E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Both Adaptive Lights busted no error code

09-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
intermediatic
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2011 LeMansBlue M Sport

Both Adaptive Lights busted no error code

I’ve done a search here and elsewhere on the Internet and just don’t know what my problem is. Both of my adaptive headlights option S524A on my 2011 E90 point about 5’ in front of my car making night driving dangerous. I’ve tried adjusting them with the leveling screw and that helped a tiny bit but that was it. In the right light, the hood on the light has popped off and is now resting on it, making matters worse. My sense is that pothole impacts here in New Jersey have broken things badly. My indie German car mechanic says that he doesn’t know what to do but that adjustment was definitely not working.

The dreaded adaptive headlight failure light has not, however, appeared on the dash.

What should I do? I dread the dealers around me due to past experience. Given the difficult of taking apart the right headlight, I figure I have to replace it. Is this a case of the headlights being damaged and straight down as a “safety feature?” Should I just order two new ones off of eBay?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
alexg
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

The problem is mechanical, not electrical, thus no error code. The driver mechanism becomes dislodged from the headlamp plastic shell and points somewhere. I happened in mine. Took the lamp out, played with the driver, reinstalled, fixed.

Search for post about adaptive light and you'll find the cure.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Check this thread out...
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ight=headlight

My leveling arm has popped out numerous times were as I can now just open the inspection cover of the headlight and pop it back in...If you cant manage that then removing the whole headlight and looking at it may be your best route
      10-31-2018, 06:13 AM   #4
intermediatic
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2011 LeMansBlue M Sport

Bought two new headlights, had the old ones saved for me by my indie shop. Yup, the old ones make rattling noises when you shake em and little pieces of plastic float around in there. Don’t think it was as simple as that other thread suggested. Back in the day it cost us $20 to pull two headlights off old Volvos at the junk yard. Now it’s $2,200 for two headlights plus the labor to pull off the bumper to install them. Progress!
Appreciate 0