E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DIY/ Aftermarket options of making your BMW secure

09-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Post DIY/ Aftermarket options of making your BMW secure

Hi All,
Most people on this forum are looking for certain ways of making their BMW theft proof or relatively secure to avoid OBD theft. I have been reading few threads and trying to improve my knowledge on BMW security system. After reading some stuff, I finally thought to share ‘ways of improving security’ of your BMW.

The purpose of this thread to cover most of the options available to us, all in one place. I have tried to cover most of the options available in the market. Some of these method are DIY and some not depending on your abilities, so please do it on your own risk considering your 'abilities'.

I am going to mention few options

1- Disable your OBD port if you know what you are doing.
or
Move your OBD port.

DIY Thread
(Credit to Nik.H)

You can buy 1.5 meters, 3 meters and 10 meters extension cables.

I personally went for 1.5 meter extension cable and it is good enough to extend your OBD port near to central ultrasonic sensors.

Some people like the idea of adding dummy obd port.
The part number for that is 6113 6931 908. Please check it with your dealer to confirm if this part number can go into your car.

(Credit goes to Fulcrum for providing part number)

2- Buy OBD lock (credit to Phil200tdi)
Link

3- Buy decals / stickers of disabled OBD port if you have done step 1
Example here:

I have ordered few on a pilot basis and hopefully I will get those next week. My aim to help our community members and not to make any profit on these. My target is to post three stickers for a fiver and I am hopeful that I will hit that target. I will start new thread on stickers when I receive those and add a link here to that thread.

UPDATE: OBD port stickers are printed. Please see details here.

4- Buy dislock

I am not a big fan of these but if it makes your beamer safe, by all means go for one. At least it will prevent the Airbag theft.

5- Add a Shock sensor to security system of your BMW

A good example is 504D

Here are instructions to install one.

(Credit goes to two,_OH_five )

Edit: Here is updated version. (no splicing of OEM wires.)

(Credit goes to Shortie)

6- Add Proximity sensor to your OEM security system
A good exmaple is 508D.

(Again credit goes to two,_OH_five )

7- Change your siren to one with higher sound output i.e 120db one.

A very good and compact example.

You can find it here how to install it in your car.

8- Get your car coded to have followings;

-Code Chirp sound on locking / unlocking
-Code Visual sign (indicator bulbs blink one time) when you lock your car (not a default setting on most of BMWs).

These two help to make sure that you locked your car. If somebody has a signal jammer and if you do not hear locking chrip sound or indicators flashing, that means somebody is in the vicinity. Just double check manually in that case if you really have locked your car.

-Code to increase volume of your OEM security Alarm (if you cannot do step 6 of this thread).
-Code High beam flashing with your security alarm (It helps those who park their cars facing windows of their homes/ bungalows and if alarm get triggered, it will flash high beams in the direction of your windows)

You can find coders in your region from this thread.

9- Add a switch to cut power supply to coilpack.

Details

(Credit goes to Idnan )

10- Add Tracking system to your car.

Here is one example:

If you are not a good DIYer, then simply buy this kit from UK and everything is prepared for you (excluding sim but please confirm with the seller)

Edit: They have confirmed that this system comes with vodafone pre-paid sim.

If you are good with DIY stuff, then buy the same tracker system from here.

(Credit goes to QLD).

P.S: These systems can take only 2-2.5G sim cards which means 3 network sims will not work with these.

11- VIPER Security Alarm
Ultimately, if you have plenty of money and you can afford Viper security system, then go for this Group buy.

(Credit goes to Shortie and IanS100)

12- None of the above
If at the end nothing fancy you, then Siren_G has few other suggestions for you here.

You may not require all of them but you may need combination of some of these.

If I have missed any other solution or credit to somebody, please feel free to add it in this thread and I will update it.

Thanks and all the best.

Last edited by makkan00; 01-12-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Reserved To Add Additional Information.
      09-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

A great thread with loads of great info.

Many thanks for listing all the options. Will defo take some stickers off you
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
ctch22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

kudos for the post sam!

Just had a look at number 8 youtube vid and seem like a pretty straight forward way of tracking...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

You're a legend mate! Thanks for this!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Shock sensor is probably a waste of time - this post from the guy who originally fitted it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
Yeah, you probably have your shock sensor too high. I've kinda gotten to the point where I think the shock sensor is only really good for hit and run scenarios, because the settings don't adapt to your environment. The shock sensor would be great if you park only in garages or off mai roads, but if you park somewhere where a lot of cars will come by you'll get false alarms. That or you have to adjust your shock sensor to the point where it won't pick up any tampering you'd want it to.

