For this to work, I think a staggered setup is really necessary. These 225s just can't handle this much torque.
An LSD might be the answer. Time to research...
Appreciate 1
Supermoon166.00
      03-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
xDelete is a great piece of software. However, I'm quickly finding the 335xi is not really built for RWD. As Jeff pointed out, there's no LSD. So with DSC and DTC disabled, my stage 1 car is twitchy, bordering on dangerous. The back end breaks out quickly. It comes back even more quickly, the instant I come off the throttle, but the process is too fast and violent to be really controllable, or even fun. Just unnerving. With DSC or DTC enabled, the traction control systems have to engage pretty much every time I lay into it, so there's no smoothness or fun.
For this to work, I think a staggered setup is really necessary. These 225s just can't handle this much torque.
Don't think much research is required.... limited slip differential will definitely help to the point you start to lose traction, which all wheel drive will still be gripping..... it's amazing how BMW nannies help control the power along with vehicle with all-wheel drive engaged with DTC on.....and if you disable traction control without AWD+ LSD things are always going to get squirrelly.
I think the x-drive guys just want to feel some oversteer and possibly the smell of smoke while accelerating to their next tire choice...which seems like a reasonable proposition all things considered.
But by all means research on
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
225's! Definitely time for some upgraded wheels and tires. Suspension and brakes too if you haven't already either.

After having the RWD counterpart and owning the Xi variant, they are definitely different in many aspects. Even with having my Xi able to be RWD now.

Biggest pitfall on the X Drive is the suspension. It needs a good set of coilovers (or shocks and springs) and the Sway Bars upgraded + custom alignment. Need to get as much negative camber up front and reduce some in the rear too.

I have 265's out back, still not enough for FBO+Methanol. This chassis really wasn't made out of the box for what we enthusiast typically throw at it and even with some upgrades, it still requires more.

It can be a great platform to upgrade and have fun though. I really much prefer it for the low end torque and quick bursts of acceleration and it's still much faster then most other cars on the road in it's price range when new.

For me my Xi is a daily/winter car. I use my Z06 for the real enthusiast driving but it was nice to get a significant change out of my 335i with the XDelete, albeit it pointing out some short comings.

LSD is one of many necessary upgrades.

Happy modding!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:37 PM   #11
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah, just scared the hell out of myself, nearly ran up a big repair bill. xDrive is getting turned back on till the undercarriage is upgraded. Thinking 255/40/17s in back, Bilstein B8s & Dinan springs all around.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #12
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

In RWD mode any kind of straight line performance increase (at any speed), fuel economy increase or responsiveness is just a placebo effect as nothing in the overall drive line losses equation has changed other than less overall traction.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #13
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
thread title should read: "RWD is SO FUN"

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #14
OstrichE92
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
thread title should read: "RWD is SO FUN"
Haha, not sure that title would be very helpful in the xDrive section of the forum
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #15
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Actually did this myself recently. It really wakes up the car, steering is lighter, car feels more nimble, better response, gas mileage, ETC. Only downside is it awakens you to how much this car needs an LSD. When it comes to doing any racing, especially from a stop or low speed, you're likely better off keeping the X Drive on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown07 View Post
In RWD mode any kind of straight line performance increase (at any speed), fuel economy increase or responsiveness is just a placebo effect as nothing in the overall drive line losses equation has changed other than less overall traction.
Agreed. blown07 understands basic physics/thermodynamics. xDelete is fun but doesn't make anything faster, more efficient, or have "better response".
Appreciate 1
blown07202.00
      03-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #16
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: '10 E91 335xi N55 MT6

From a technical standpoint I totally agree with blown. Having tried xDelete myself though, I can vouch that for some stupid reason it feels faster and I'm not talking about those cases with the rear tires slipping. Also the point about the steering is true. However, now I think I should maybe change the ATC oil and reset, then see if it's maybe more nimble again with xDrive ON.

Before I got xDelete, I pulled the trigger on a Wavetrac LSD though and had to put that in in a rush.. love it
Something like xDelete is the reason I actually bought xDrive over a quattro, 4matic or other AWD....I always thought, ok it's an electromechanically actuated clutch, there's gotta be some way to turn this off and run it RWD. Only came as far as messing with some fuses and the ATC stepper motor connector, then that godsend of xDelete appeared
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the heads up on the Wavetrac. $2K and a plug-and-play installation is tempting...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Agreed. blown07 understands basic physics/thermodynamics. xDelete is fun but doesn't make anything faster, more efficient, or have "better response".
I guess I didn't pay much attention in physics class but I'm perplexed by how it's said to be placebo?

Power is only being sent to the rear wheels.

That means less drivetrain loss.

Is it the same as a completely RWD vehicle, no. X drive still weighs 180lbs more then RWD cars and we are still rotating the front axles and they still have some drag. Transfer case also has it's resistance in play too (I believe).

It's absolutely not a placebo affect as to having less rolling resistance and increased efficiency though. Anyway, agree to disagree. Everyone is right on the internet anyway?

If you have something more complex as to how you guys got this notion, I'd be happy to be educated on it.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 03-27-2019 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #19
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Power is only being sent to the rear wheels. That means less drivetrain loss.
Nope. The front wheels are most likely on the ground, which means the front diff and drive shaft are spinning and losing either way.
Quote:
X drive still weighs 180lbs more then RWD cars and we are still rotating the front axles and they still have some drag. Transfer case also has it's resistance in play too (I believe).
You got it! Transfer case resistance is present whether the clutch is engaged or not.
Quote:
It's absolutely not a placebo affect as to having less rolling resistance and increased efficiency though.
All 4 wheels are rolling. All 4 half-shafts are fighting inertia. Both diffs are spinning. Both driveshafts are twirling away. Rolling resistance is the same. Therefore efficiency is the same.
Quote:
Anyway, agree to disagree. Everyone is right on the internet anyway? If you have something more complex as to how you guys got this notion, I'd be happy to be educated on it.
Yup, as just someone on the internet, you have very little reason to blindly believe me. But you can accept the information I've provided and run it thru your BS detector, and hopefully arrive to a similar conclusion.
Appreciate 1
niksss10.00
      03-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Nope. The front wheels are most likely on the ground, which means the front diff and drive shaft are spinning and losing either way.You got it! Transfer case resistance is present whether the clutch is engaged or not.All 4 wheels are rolling. All 4 half-shafts are fighting inertia. Both diffs are spinning. Both driveshafts are twirling away. Rolling resistance is the same. Therefore efficiency is the same.Yup, as just someone on the internet, you have very little reason to blindly believe me. But you can accept the information I've provided and run it thru your BS detector, and hopefully arrive to a similar conclusion.
Well I appreciate your response nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #21
Trelos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 white 335xi & 89 white 325i

Awesome for dyno tune no? Think I may have to get this...drove a 328i rwd 6MT for close to 200,000 miles...AWD spoils you...floor it and go lol.
Anyone know if this works with automatic only or can I use it on my 6MT 335?

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #22
OstrichE92
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelos View Post
Awesome for dyno tune no? Think I may have to get this...drove a 328i rwd 6MT for close to 200,000 miles...AWD spoils you...floor it and go lol.
Anyone know if this works with automatic only or can I use it on my 6MT 335?
Pretty sure xDelete will work on manual transmissions, just give their app page a look before you buy it obviously.
Appreciate 0