E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Thinking of buying modified 335i inc turbos

11-18-2019, 02:57 AM   #1
MrForgetful
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Thinking of buying modified 335i inc turbos

Hi guys, I used to own a 135i back in the day with tune/dps/meth.

It's been a while out of BMW but I'm considering buying a friends 335i which has Cobb, FBO and upgraded turbos. My question is, the car was modded a while ago while there wasn't as much on the market and I've been out of the game for so long I'm unsure if I should buy it.

Notable differences between the e90 and the e82. The gearbox seems a lot slower, is this normal?

What would be the next logical mod to the car, inlets? LPFP? It doesn't have intake, or even a chargepipe (has DV's). Should I even bother going any further modding if I get it?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:28 AM   #2
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Wow, that's a very open ended question, I'd say buy it, change the turbo's and while you're at it put fully forged internals in it

Sorry bit of joke given my current changes, but seriously, if it's a friends car, you need to ask yourself
- Is it well maintained ?
- Does he treat it OK or constantly beat on it?

If you think he maintains it, and doesn't thrash it, then why not, noting that the upgraded turbo's have a life span and may need replacing at some stage, but also may be fine for some time depending on several factors

In terms of modding, it always depends on what you're looking for, let us know that and you'll get some good info from the group that's on here
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:36 AM   #3
MrForgetful
Rep

Thanks Hoper, I know him very well, car has not been used much, especially in the last couple years. His wife used it mainly.

In terms of modding, I don't want to go all out, just trying to see if there's any simple things to do because I always assumed getting bigger turbos was one of the last things to do, and with the other mods, was there any point in getting turbos?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:00 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForgetful View Post
Thanks Hoper, I know him very well, car has not been used much, especially in the last couple years. His wife used it mainly.

In terms of modding, I don't want to go all out, just trying to see if there's any simple things to do because I always assumed getting bigger turbos was one of the last things to do, and with the other mods, was there any point in getting turbos?
The decision to buy boils down to price, mileage and condition. 335i below 2010 go for below $20K. Without details it’s hard to say whether it’s worth buying or not. Also need to put at least $2K to $5K aside for maintenance regardless of if you think it’s needed or not

Re modding if the car is FBO already then most of the basics have been done. Replace the Cobb with MHD app and ots stage 2 tune and you should be good
Inlets, bigger lpfp etc won’t net you big increases. Trust me I’ve done em all
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
MrForgetful
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
The decision to buy boils down to price, mileage and condition. 335i below 2010 go for below $20K. Without details it’s hard to say whether it’s worth buying or not. Also need to put at least $2K to $5K aside for maintenance regardless of if you think it’s needed or not

Re modding if the car is FBO already then most of the basics have been done. Replace the Cobb with MHD app and ots stage 2 tune and you should be good
Inlets, bigger lpfp etc won’t net you big increases. Trust me I’ve done em all
He's only wanting $11k for it, so I think I'm going to do it. It's in good condition, isn't high mileage.

Will the MHD improve it that much? I guess no harm in trying seeing as it's quite cheap!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForgetful View Post
He's only wanting $11k for it, so I think I'm going to do it. It's in good condition, isn't high mileage.

Will the MHD improve it that much? I guess no harm in trying seeing as it's quite cheap!
MHD is probably best bang for buck mod out there in terms of Kw per $ spent no doubt.
Appreciate 0