E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Cruise control Retrofit issues with SZL

11-12-2020, 02:01 AM   #1
Tomas321
Rep
Drives: BMW preLCI E91 330D

Cruise control Retrofit issues with SZL

Hi,

I am a bit of a beginner, then it come to cars and coding, but I decided to retrofit cruise control to my car.

Just letting you know from the start, that I did tried to search online and on this forum, but I did not find anything like my issue online.

I have BMW e91 (wagon) pre LCI 330d LHD Manual and I am trying to retrofit cruise control that only keeps the car speed steady on motorway (no dynamic cruise control or active braking). My old SZL wiper arm has rain sensor and back window wiper funcition. Also I have active steering.

I read up online that I need new SZL (Steering Switch Unit) that has cruise control arm on it and lower trim piece to fit the new control arm.

So I ordered used SZL online from similar car (BMW e90 (sedan) 330D RHD Manual with same engine power), it had wiper arm that does not wipe rear window, so I switch that arm from my old SZL and by following tutorial online, I also changed Coil spring from new one to my old one.

After removing my old SZL and putting new one on, I noticed that my wiper arm and light indicator arm is no longer working. Wiper arm does not work when you pull it or push it in any direction and light indicator arm does not work in same manner. The only thing that works from these two arm are the BC button with the scroll wheel on light indicator arm and rain sensor activation on wiper arm.

Also after putting everything on I had alot of erros (DTC, Steering wheel !) and noticing that the arms are not working properly I thought that it needs just coding. So I started up my laptop, I added Cruise control option (TEMPOMAT) to Kombi trough NCS Expert, then I added $540 VO to CMS and FRM by adding VO and running FA_Write on CAS. Then I also reopened NCS Expert and selected DSC and ran Sg_Codieren. Then I still had error, but I when to Tool32, selected my DSC_87 and ran lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen.

After all that, my SZL control arm are still not working, I can't activate high beams or turn on turn signal (but my hazard lights work) and I can't turn on front or rear window wipers. Also I still had same error, but because I have active steering I knew I had to turn steering wheel from one to another side and go for a short drive, so I drove in small parking lot for a bit and then turn off and on the car. Now it does not display any errors on dashboard, but SZL control arms are still not working. Didn't test cruise control, due to turn signals not working, therefore I didn't wanted to go on public road.

I was following retrofit guide from YouTube, he retrofitted and coded cruise control on his Z4, the only difference I had that when adding VO I didn't had few options to code VO and I didn't had ZDSC so I use DSC and for Tool32 I use DSC_87 and not DSC_89.

Has anyone encountered this issue and knows where the problem is? Maybe I need to program something additionally or my SZL is faulty?

Thank you in advance

P.S

Errors I get in INPA:

Video showing problem with SZL arms:
https://youtu.be/uhuMagfkeBc

Last edited by Tomas321; 11-12-2020 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Tomas321
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Try changing 540 to 544. Pretty sure 540 is only for 4cyl cars. You also need to FA write to the FRM as well as CAS.

I'm a bit suspicious you may have the wrong SZL also. I don't think it's as easy as swapping over the arms. It has to be the right SZL for the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 320d ~200 bhp

For BMW E89, E7X platforms, you can't upgrade the SZL's arms as you can do it in E6X. If you wish to have an SZL with all your previous options and cruise control, you have to buy an SZL with those options.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon2015 View Post
For BMW E89, E7X platforms, you can't upgrade the SZL's arms as you can do it in E6X. If you wish to have an SZL with all your previous options and cruise control, you have to buy an SZL with those options.
I'm curious as to why? I don't think BMW would make so many hardware variants for the different combinations. It's inefficient. The conventional wisdom is make one module and allow for variants via software.
I'm not saying you're incorrect I'm saying I'd like to understand why BMW would do it that way.
      11-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #6
Tomas321
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
Try changing 540 to 544. Pretty sure 540 is only for 4cyl cars. You also need to FA write to the FRM as well as CAS.

I'm a bit suspicious you may have the wrong SZL also. I don't think it's as easy as swapping over the arms. It has to be the right SZL for the car.
I choose SZL from E90 with same engine and power, differences where: wiper has no rear window switch and that E90 is from RHD and my car is LHD.

I swapped only wiper arm to SZL with Cruise Control, nothing else.

