E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > *Starting Problem*WEIRD* Can only get it to start with a trick!

04-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
giveitup
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Arrow *Starting Problem*WEIRD* Can only get it to start with a trick!

So this is my problem, I hope folks out here can help. Not sure if this is a battery problem or something bigger.

I put they key in the key slot and press the start button. I dont get a crank. After a couple of tries (key out, key in, start) the car cranks but the gear shaft is stuck. THe first sign that lights up is the yellow cog wheel sign with the exclamation mark, all other lights in the dashboard light up, wipers start working (cannot stop them) and the small orange light appears but flickers next to 'P' in the gear shaft. (No AC, No Radio)

I leave the key in for a while, after about 30 seconds - 1 minute later, my AC starts working. After another 30 seconds the Radio comes on. I rev it slightly, The light in the gear shaft becomes the normal brighter orange.

I switch the car off, take the key out, key in, Start, the car cranks, No lights, no cog sign, AC on, Radio on, wiper are cool, gear shift shifting, EVERYTHING IS NORMAL! Car drives Fine! WTF!

This happens almost 9/10 times I tried to start my car and wastes about 5 minutes everytime I get into my car. I showed it to the showroom, they obviously dont know what is going on. Wondering if someone out here can figure this one out. Would appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
douglasberardi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive

Is your car 2007-12?

I just got a letter from BMW about a recall on a connection with the vehicle power supply. A connection on the fuse box can wear out and can cause some of the issues you seem to be describing.

This is code on the letter for reference:
Recall Campaign No. 13V-044:Power Supply System

Not sure if related but you never know...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

I'm not sure it this is your problem, but the first thing that came to mind when reading your post was this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511799

I would make sure none of those wires are broken by the gear shift.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
taranonline
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Check the battery??
Appreciate 0