E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil pan gasket leak? Should i just sell the car?

09-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #23
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

At 90k miles, Make sure to replace your engine mounts while they do the oil pan. One side mount you will want to replace with the 335is mount. They are $90 each and come off as part of the work to get to the pan.
      09-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #24
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Gosh damn it! I read about it here and guess what my Indy told me Tuesday my pan is leaking pretty bad, and even worse he won't tackle the job. Said something about 16 hours on the e90 . Spotting on the garage floor, I had to put a qt in 2 weeks ago and now the light is coming and going.
Engine light was on too, turned out to be the gasket on the gas cap was failed as well. Only 110k on this, even though 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #25
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Gosh damn it! I read about it here and guess what my Indy told me Tuesday my pan is leaking pretty bad, and even worse he won't tackle the job. Said something about 16 hours on the e90 . Spotting on the garage floor, I had to put a qt in 2 weeks ago and now the light is coming and going.
Engine light was on too, turned out to be the gasket on the gas cap was failed as well. Only 110k on this, even though 10 years.
Are you an xi? If not I would find a new mechanic, as he is clearly incapable of working in these cars. I just had this repaired 2 weeks ago. Dropped the car off in the morning at 930am, my mechanic waited for it to cool off, and they finished by 930pm. That also included replacing tstat housing gasket and orings, new front O2 sensors, and cleaning the engine. Also new motor mounts.
      09-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #26
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
If you have it paid off, I would not sell it. Go to a good, local mechanic that specializes in European cars. It might be around $1200.00. The stealership would be the last place I would go.

Are you sure it's the oil pan gasket?

96k sounds a little young for an oil pan gasket. The rear main seal would more likely be your culprit and would mimic an oil pan gasket leak upon first site. Also the valve cover gasket leak can also mimic this, especially if it's leaking from the back side of the valve cover where you can't see it from the top side of the engine.

If your car had over 150 to 200k, I would be more likely to think it was a oil pan gasket.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #27
Squark
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

FWIW, my oil pan gasket was leaking at 110k miles. My dealer replaced it for $725, which was worth it to me since their work carries a 2 year warranty. I wouldn't want to redo that job anytime in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #28
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I have to correct that it wasn't the mechanic that said 16 hours, it was his sister working the front desk. So apparently he still doesn't want to tackle this job because it would tie up his shop for most of a day, but it wasn't him stating 16 hours.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #29
HerrGruyere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

I would just keep adding oil until it got out of hand. Oil pan is a pesky but common leak for any older car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #30
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Got another quote of 8 hours @ $80/hr. Waiting to figure out when I can turn the car over on a Saturday and get it done.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #31
erosenin
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
Are you stalking me, and pretending to be the owner of my car?

Sorry for the problems with your car. I literally signed on to start a thread about similar topic. I have a 2008 E92 with 94k miles on it. My car recently had a service check back in February, and the following items were recommended along with the pricing the dealer gave me:
-Valve Cover Gasket leak - $1120
-Oil Filter Housing Leak - $550
-Oil Pan Gasket Leak - $1230
-Control Arm Bushings - $805

I did none of the work at the time, as I have had no signs of oil on my driveway or low oil warnings. Just yesterday, during an hour and half drive near the end my car threw me a low oil warning light, I was a quart low. So in roughly 5 months I've burned a quart of oil. Not a big leak by any stretch, but it's now got me pondering the fixes. At the time, my dealer said the Oil Filter housing leak should be top priority because once it goes, its significant.

$1800 is too high for the oil pan gasket. Again, my dealer quoted me $1230 for whatever it's worth. I am debating dropping my car off and seeing if they'll give me some kind of discount if I Have all of the above work done.

It brings me to the same predicament we all likely go through, how much are we willing to pay for repairs in time, money and annoyance vs. the peace of mind of just ridding ourselves and getting a new car. I'm really struggling with this decision now because I love this car, I don't really love anything new out there right now and I think everything is overpriced. I'm debating anything from buying to leasing a new BMW, GMC Sierra Trucks and Ford F150's lol. I'm all over the map.

It's interesting to hear how others work through these decisions.
Having owned last 3 generations of 3 series coupes, i have learnt that knowing how to work on your car on maintenance goes a long way. The right tools, manual, forums, youtube and some comon sense with patience is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #32
LBIBMW
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Has anyone ever had to replace the oil stand gasket? I recently got a quote of 425 and thought it was reasonable.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #33
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIBMW View Post
Has anyone ever had to replace the oil stand gasket? I recently got a quote of 425 and thought it was reasonable.
Thanks
That's more often called the Oil Filter Housing Gasket...search around the forum, there's plenty of threads about it. 425 is a little high but not a terrible price.

It's also very easy to change yourself. If you're able to change your own oil and coolant, there's only 3 more bolts that need to be removed to change the gasket at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #34
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIBMW
Thanks
I almost forked over $600 to the dealer to replace the oil filter housing. It is literally three e10 screws you need to remove. Cost a total of $60 since I had to pick up the ratcheting socket amd some other tools. This is the video I used. This guy puts together terrific tutorials.
      10-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #35
LBIBMW
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Thanks looks doable.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #36
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
If you have it paid off, I would not sell it. Go to a good, local mechanic that specializes in European cars. It might be around $1200.00. The stealership would be the last place I would go.

96k sounds a little young for an oil pan gasket. The rear main seal would more likely be your culprit and would mimic an oil pan gasket leak upon first site. Also the valve cover gasket leak can also mimic this, especially if it's leaking from the back side of the valve cover where you can't see it from the top side of the engine.

If your car had over 150 to 200k, I would be more likely to think it was a oil pan gasket.
UPDATE: I found what looked to be my VCG leaking again, so i brought it in. Mind you, ive had the oil pan gasket, VCG, and trans selector seal replaced within the last three months.