As for FA, I wrote 540 to CAS and FRM before making this thread, I search FA list in this forum and 544 said it is for Active Cruise control
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Tomas321
Rep

Should wipers and blinker/high beam switcher work without any programming? (As soon as I connect them to car)

And as I understand the only programming steps I need to do are these:
1. Add FA to CAS and FRM (Not sure now which FA to use) with NCS Expert
2. Add cruise control option to Kombi with NCS Expert
3. With Tool32 Calibrate DSC (No need to do something with SZL programming?)

Thats it?

And does anyone know if E91 pre LCI 2006 330D 170Kw does even support cruise control?

Sorry for this many questions, I just really want cruise control on this nice car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:05 AM   #8
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas321 View Post
I choose SZL from E90 with same engine and power, differences where: wiper has no rear window switch and that E90 is from RHD and my car is LHD.

I swapped only wiper arm to SZL with Cruise Control, nothing else.

As for FA, I wrote 540 to CAS and FRM before making this thread, I search FA list in this forum and 544 said it is for Active Cruise control
540 is not possible with a 6 cylinder car. 540 only came on 4 cylinder cars. 544 is cruise control with braking function. 541 is active cruise control.

A 330d only came with either 544 or 541. 541 is harder to install as it needs a front bumper mounted radar and the wiring.

You must have the correct SZL for your car. You can't swap arms.

According to ETK the SZL you need is the same for all 6 cylinder e91 cars.

These are the part numbers that will work on your car below, assuming it has, rain sensor and multi function steering wheel.
Attached Images

Last edited by F31B48; 11-17-2020 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:23 AM   #9
Tomas321
Rep

Quote:
540 is not possible with a 6 cylinder car. 540 only came on 4 cylinder cars. 544 is cruise control with braking function. 541 is active cruise control.

A 330d only came with either 544 or 541. 541 is harder to install as it needs a front bumper mounted radar and the wiring.

You must have the correct SZL for your car. You can't swap arms.

According to ETK the SZL you need is the same for all 6 cylinder e91 cars.

These are the part numbers that will work on your car below, assuming it has, rain sensor and multi function steering wheel.
I search a bit about 544 (CC with braking) it seems to be just simple CC but it maintains speed limit uphill/downhill and when reducing speed with CC switch it will use brakes to slow down. So as I understand there is no additional install requirements because it does not need additional front bumper sensors as you said in 541.

Sorry no to mention this before , but my car has steering wheel with no multi functions (no buttons on it), and a rain sensor.

Could you also tell me where could I get this ETK program, seems that it is not web based. (Would like to have offline version)

[EDIT]
By looking up online, it seems that 61319123051 should fit my car and it does support Rain Sensor + CC with brake function, but if understood this model correctly it seems, that this part support steering wheels with multi function control and without it, so it should work on my car?

So this also means, that I could retrofit (buttons) multifunction control on my steering wheel later?

Last edited by Tomas321; 11-17-2020 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:14 AM   #10
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Yes that's correct. No other parts needed for 544, just code the DSC and KOMBI after changing the VO in CAS and FRM. The only thing that is different from standard cruise control is 544 will brake the car automatically to maintain your set speed when going downhill. That's all.

Yes you can retrofit multi function steering wheel very easily. There should be some threads on it here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #11
Tomas321
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's correct. No other parts needed for 544, just code the DSC and KOMBI after changing the VO in CAS and FRM. The only thing that is different from standard cruise control is 544 will brake the car automatically to maintain your set speed when going downhill. That's all.

Yes you can retrofit multi function steering wheel very easily. There should be some threads on it here somewhere.
Thank you, I just ordered the part. Will report back on how it when through
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:47 AM   #12
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

You can't use clockspring from non rear wiper car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #13
Tomas321
Rep

#2 Attempt

Yesterday I fitted used SZL with 9 123 051 051-02 part number.

The part came with no Spring Coil, so I remove original one (from my car SZL with no cruise control) and put it on on the new part.

After fitting, blinkers. high-beam and wipers worked instantly, but I had DSC ABS and Steering wheel Errors.

Firstly, I wanted to check if KOMBI option "TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER" is set to "wert_02", which it was, so I did not upload anything back to NSC Expert, I just closed it.

Next I went to NCS Expert Added VO $544 to FRM and CSM:
By going (Load Manipulation profile) -> F1 Start -> F3 Chassis -> E89 -> CAS -> F2 Add VO -> $544 (clicking Add) -> F6 then Going Back -> F4 Choose ECU -> CAS -> F2 Change job to Write_FA -> F3 running job.

