E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best balance of protection with minimal white residue...

06-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Best balance of protection with minimal white residue...

So it’s been quite a while since I paid attention to car finish protection technology...most of the cars I have I’m not really looking for the best looking finish...I’m waxing to protect the finish from bugs and chips mainly.

Well I’m lookong for something that gives a good balance of protection and shine and hopefully mimimal white residue. My car had a lot of road rash chips on the bumper that I’ve fixed with Dr. ColorChip, and while the chips look good from a few feet away they aren’t even with the undamaged finish. So I’m trying to find a wax that will protect the finish but not leave white residue in the repaired chips...

Alternatively I suppose I could spend time with a toothbrush cleaning out the chips after I wax the car...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
do two steps paint correction and then protect paint, glass, wheels with ceramic coating. by the way wax doesn't protect car from rock chips

here is my thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388355
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Thankfully the days where paint protection stained plastic trim are long gone. There are plenty of very easy to use waxes and sealants that will not stain or harm plastic trim.

Some of my favorites would be:
Power Lock Polymer Sealant
Gyeon Cure
Meguiar's Synthetic Spray Wax

As previously mentioned, there is no wax, sealant, or coating on the market that will prevent rock chips. The purpose of these types of products is to temporarily protect your finish from environmental contaminants. If you want impact protection you should look into clear bra (aka paint protection film) such as Xpel, Suntek, Stek, or another reputable brand.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Zach McGovern
Former Professional Detailer
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Appreciate 0