They now tell me the rear main seal is bad!! WTF. Did they mis diagnose the first leak? Did they fix it improperly?

I dont know enough about the car to know FOR SURE, but this seems fishy as hell to me. The service rep told me when they fix the other gaskets it causes a leak somewhere else many times.

WTF wouldnt they fix all the gaskets when they had the car apart?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #37
apme123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000

sure sounds like they misdiagnosed it.
      10-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #38
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron
Quote:

UPDATE: I found what looked to be my VCG leaking again, so i brought it in. Mind you, ive had the oil pan gasket, VCG, and trans selector seal replaced within the last three months.

They now tell me the rear main seal is bad!! WTF. Did they mis diagnose the first leak? Did they fix it improperly?

I dont know enough about the car to know FOR SURE, but this seems fishy as hell to me. The service rep told me when they fix the other gaskets it causes a leak somewhere else many times.

WTF wouldnt they fix all the gaskets when they had the car apart?
Ya, sounds a little fishy.

Sucks, but looks like your gonna fork over 1200 more for a rear main seal.

Only positive outcome here is all the main oil leaks on the car will be good on the car for another 75 to 100k.

You just happened to have them all fixed in a short amount of time.

Did you take it to a stealership or a local mechanic that specializes in European autos?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #39
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ya, sounds a little fishy.

Sucks, but looks like your gonna fork over 1200 more for a rear main seal.

Only positive outcome here is all the main oil leaks on the car will be good on the car for another 75 to 100k.

You just happened to have them all fixed in a short amount of time.

Did you take it to a stealership or a local mechanic that specializes in European autos?
Stealership.

What would happen if i didnt fix a leaking rear main seal? Bad news?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #40
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Th stealership will be about $1500.00. An independent local shop that specializes in European autos would be your best bet; probably run you $1100 to 1200.00.

I don't think I would let a rear main seal leak for too long. Anytime oil leaks all over a hot engine, and in your case eventually the exhaust, it's probably not a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #41
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Th stealership will be about $1500.00. An independent local shop that specializes in European autos would be your best bet; probably run you $1100 to 1200.00.

I don't think I would let a rear main seal leak for too long. Anytime oil leaks all over a hot engine, and in your case eventually the exhaust, it's probably not a good thing.
Dealer quoted $1250 for the fix.

I dont know what to do, honestly. I just dumped nearly $3k for the VCG, oil pan gasket, trans selector seal. I put new tires/brakes/rotors on it in the past year, and have a second set of rims w/ snows on them.

How much more is gonna crap out on a car only worth ~$8k? I know the water-pump is gonna die at some point. The rear main seal is currently leaking. And the oil filter housing gasket needs to be changed soon (which i can do myself for cheap). Im worried about all the other stuff that *could* go wrong on top of what i know will go wrong.

Any advice?

Im seriously contemplating selling at this point....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #42
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I think when I have mine done, since they are already in there, to get the rear main done as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #43
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron
Quote:

Dealer quoted $1250 for the fix.

I dont know what to do, honestly. I just dumped nearly $3k for the VCG, oil pan gasket, trans selector seal. I put new tires/brakes/rotors on it in the past year, and have a second set of rims w/ snows on them.

How much more is gonna crap out on a car only worth ~$8k? I know the water-pump is gonna die at some point. The rear main seal is currently leaking. And the oil filter housing gasket needs to be changed soon (which i can do myself for cheap). Im worried about all the other stuff that *could* go wrong on top of what i know will go wrong.

Any advice?

Im seriously contemplating selling at this point....
Fix the rear main seal.

Save yourself 250.00 by taking it to a reputable, local European auto mechanic/ shop.

Oil filter housing gasket is easy; consider doing an old fashion wire brush (gun cleaning kit) intake valve cleaning while you have the intake valve cover off. Gaskets for the oil housing filter, intake valve gaskets & throttle body will run you under $100.00.

Start saving $50.00 a month for the water pump and thermostat. You can do this on your own; parts will run you $500.00.

Your just at a junction where a lot of things that can go wrong did. However, once fixed the car should be good for another 75 to 100k

I don't know your mileage and what else you have fixed, but it sounds like once you get past this wave, you should be on easy street for a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #44
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Fix the rear main seal.

Save yourself 250.00 by taking it to a reputable, local European auto mechanic/ shop.

Oil filter housing gasket is easy; consider doing an old fashion wire brush (gun cleaning kit) intake valve cleaning while you have the intake valve cover off. Gaskets for the oil housing filter, intake valve gaskets & throttle body will run you under $100.00.

Start saving $50.00 a month for the water pump and thermostat. You can do this on your own; parts will run you $500.00.

Your just at a junction where a lot of things that can go wrong did. However, once fixed the car should be good for another 75 to 100k

I don't know your mileage and what else you have fixed, but it sounds like once you get past this wave, you should be on easy street for a while.
Thanks for the input. I heard back from the dealer yesterday with some good news.....it was the oil filter housing gasket that was leaking and the drip made it look like it was from under the car. I thought it looked like the VCG they replaced was the culprit, but they insist it is the OFHG that is dripping....i will need to look further into this when i get the car home.

I plan to fix the OFHG this weekend myself.

I did fix quite a few things already.... plugs/coils/brakes/rotors/VCG/oil pan gasket/trans selector seal/tires/fluids........and soon the OFHG.

The water-pump is a "for sure" to crap out at some point. I guess i need to save up for the rear main seal as well. But then the motor mounts, suspension, and God knows what else could crap out too...

Maybe i should bite the bullet and keep driving it. The whole reason i bought the 328 instead of the 335 was because i thought the longevity would be better and the maintenance would be less......

Its just tough to keep dumping $$$$ into a car that isnt worth much
Appreciate 0