E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DEPO projector90 upgrade DIY - work in progress

11-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #265
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Auto View Post
Anyone who had a solution on the low highbeams?
I don't use it much, so I will deal with it when needed. I beleive there is a bracket inside of the lights which adjust the position of the high side. But I'm not very sure about it, I just looked it when I had the cover off. So far it works and I will have to get in the mood again. But if someone has the solution I will follow. I'd love to see some desigh or something from depo manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #266
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

My only issue is that my right (always the right) HID goes out until my error pops up in the comp which takes two or three minutes to occur. It's very annoying, but I'm told error cancellors fix this?? I need a fix pretty quick lol, I looked like an idiot with my hood popped trying to fix the light (I thought perhaps it had come unplugged.) when an E39 owner pulled up and asked if i needed help haha.

Other than that I love them, I've gotten a billion compliments and a porsche owner asked if halo's were available for his car ( a very hot cherry red Cayman S. Mmmm..) but tough for him, only BMWs!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #267
M-Auto
Rep
Drives: 325i E90 Euro

OdomPHD, how about your highbeams, are they as high as they should?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #268
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
My only issue is that my right (always the right) HID goes out until my error pops up in the comp which takes two or three minutes to occur. It's very annoying, but I'm told error cancellors fix this?? I need a fix pretty quick lol, I looked like an idiot with my hood popped trying to fix the light (I thought perhaps it had come unplugged.) when an E39 owner pulled up and asked if i needed help haha.

Other than that I love them, I've gotten a billion compliments and a porsche owner asked if halo's were available for his car ( a very hot cherry red Cayman S. Mmmm..) but tough for him, only BMWs!!
So after few minutes your right HID will kick in and throws error? And you run with no cancellers? I wonder what would happen if I'd bypass the cancellers.... My main issue is sometimes with the lights on position it throws error and right turn signal malfunction. Then it goes back to normal, after few minutes. It is unpredictable and I hope it is the lightbulb connection. I'm buying house right now so I don't want to play with it but as soon as I will have a garage I will jump on it.
You're right, the lights are nice. Another problem will be high beam adjustment if possible. In my oppinion the lights are good but they need finetuning which should be done by manufacturer, unfortunately they either don't care or for them it is "good enough". That always scares me when dealing with products made in China, Taiwan and other simillar countries.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #269
M-Auto
Rep

Well, it could be that the low beam are to high, but as far as I can se there is not any way to adjust the difference between high and low beam.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #270
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Auto View Post
Well, it could be that the low beam are to high, but as far as I can se there is not any way to adjust the difference between high and low beam.
There is a lever you can switch up or down. I've been told (no instructions included) that is for driver on the left/right side. I've been told not to move it since it was adjusted for USA. But after my experience with assembly of those lights..... I'd like to have one out to play with. That would help. Too bad I didn't take more pictures from inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #271
M-Auto
Rep

Yes, I think experiment with the lever is the only way to do any adjustment.
My headlights are not longer mounted becase of this (put back the OEM headlights) and I'm going to experiment with this to see if I can figure out how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #272
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Well, I was going to do the same because on the nice car the lights should work proper way. I hope you will post some pictures and findings which will help the rest of us. Thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #273
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Just clarifying a few things. I've got an 07 e90 (build 2/07) with DEPO and LED AE (the 4 bulb ones, not the 60 led). I've also got some error cancellors off ebay. What, if any, issues will I have? Will the cancellors get rid of flickering? What errors will I have? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #274
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
Just clarifying a few things. I've got an 07 e90 (build 2/07) with DEPO and LED AE (the 4 bulb ones, not the 60 led). I've also got some error cancellors off ebay. What, if any, issues will I have? Will the cancellors get rid of flickering? What errors will I have? Thanks!
Well, reading the responses of the other users the lights do different things to different models. I have 07 e90 build on 05/07. Depo, 60LED's per ring. Cancellers from e-bay.Lightswitch off- error on tusn lights. Auto- error. Parking- no error, only AE's on, but it stays on all the time even when you lock and walk away. Switch all the way right- AE's and HID on , goes off when you lock up. When you unlock it gives you nice welcoming AE's, I wish I could make it like this as DLR. DLR- ugly little parking lights on.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #275
M-Auto
Rep

I'm from Sweden and there may be some misunderstanding because of the spelling and gramathics...

The lever doesn't have any adjustment, but maybe this could work to adjust the high beam, I've not manage to send pictures but I'm trying to explain it in words...

There's no way to make this when the headlights are fitted.

I've figured this out:
If we take the right headlight as an example:
If you look at the low beam reflector from behind of the headlight, you'll find three 7mm nut that hold the low beam reflector in place. Two of them are hanged up with rubber and would be able to be adjusted.
From behind it's the one on top to the right and the only bottom nut (to the left), the top nut to the left is solid screw to the plastic AE/frame.
As far as I can see this is the only way to adjust the low beam reflector:
Loose the solid nut a little bit (upper left) and the lower left a bit, then tighten the upper right as much as you loosen the lower left.
Continue with the lower left and the upper right (in that order) until the right level is reached.

