E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > output shaft/diff broken? HELP

03-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
arch2r84
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

output shaft/diff broken? HELP

Hey, everyone, I could use some help. I was driving earlier today and did a rather hard 1st to 2nd shift and after the clutch engaged there was a rather unsettling vibration and a metal clunking noise coming from the right rear side of the car. I pulled over and tried to drive away after but now the clutch engages and the car has no power. I can hear the right rear output shaft from what i can tell clunking around and im wondering if anyone has any ideas to check if its not the diff and what i may have to get to fix the issue. Im crossing my fingers its just the right rear output shaft but i jacked the car up and its all in one piece. No oil from the boots from what i can tell and the output shaft rattles around and has some play in it compared to the left side which is solid. Any help is appreciated let me know if there is any more information i can supply you with.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Wheel hop damaged something. How do you mean no power?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Did you check that the axle CV joints are still in one piece? One could be broken inside its boot.

I'm assuming by no power you mean the car literally doesn't move? Sounds like power isn't getting to both wheels causing the diff to just send power to a freely spinning shaft, if i understand your post correctly.

Shouldn't be too bad to troubleshoot. Follow the driveshaft to the diff and then follow each axle out of the diff to the tires. Wherever the spinning stops is where you have a broken part. Alternatively you could spin each wheel with your hand and see if the axles are turning the diff.
Appreciate 0