E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What's up with "PM me for price" in Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted Forum?

07-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #23
flyboy66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

aye!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #24
SmashD
Life's a pitch and then you buy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36

New buzz word: POF (pawf) - Price or fail. A term used to encourage a seller to post an actual sales price before the thread fails miserably due to lack of interest.
Land Rover Discovery
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #25
phistyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e92 335i

well the thing the irks me the most is all these vendors saying they got the "best" and "lowest" price and then you get a PM and the price is like bleh! and I'm thinking in my head... you call that a low price? O_o
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #26
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

A lot of sellers (pick a forum, any forum) aren't very good at it. I'm in the market for a new (used) car right now. I've been scouring the many threads here and there. There are some pretty pathetic for-sale threads out there.

When I see someone stick a dollar symbol at the end of the number, I cringe. 30K$ = fail.

Additionally, if you can't post pictures or provide the VIN in the body of your ad, you suck. And if you do post pictures, you might want to make sure the pictures aren't out of focus. Sellers: it's already tough enough for you to sell cars in the market; don't compound it by presenting your car in the worst light possible.

Also, if your car has been involved in an accident, disclose it. If I find the accident on my own (using Carfax or AutoCheck), I'm likely to wonder what else you're hiding.

There is a reason that some cars -- in addition to being priced improperly -- sit for sale for months on end.

Last edited by Marcus-SanDiego; 07-21-2010 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #27
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phistyle View Post
well the thing the irks me the most is all these vendors saying they got the "best" and "lowest" price and then you get a PM and the price is like bleh! and I'm thinking in my head... you call that a low price? O_o
A lot of the time vendors have an agreement with the manufacturers to sell at a certain "lowest" price. This happens a lot on eBay. This way the manufacturers are able to supply to many sellers without one guy ruining it for the rest by selling them for $1 over cost (lets say he lives at home and sells out of his mom's basement and has no overhead costs... $1/ea. profit is great if you have no overhead costs and can sell mass quantities but it pushes everyone else out of the selling arena).

Vendors will then post things like "PM for the lowest price anywhere!" They can get around their agreement with the manufacturer and sell lower than that price as long as it's not advertised publicly.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #28
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

want to know my opinions?

PM me.......
      07-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #29
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
want to know my opinions?

PM me.......
      07-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #30
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Fuck that!

vwvortex.com is currently the largest online community of car enthusiasts dedicated to a single brand. Last time I checked they had over 300,000 users worldwide. Vortex Media Group currently owns and manages seveal other car forums like that including mwerks.com which is another BMW forum. The total user base easily approaches 1M users worldwide.

Not a single vendor in those forums even dream about creating a sales thread without properly listing sales prices for their items. They get severe penalties and the moderators there are quick to ban offenders. Not a single vendor is willing to risk their status when you have such a large customer base of enthusiasts, not just car owners, but enthusiasts.

When I jined bimmerpost.com last year I was pretty shocked how a large portion of the vendors here are not posting their prices. This has to end, and it has to end soon!

I openly invite all of you to not purchase any products from any vendor, regardless of who they are unless the prices are listed in their sales thread.
      07-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #31
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Not a single vendor in those forums even dream about creating a sales thread without properly listing sales prices for their items. They get severe penalties and the moderators there are quick to ban offenders. Not a single vendor is willing to risk their status when you have such a large customer base of enthusiasts, not just car owners, but enthusiasts.
That's unfortunate for their user base if they are vendors for large companies like HKS, Autometer, etc. Like I said, they sign non-compete agreements in order to become a distributor. If they publish a price lower than their non-compete agreement on those forums, they will lose their distributor status.

So basically, "PM for the best price" is code for, "I know I can't publish these prices, but since you guys are my 'community' or my 'peers' I'll cut you a bigger discount, I just can't do it publicly."

It's a catch 22. It's annoying for some things, and necessary for others.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #32
NaNo_F1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 328i

Yes! Completely agree, and, to all the people that want to post their gay "feeler" posts, mods should create a feeler section so I don't have to waste my time.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #33
phistyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post
That's unfortunate for their user base if they are vendors for large companies like HKS, Autometer, etc. Like I said, they sign non-compete agreements in order to become a distributor. If they publish a price lower than their non-compete agreement on those forums, they will lose their distributor status.

So basically, "PM for the best price" is code for, "I know I can't publish these prices, but since you guys are my 'community' or my 'peers' I'll cut you a bigger discount, I just can't do it publicly."

It's a catch 22. It's annoying for some things, and necessary for others.
that so-called "I can't publish these prices since the price is so low" is a bunch of bull imho... it's more of a bait...

let say we have 2 vendors selling an aero lip and one has a slightly lower price...some may buy from that vendor and some may spend just a bit more for that extra "service or reputation ...nothing wrong with that at all but the prices are known so the customers can choose based on how comfortable they feel towards a vendor. sure that vendor may be selling the lip lower but other vendors may sell lets say painted grills lower instead.

It's just like retail stores. Most of the time prices are similar across the board, but people may choose to buy at a specific place due to price, customer service, convenience, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:37 AM   #34
NaTuReB0Y