After job ended I think my laptop turned off for some reason, not quite sure why.

So I turned it on again, NSC -> Manipulation -> F1 -> F3 -> E89 -> FRM this time -> F2 Edit VO -> $544 -> F6 -> F4 Choosing EDU -> FRM this time also -> F2 FA_Write -> F3 Running job.

Then I followed youtube guide on Z4 he said that you need to do following steps:
NSC-> F1 Start -> F3 Chassis -> Back -> Choose EDU -> ZDSC -> Job SG_CODIEREN -> F3 Execute job

So I just changed ZDSC to DSC, because mine did not have ZDSC option.

Then I opened ToolSet32 -> Selected DSC_87 -> "lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen".

After this I turned my car back on, it still had error, so I turned engine on and off, DSC and ABS errors where gone, but Steering wheel error was on. I have active steering, so I knew that I need to take a short trip. After few mins I had 0 lights on dash, but cruise control did not work.

I read up some threads that suggested to "let the car sleep on it", so I went home and waited for the next morning. Next day, about 15 hours later, I went on highway to test cruise control and it did nothing. I tried pulling and pushing cruise control arm in every way, but there was no speed control and no message on dashboard (After releasing gas pedal, speed would just go down). I connected my laptop to the car, to check if I had any errors.

Sadly I had

FRM 9CD3 and 9CD2 seems to be something about side mirrors folding mechanism.I believe I had this error long ago this retrofit.

DSC D35B and 9520 were new.
Googling it I suppose these errors have this meaning (not 100% sure if these are correct ones):

D35B - DSC: No message(LDM 213) (System DSC)
9520 - MFL button pad, right (System SZL)

I suppose SZL errors show up on DSC, due to their connection.

And I also wanted to be 100% sure that I had that CC option set to KOMBI, so I went to NSC -> F1 Start -> F3 Chassis -> E89 -> F6 Back -> Choose ECU -> KOMBI -> JOB "SG_CODIEREN" -> F4 Read ECU -> And now I am getting error: SGVT-Fehler "COAPI-1000: Fehler".

I tried looking it up, but all I found was similar guy like me stuck in this position
I am not quite sure what I did wrong, to get this error.
INPA always shows Cable ON and Ignition ON, so I assume that connection is ok, the only thing that I left, was the VO $540 from the previous attempt and that my laptop suddenly shut off.

I know I am asking a lot here, but I really don't know anyone locally that works on this kind of jobs. And of course I would like to learn as much as can on my own
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #14
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
#2 Attempt

Yesterday I fitted used SZL with 9 123 051 051-02 part number.

The part came with no Spring Coil, so I remove original one (from my car SZL with no cruise control) and put it on on the new part.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

After fitting, blinkers. high-beam and wipers worked instantly, but I had DSC ABS and Steering wheel Errors.

Firstly, I wanted to check if KOMBI option "TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER" is set to "wert_02", which it was, so I did not upload anything back to NSC Expert, I just closed it.

Next I went to NCS Expert Added VO $544 to FRM and CSM:
By going (Load Manipulation profile) -> F1 Start -> F3 Chassis -> E89 -> CAS -> F2 Add VO -> $544 (clicking Add) -> F6 then Going Back -> F4 Choose ECU -> CAS -> F2 Change job to Write_FA -> F3 running job.

After job ended I think my laptop turned off for some reason, not quite sure why.

So I turned it on again, NSC -> Manipulation -> F1 -> F3 -> E89 -> FRM this time -> F2 Edit VO -> $544 -> F6 -> F4 Choosing EDU -> FRM this time also -> F2 FA_Write -> F3 Running job.

Then I followed youtube guide on Z4 he said that you need to do following steps:
NSC-> F1 Start -> F3 Chassis -> Back -> Choose EDU -> ZDSC -> Job SG_CODIEREN -> F3 Execute job

So I just changed ZDSC to DSC, because mine did not have ZDSC option.

Then I opened ToolSet32 -> Selected DSC_87 -> "lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen".

After this I turned my car back on, it still had error, so I turned engine on and off, DSC and ABS errors where gone, but Steering wheel error was on. I have active steering, so I knew that I need to take a short trip. After few mins I had 0 lights on dash, but cruise control did not work.

I read up some threads that suggested to "let the car sleep on it", so I went home and waited for the next morning. Next day, about 15 hours later, I went on highway to test cruise control and it did nothing. I tried pulling and pushing cruise control arm in every way, but there was no speed control and no message on dashboard (After releasing gas pedal, speed would just go down). I connected my laptop to the car, to check if I had any errors.

