E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > How To - Replace 330d Air Filter

07-16-2018, 04:37 AM   #89
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
your missing the point"filtering" foam are just not good at it,,i can put up a wrute up of what both filters can do and achieve,,if your car had black smoke then there was something wrong with it,,maybe a dodgy maf sensor or slight boost leak..
I'm sure the paper is better at finer particles but is also more restrictive. Car was fine no leaks and new MAF. When we remapped it to the need for the less restrivitce filter was even more obvious even with what was a very consertive map
      07-16-2018, 05:54 AM   #90
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Well, I guess it is a balance:

Foam i.e. Pipercross = better airflow but not as good filtration
Paper i.e. OEM = better filtration but not as good airflow

With this in mind, I am a firm believer that BMW would have optimised the airflow vs. filtration balance however, that would be for a stock engine and not taking into account modifications...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #91
jonobradley
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d SE

Quote:
your missing the point"filtering" foam are just not good at it,,i can put up a write up of what both filters can do and achieve,,if your car had black smoke then there was something wrong with it,,maybe a dodgy maf sensor or slight boost leak..
Fully agree rasa bmw (high there from sunny Northumberland by the way ), the Pipercross / foam filters only flow more by filtering less. To aid filtration Pipercross advise lightly oiling the filters, which I did prior to fitting.

Must admit Ive always upgraded my previous cars filters to K&N or Pipercross and never had an issues, maybe I should keep my cars for longer lol!

Not sure if its psychological or not, but my car now feels pretty damn good after the filter change and a remap from RJM Remapping: 275bhp and 600nm torque (previously 231 & 500).

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #92
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobradley View Post
Fully agree rasa bmw (high there from sunny Northumberland by the way ), the Pipercross / foam filters only flow more by filtering less. To aid filtration Pipercross advise lightly oiling the filters, which I did prior to fitting.

Must admit Ive always upgraded my previous cars filters to K&N or Pipercross and never had an issues, maybe I should keep my cars for longer lol!

Not sure if its psychological or not, but my car now feels pretty damn good after the filter change and a remap from RJM Remapping: 275bhp and 600nm torque (previously 231 & 500).

just in morpeth eh ?,,thats pretty conservative map..ive 698 nm and 305 bhp..manual box..onthe edge of being too much torque but drive accordingly.. great cars the 330d cars,,ive also got an e46 330d 270 bhp 510 nm of torque
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #93
jonobradley
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d SE

Quote:
just in morpeth eh ?,,thats pretty conservative map..ive 698 nm and 305 bhp..manual box..onthe edge of being too much torque but drive accordingly.. great cars the 330d cars,,ive also got an e46 330d 270 bhp 510 nm of torque
Yeah sunny Peth haha. Where are you bud?

To be honest its my first ever remap (auto box by the way) and thought I would give it a shot by RJM remaps as I heard a few good things from them by some of my mates.

Just had x6 new glow plugs, glow plug control unit and swirl flaps removed/blocked today and all seems good. (remap showed that I needed x4 glowplugs and a control unit so did what was recommended by S&C Motorworks in Shiremoor who are good value Beema independants.

I do have a subtle "thumping noise" on cold start tickover which is supposedly the EGR pressure valve, but will get that sorted at next service.

All in all very happy with my old second car as the bodywork is pretty damn immaculate and have FSH 76k miles....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #94
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobradley View Post
Yeah sunny Peth haha. Where are you bud?

To be honest its my first ever remap (auto box by the way) and thought I would give it a shot by RJM remaps as I heard a few good things from them by some of my mates.

Just had x6 new glow plugs, glow plug control unit and swirl flaps removed/blocked today and all seems good. (remap showed that I needed x4 glowplugs and a control unit so did what was recommended by S&C Motorworks in Shiremoor who are good value Beema independants.

I do have a subtle "thumping noise" on cold start tickover which is supposedly the EGR pressure valve, but will get that sorted at next service.

All in all very happy with my old second car as the bodywork is pretty damn immaculate and have FSH 76k miles....
newbiggin by the sea...and never heard of them companies you mention...and never heard of a thumping from egr valve,,ive had mine deleted via the map,,and yes auto box? that can handle more torque than the manual box,,also it will need a service soon,,gearbox oil/sump filter and mech sleeve,,suppose to be a lifetime fill,but its a now service item,,kit is around £200 and the same for labour..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #95
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

The egr pressure converter thats is mounted on the block underneath the inlet manifold has a characteristic thumping noise when its fooked. Sounds like bass from the underseat subs. It will then begin quacking like a duck. About £50 for new pierburg one but the inlet manifold has to come off to get to the little fooker.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #96
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Just done the air filter on mine for the first time in my ownership. It had a pipercross in and was FILTHY. On top of that it was caved in as if someone had squeezed it too hard to try and force it out!! Also the rubber was all perished so God knows how long it's been in there. Changed it for just standard OEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #97
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Just done the air filter on mine for the first time in my ownership. It had a pipercross in and was FILTHY. On top of that it was caved in as if someone had squeezed it too hard to try and force it out!! Also the rubber was all perished so God knows how long it's been in there. Changed it for just standard OEM.
yup,,i hate doing my ait filter,,the hasle is unbelievable,,i suppose id get \way with doing it every 2 years as i only do 7 k miles,,,,at least my new car(335d se coupe) is easier,,bought it yesterday,,selling my e46,,still keeping my e90 330d
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #98
Rob330d
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Replaced air filter...crank case breather check?

Hi,
First post here.
Found this excellent step by step AFTER I had replaced the air filter on my e92 330d. Had an e46 320d and learned the hard way that this really is a lengthy knuckle scraping process. Totally agree with others that BMW have made this a needlessly complicated task. Why is access to the filter so poorly thought through.

Rant over...
Whilst I had the covers off I thought I’d also inspect the crank case / turbo breather to establish if it had a filter which may need changing or cleaning.

My previous e46 320d had a small round filter which was totally clogged. Replaced this with the maintenance free vortex upgrade for peace of mind.

The crank case breather on my e92 330d appears to also be the vortex type.

I just gave the inside a wipe and re fitted

Anybody got any thoughts or info on these breathers? Are they pretty much maintenance free.
Please note I will not be chuffed to learn I’ve missed something!

Only those who have changed one of these air filters will understand
Cheers for any comments
Rob
Appreciate 0