E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Using S6FL USB/Audio Interface for Android retrofit on non idrive system?

12-26-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
Valnights
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i XDrive, 07 328xi

Question Using S6FL USB/Audio Interface for Android retrofit on non idrive system?

I'm finding it hard to find a straight answer anywhere so if this has been discussed somewhere please do let me know! I just bought a 2011 328i xdrive without the idrive system and am looking at doing one of those android headunit retrofits. However, as many people mention there is double loss in quality from both bluetooth to the unit followed by the connection to the armrest aux that most of them use. My car happens to have the S6FL USB/Audio Interface option which to my understanding is capable of handling audio/data, so in that case is there no way to bypass the aux and plug the unit straight into the usb? Is there a specific headunit that does this natively or any way to link the headunit digitally to the car? I'll be upgrading the hi-fi system soon too but I want to start with the base headunit upgrade and avoid as much audio loss on the way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help pointing me in the right direction!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Only mr12volt makes adapters that go through the Most Bus as
far as I know. They make a more advanced one now but it is
and add on for Idrive . they make a simple one for the Pro Radio
and it works on Idrive but doesn't have carplay and android auto .
See there website.

If you want quality audio the rule of thumb would be to stay away
from the Chinese Head Units.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
Valnights
Registered
Canada
Rep

Thank you for your reply. That makes sense, anything chinese on these cars is a disaster waiting to happen. I did notice some of the headunits you can install into your dash are LG panels so I had a bit more faith in them but the problem remained of reliability and sound deterioration. Also dread the slowdown most androids suffer from after a couple years and I intend to keep this car for a while. Been looking around and at some of your other comments on similar threads ctuna and realized I'm better off leaving the headunit alone and upgrading the sound system (amp and speakers on hifi). A lot of the hu upgrades look off in this car other than the cut into dash one (i know, personal preference is at play here) and it seems like some of speaker upgrades can have problems if you change/remove the professional HU that comes with the car. I would still love to find a hu upgrade to integrade apple carplay/nav and eq into this car natively and have it work with the speaker/amp upgrades since I don't have the iDrive system but if nothing really works natively well I can live without it.

Last edited by Valnights; 12-27-2022 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: found more information on the forums
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #4
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

The non I-Drive Chinese Android HUs don't use the Aux In port (unless for some reason you have a native Aux out source). They support bluetooth direct to your phone. They do have USB inputs as well - which can be either run to a convenient location or connected to your existing USB port (though some splicing may be involved for this. - I was going to do this on my car - but I only had Aux in the armrest and the USB replacement didn't physically fit. I replaced my ashtray cigarette lighter with a USB jack instead).

I'm happy with my sound quality. It goes to the Logic 7 amp via an RCA-to-Fiber converter.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 04:24 PM   #5
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'd also note that the Eonon unit that I have requires no dash cutting and looks quite OEM. The font on the buttons match the existing climate control panel as does the amber shade of the backlighting. I like having both Nav (using 'offline' Google Maps) as well as a backup camera in a car that came with neither. I had already upgraded the car have the BMW bluetooth system, but the new HU replaced that. Obviously I never would have gone with the BMW bluetooth if I knew these HUs would be available.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #6
Valnights
Registered
Canada
Rep

Hi Andy! Have you also upgraded your sound system? I have the 676 hifi and looking at changing my amp, woofs and speakers. Wondering if the eonon would work well with a different sound setup like the bavsound or the alpha one. Oh another thing, I did see the old Eonon had the buttons that matched. The new version is just one big screen which I suppose is nice but doesn't look oem at all imo
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 08:05 PM   #7
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't touched the sound system itself - but the two are really orthogonal in that the amp and and speakers could still be improved. Frankly I mostly listen to NPR, so not a big audiophile.

Yes, I have the old (9465, non-b) version with smaller screen, but real buttons (plus DVD, if you care). For me it was the preferred choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 08:23 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The BMW head unit's use a differential Output to feed the Hi Fi amp.
Essentially 5 volt speaker outs. No common ground .
Most aftermarket Head units use single sided RCA's but most aftermarket
amps accept that . Which have a common ground.
Appreciate 0