Sadly I had

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

FRM 9CD3 and 9CD2 seems to be something about side mirrors folding mechanism.I believe I had this error long ago this retrofit.

DSC D35B and 9520 were new.
Googling it I suppose these errors have this meaning (not 100% sure if these are correct ones):

D35B - DSC: No message(LDM 213) (System DSC)
9520 - MFL button pad, right (System SZL)

I suppose SZL errors show up on DSC, due to their connection.

And I also wanted to be 100% sure that I had that CC option set to KOMBI, so I went to NSC -> F1 Start -> F3 Chassis -> E89 -> F6 Back -> Choose ECU -> KOMBI -> JOB "SG_CODIEREN" -> F4 Read ECU -> And now I am getting error: SGVT-Fehler "COAPI-1000: Fehler".

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

I tried looking it up, but all I found was similar guy like me stuck in this position
I am not quite sure what I did wrong, to get this error.
INPA always shows Cable ON and Ignition ON, so I assume that connection is ok, the only thing that I left, was the VO $540 from the previous attempt and that my laptop suddenly shut off.

I know I am asking a lot here, but I really don't know anyone locally that works on this kind of jobs. And of course I would like to learn as much as can on my own
I don't know for sure but I do know that once you change SZL you need to calibrate it with the DSC

Ista-d is handy for this. I'm told it can be tricky and might take a couple of goes. The SZL is under the DSC module in ista D
      11-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #15
F31B48
Captain
Rep

I think i have found your problem. I just noticed in your screenshot above that your car was built in 12/2005. This means you will also need to add an LDM (longitudinal dynamics module) and wire it into the car. You can get a used one for about $50. Wiring it into the car is a bit of a pain, but not too bad. All 6 cylinder cars before 9/2006 require an LDM for the cruise control. From 9/2006 onwards, it was integrated into the DSC unit. You can use any of the part numbers in this photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by F31B48; 11-23-2020 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #16
Tomas321
Rep

Quote:
I think i have found your problem. I just noticed in your screenshot above that your car was built in 12/2005. This means you will also need to add an LDM (longitudinal dynamics module) and wire it into the car. You can get a used one for about $50. Wiring it into the car is a bit of a pain, but not too bad. All 6 cylinder cars before 9/2006 require an LDM for the cruise control. From 9/2006 onwards, it was integrated into the DSC unit. You can use any of the part numbers in this photo.
Looked online for LDM module, I found few, but I could find any wire harness

At this moment I am a bit more worried about the NSC Expert Error: "SGVT-Fehler COAPI-1000: Fehler".

Perhaps you know how to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 320d ~200 bhp

The NCS error refers to the fact the your FA is wrong, try to read it from the FRM. If you get the same error, you will have to search for the culprit option, by removing one at a time. I suggest that you start with $544.

Also, I suggest that you remove $544 and add $540, code DSC and DDE if available, with blank man file. Then try the cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #18
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon2015 View Post
The NCS error refers to the fact the your FA is wrong, try to read it from the FRM. If you get the same error, you will have to search for the culprit option, by removing one at a time. I suggest that you start with $544.

Also, I suggest that you remove $544 and add $540, code DSC and DDE if available, with blank man file. Then try the cruise control.
Do you have a list of all of the NCS and their meanings ?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:23 AM   #19
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Looked online for LDM module, I found few, but I could find any wire harness

At this moment I am a bit more worried about the NSC Expert Error: "SGVT-Fehler COAPI-1000: Fehler".

Perhaps you know how to fix it?
Just re-reading your posts, you said your laptop turned off by itself. So double check and make sure you have 544 In both the CAS and FRM.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:20 AM   #20
Tomas321
Rep

Quote:
Just re-reading your posts, you said your laptop turned off by itself. So double check and make sure you have 544 In both the CAS and FRM.
Sorry, I forgot to mention, yes I had $544, $540, I will try to remove them to see if kombi error fixes
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #21
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention, yes I had $544, $540, I will try to remove them to see if kombi error fixes
You have 540 and 544 in CAS and FRM??
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #22
Tomas321
Rep

Changed to old SZL, removed FA's Kombi now works, Programmed DSC, seems to be error free.

What coding does LDM module require?
And should I use ISTA P instead of NCS Expert?
Appreciate 0