E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > UUC Short Shift Kit review for XI's

09-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

UUC Short Shift Kit review for XI's

Ok fellas here it is. I just had my UUC short shift kit installed. The pro's out weigh the cons. So let me start by saying this. Holy FU*&in shit. You can now shift from 1st through 2nd without having to use enough force that might dislocate your shoulder LOL. I had the BMW SSK and thought it was pretty good but after using the UUC SSK for a about 2 hours I can see what a difference a proper shifter feels like. I always had trouble with the stock shifter as well as BMW's SSK shifting from 1st to 2nd but the UUC solves that problem. Every shift is precise and just thumps right into gear. No more of that rubbing or cracking feeling with BMW plastic ball. I also have the adjustable big heavy shifter knob that UUC sells with the leather around it. The weighted shifter knob also makes a huge difference. It took a few hours for it to be installed because the transfer case had to be dropped. My guy charged me $180 to do the job. I think he would charge others like $200.

Now for the cons and its really only two. Of the two, the 2nd problem is because of probelm 1. Ok so here is problem 1. The shifter is to tall. I wish that it was about 1-2 inches shorter. Some of you might like that tall shifter due to the fact that you can actually rest your wrist on it. After about 30 min's I got used to it. And problem 2 is that because the shifter is a little tall when you are shifting you almost feel like you are going to shifting improperly. For example when i down shifted from 6th to 4th it felt a little weird. Maybe it felt weird because it was correct LOL. And BMW either screwed up on their shifters or decided to cheap out and not spend an additional $20 to make their shifters like UUC's. Personally I think UUC should contact BMW and sell them their design so that it would be a standard on all BMW's. However I dont see that happening very soon.

That being said. I totally recomend this SSK to all you XI guys. So far I have UUC's rear sway bar and will be purchasing the front within the next 2-3 weeks. I know Longodj got his UUC SSK as well but Im whether he did a write up as of yet. If Im not mistaken he might of gotten it installed and was going to give feedback to UUC. Either way I think Longodj's write up will be a bit more informative since he will most likely track his car.

Last edited by cycler; 09-16-2008 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Great review, I'd like to get that review up on our site btw.

UUC's been a leader in making shortshifters for the BMW for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

isnt it adjustable ? at the lowest point its still to high?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibusta69 View Post
isnt it adjustable ? at the lowest point its still to high?
The shifter knob is adjustable.....however not like most think. There is a hex screw that tightens the shifter knob against the shifter rod. The shifter knob has a small hollow shaft. Your basically sliding it up and down until you have your desired height. But once the hex screw is tightened the only way to adjust the knob is to loosen the screw. Even though mine is set to the lowest point the shifter rod itself is slightly tall. Its not bad however I was just used to the height of the BMW short shift kit. Then again it might be because its an XI. Another guy on this forum infamous333 has the BMW ssk and his sits lower than the way my BMW ssk sat in my car. His shifter knob is really low. Almost like a Japanese car.

Last edited by cycler; 09-16-2008 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Rob * UUC Motorwerks
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: just about everything.

Thanks for the review, glad you like it!

A few comments:

Height: when we were developing the E90/E92 shifters, the one universal comment we had from all prototype testers was that they thought the height of the original shifter was too low. We usually make our adjustable-height shifters go from original height and then lower... but we did the opposite with the E90/E92 in that the lowest setting is about 1/4" higher than the original shifter, and can be adjusted even taller.

What we can do is offer an option: You can order the shifter in the "shorty" (standard) configuration, where it will go from original height and adjust lower, or the "tallboy" height as described in the review above.

Aaron, you are using the height-adjustable knob that we sent you, but let's make sure that you realize the shifter height is adjusted all by itself:

You can order the UUC Evo3 for 335Xi with either STANDARD or TALL option now:

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/Product680
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Why did you have to drop the transfer case? I thought longodj said the first prototype you had to drop the transfer case to get it in, so he sent it back to UUC and the new shifter was suppose to be installed from the cab. Can you install this shifter from the interior like the BMW SSK? I would love to get rid of the hard shift between 1st and 2nd with my bmw ssk.
      09-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Why did you have to drop the transfer case? I thought longodj said the first prototype you had to drop the transfer case to get it in, so he sent it back to UUC and the new shifter was suppose to be installed from the cab. Can you install this shifter from the interior like the BMW SSK? I would love to get rid of the hard shift between 1st and 2nd with my bmw ssk.
From what my installer told me he couldnt do it without dropping the transfer case. There just wasnt enough room to play with.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Do you have to use their carrier or is it just the shift lever? As good as this shifter may sound I'm finding it hard to justify the $355 price tag.
      09-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Do you have to use their carrier or is it just the shift lever? As good as this shifter may sound I'm finding it hard to justify the $355 price tag.
Im not sure. You can either ask Longodj or Rob at UUC. However if Im not mstaken you use their carrier. Regarding cost, you are right it is a little steep. That being said they do refund you $75.00 if you send them your old shifter and they were advertising 50% off on their shifter knobs. So technically it would be $347.50 for both the shifter and knob. Or $280 for just the shifter. But it is so worth it.
Appreciate 0