More to come...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #276
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterba View Post
Well, reading the responses of the other users the lights do different things to different models. I have 07 e90 build on 05/07. Depo, 60LED's per ring. Cancellers from e-bay.Lightswitch off- error on tusn lights. Auto- error. Parking- no error, only AE's on, but it stays on all the time even when you lock and walk away. Switch all the way right- AE's and HID on , goes off when you lock up. When you unlock it gives you nice welcoming AE's, I wish I could make it like this as DLR. DLR- ugly little parking lights on.
And mine is a 06 e90 build on 05/05 (or 06/05 dont remember) DEPO, 4 LED AE. Canceler from Jlevisw. And so far.. Lightswitch on AUTO - Error. OFF - no error. PARKING - right/left parking error. ON - error for Left/Right low beam and parking light. But the low beam error goes away after awhile. And I get an error saying parking light malfunction everytime I start the car. One more thing is the left side low beam will not work properly when outside temperature is too low (around below 40F) It will turn on normally, but after couple mins its gone.. But if I keep the high beam on at the same time then the left low beam will stay working or working for a longer time.. (and I have no f-ing idea what caused that =.=)

As for the high beam aiming too low.. I just put in 3000k bulb and use it as fog lights... it works and so far no complain about its blinding on coming traffic ( around where I live ppl always flash you when they think your lights blinding them...)

2004 Mazda Speed Miata... Bone Stock...
2000 Ford Explorer... Beater all the way
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #277
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuchao1 View Post
And mine is a 06 e90 build on 05/05 (or 06/05 dont remember) DEPO, 4 LED AE. Canceler from Jlevisw. And so far.. Lightswitch on AUTO - Error. OFF - no error. PARKING - right/left parking error. ON - error for Left/Right low beam and parking light. But the low beam error goes away after awhile. And I get an error saying parking light malfunction everytime I start the car. One more thing is the left side low beam will not work properly when outside temperature is too low (around below 40F) It will turn on normally, but after couple mins its gone.. But if I keep the high beam on at the same time then the left low beam will stay working or working for a longer time.. (and I have no f-ing idea what caused that =.=)

As for the high beam aiming too low.. I just put in 3000k bulb and use it as fog lights... it works and so far no complain about its blinding on coming traffic ( around where I live ppl always flash you when they think your lights blinding them...)
Haha. I was gonna make a comments about :"no complains", remember, we drive BMW's. But we will see. I still think the solution is the correct canceller, I mean value of the capacitor. I guess when you see the plug of the head lights it has many more connections than one common and one for high beam, one for AE's, one for parking and one for HID. The capacitor is hooked up between ballast and HID so it might fool the OBC to think it is halogen based on resistance. But AE's are different story, it goes in without cancellers and there is a glitch. With 4 AE's I can see the way to stimulate same feedback for OBC like parking lights, not with 60 LED's. I will try to discuss it with our el. eng. group on the company time (we had spent too much money on this anyway) and ask them about their opinion. The main thing is when you turn the key on the OBC must think everything is ok. Nobody fuc*ed with the lights. This is where we have to start. I will not rest untill this will be up to my satisfaction, even if it will cost more than OEM AE's. (Just kidding, we will make it work).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #278
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi Jet Black/Black

received my lights today. the build quality is amazing. so when i got them i decided to do a mockup and plug them in to see what errors and problems i may run into.

i have
-the depos with the 60 LED AEs
-error canceler from jelvis

my problems
1. when turing on the HID low beams they work fine for the first minute then they shut of not matter what position the switch is in

2. when turing on the turn signals the dash blinks really fast but the headlight's turn signals will not blink

i have tried with and with out the cancelers nothing seems to work

please help me
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #279
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Both of them shut off when engine runs? What about high beams? Does it do the same if engine running or not? I assume you have checked the turn signal light bulbs. What kind of error message you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #280
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

they shut off only when i run the engine

high beams work all the time

i believe the turn signals are just not snapping into place

i have errors for parking lights turn signals and low beams
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #281
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep

Yea the turn signals just need to be snap into position..
And for the low beam.. that only happen to my left low beam.. and only when outside temp is low.. (below 40F)

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #282
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep

Does anyone know if the ballasts are complete weather proof? I jut noticed that the shop I went to get the lights fitted put the ballasts right behind the lower grill... so its basically exposed to all those water/snow/...
And...anyone have any idea about why my light goes out when the temperature is too low??
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #283
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuchao1 View Post
Does anyone know if the ballasts are complete weather proof? I jut noticed that the shop I went to get the lights fitted put the ballasts right behind the lower grill... so its basically exposed to all those water/snow/...
And...anyone have any idea about why my light goes out when the temperature is too low??
Thanks!

they are rated for -40
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #284
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

what cancelers is every one using because i don't think my cancelers are doing any thing and that is why my lights will shut off after 3mins with the engine running

also i had no luck getting the turn signals to snap in. any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #285
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetlyon View Post
what cancelers is every one using because i don't think my cancelers are doing any thing and that is why my lights will shut off after 3mins with the engine running

also i had no luck getting the turn signals to snap in. any other ideas?
I didn't have this kind of problems. My cancelers are from e-bay, but you can experiment with capacitors, that is what the cancellers are made of. Just sealed capacitor with cables. Search it on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #286
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know what cancelors are i just dont want to have to soder in different capacitors over and over again.

I ordered the ones that u posted a few pages back about. I hope they do the trick.
Appreciate 0