E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > possible water damage to fuse box causing battery drain?

01-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
OITSTCIMurder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Question possible water damage to fuse box causing battery drain?

Hi All,

So after washing my car I noticed the passenger floor was wet. That same evening my battery died when I left it parked over night. I tested the battery at Auto Zone and that was not the issue, neither was the alternator.
Later I read that someone with the same problem of water in the passenger seat also found their glovebox to be wet and inches away from the fuse box being wet.

My question is, can this cause my battery to drain at about 1v per 2-3 hours?
If so, what are my options? Currently I'm unplugging the battery from the trunk every time I park but I hear that's bad for the car computer if do it too often. This video helps test fuses to see what is sucking it out (
), but at this point, is it even a fuse or is the the entire fuse box gone to hell?

Thank you

Last edited by OITSTCIMurder; 01-28-2015 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
OITSTCIMurder
United_States
Rep

any electricians? help would be greatly appreciated. I just got a BMW a month ago so I'm new to this community
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

I guess its possible but I highly doubt a short caused by water would drain the battery before the water evaporated without displaying some other obvious signs of that happening.

I'd start by putting a clamp on it and see how much draw there is when the car is idle and in sleep mode. You could technically do this with a multimeter, but if current draw is really running away it could end up damaging a less expensive meter.

I'd be looking at this too. There's attachments in the thread including the TSB on the issue.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549735
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
OITSTCIMurder
United_States
Rep

DRAIN PROBLEM SOLVED:
First of all, is your passenger footwell wet after a car wash or rain? If so, there is a shitty design where BMW has a small black plug from under the hood that prevents water from going inside your car. For some reason, my plug was missing and it caused a lot of water to enter my car and it also passed through the fuse box. Turns out I had a damaged fuse box, which costs about $100 at the dealer and now no more battery drain!!

NEW PROBLEM
Junction box module was corroded so I decided to buy a new one as well, however after plugging it in I got a lot of errors. I have a e93 and the top isnt folding and the rear windows move at about 2 inches per click of the button. On top of that I get a "power window anti trap function" error about 2-3 times per minute.. extremely annoying. Anyone know if I need to take it to the dealer and reprogram it or something since I got a new Junction box?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
DennyD06
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OITSTCIMurder View Post
DRAIN PROBLEM SOLVED:
First of all, is your passenger footwell wet after a car wash or rain? If so, there is a shitty design where BMW has a small black plug from under the hood that prevents water from going inside your car. For some reason, my plug was missing and it caused a lot of water to enter my car and it also passed through the fuse box. Turns out I had a damaged fuse box, which costs about $100 at the dealer and now no more battery drain!!

NEW PROBLEM
Junction box module was corroded so I decided to buy a new one as well, however after plugging it in I got a lot of errors. I have a e93 and the top isnt folding and the rear windows move at about 2 inches per click of the button. On top of that I get a "power window anti trap function" error about 2-3 times per minute.. extremely annoying. Anyone know if I need to take it to the dealer and reprogram it or something since I got a new Junction box?

Where is this plug exactly ? I'm having the same problem after heave rain .
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
OITSTCIMurder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyD06 View Post
Where is this plug exactly ? I'm having the same problem after heave rain .
FIRST: make sure your drain covers under the hood on both sides are not clogged.

OK. sorry for the late reply. its dark here and I had a couple minutes to spare so I ran out and gave a very simple, non descriptive location of the plug. It should take you about 10min to take it apart and 10min to assemble.

IF its missing then fill it with something, I used silicone. But if its there but you suspect it may be cracked then test it out by removing the plastic cover near the passenger footwell and pour a cup of water over the plug to see if it drips inside the car.

IF it does not drip then your problem may be from the passenger door or the drain plug under the passenger carpet.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 02:01 AM   #7
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

I'm having a frustrating battery issue as well. Checked all fuses but no luck. Something keeps my,car awake. The way I can tell is that my start stop button remains on after a while
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
still in school
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

In reference to the intake duct to the blower motor, where is the plug and aproximately how many inches away?
Appreciate 0