Anyways, with the on/off setup i just leave it off most of the time.
OBD relocation for me when I next get a day off, and decals. Not keen on the ones pictured though, I'm sure I saw a better design somewhere else on the forum recently. Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblanche View Post
Thanks for the thread though, Sam. Good to have all the links arranged together on one place

Last edited by parapaul; 09-08-2012 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Excellent write up makkan00, this info should be in a Sticky
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Not keen on the ones pictured though, I'm sure I saw a better design somewhere else on the forum recently. Edit:

Thanks for the thread though, Sam. Good to have all the links arranged together on one place
You are welcome mate.

I liked those stickers which you posted. I have also considered those before placing an order. Decent enough, however they were small for the purpose.

Just a food for thought.
Sticker is something which should pass the message and should be big enough so that people can read it from some some distance.
I want something bit bigger which stops those gangs from a distance. If there is small sticker on your car, and if they could not read it from a distance, then change is their plan would be lastminute.com when they would be on the case of your car.
Not ideal!

But thanks for adding additional link and appreciating the time I have taken to put all this together.
      09-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Excellent write up makkan00, this info should be in a Sticky

Thanks Ians100.

If this thread helps any of you, then kindly rate it 5 star please.
So I can request mods to make it sticky.
      09-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
sa12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive Msport

Excellent thread makkan00.

Your efforts are much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

makkan the MAN
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Great thread mate Credit goes to you

I have been thinking lately about strengths and weaknesses of all the options available and even though i have the shock sensor installed, after watching a few CCTV captured attacks, some go with the grab something and hit the glass hard as you can which i agree would trigger the sensor. But more and more are reverting to things like spring loaded glass breakers which i am not sure if would trigger a shock sensor What do you think?

Things like these http://www.rescue.lukas.com/Rescue+P...ded+punch.html

Although i am happy in the knowledge about the proximity sensor picking them up if the shock sensor didnt register the attack.

So there takes me back to the thought of adding a glass break sensor which works solely on sound. I wonder, can two,_OH_five work out how to integrate a break glass sensor such as the one below in the same way they have with the shock / proximity sensors.

http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/directe...or-p-5593.html

Finally, and maybe two,_OH_five can comment, i think the location of the proximity sensor is too high mounted there by the interior light, it needs to be in the middle of the car; handbrake location would be ideal.

From experience with previous cars and previous alarms, if set too sensitive or located too near the roof, you will suffer a lot of false alarms when it rains as it picks up the pools of water running off the roof, registering the movement and activating the alarm.

HTH
      09-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #13
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I forgot to say, when it comes to security, it is not about relying on 1 thing, for the best security you need to combine options to protect yourself.

For instance, over the years people think Trackers are fool proof... if my car gets nicked i am guaranteed to get it back. Well its not the case, its a 50/50 gamble. If a rookie takes it then there is a good chance of you getting a signal, but if a pro takes it, they come prepared and block your trackers signal.

Ł30 is all they need.

http://www.logictoyz.com/security-/s...-blocker-.html

Don't get me wrong, its worth fitting a tracker, but i would look at the cheaper tracker options shown above than going to one of the big companies with ridiculously high premiums that might not even get a signal when you need it

Just my opinion lol

Last edited by shortie; 09-08-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
sa12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
So there takes me back to the thought of adding a glass break sensor which works solely on sound. I wonder, can two,_OH_five work out how to integrate a break glass sensor such as the one below in the same way they have with the shock / proximity sensors.

http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/directe...or-p-5593.html

Good idea. I can't imagine it being difficult to install provided a pin-out of the the break glass sensor is available.

The supply and siren trigger would connect to the same place as the shock sensor. The microphone could be installed behind the rear view mirror to make it look discreet.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
Good idea. I can't imagine it being difficult to install provided a pin-out of the the break glass sensor is available.

The supply and siren trigger would connect to the same place as the shock sensor. The microphone could be installed behind the rear view mirror to make it look discreet.
+1
Thanks, as you saved my time to write the response.
Shortie, I was actually thinking of glass break sensor.

I am just wondering, if somebody smashes the window then would that not trigger the shock sensor?
Also with intrusion sensor fitted appropriately, would that not trigger the alarm?

I liked the idea of adding this as well.
      09-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Shortie: Did you go for the glass break sensor upgrade to the Viper alarm? is it a worthwhile/necessary addition bearing in mind everything else that SecureMyCar do?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Another option on petrol models is to install a cut off switch on to the coil pack power feed. I've done this on mine and with the switch set to off the car will just turn over and never fire. Just extend the wiring somewhere hidden in the car and flick the switch when you use and then turn off the car. Be warned if you don't do it properly your car won't start.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

great thread, many thanks.
      09-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
sa12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
+1

I am just wondering, if somebody smashes the window then would that not trigger the shock sensor?
Also with intrusion sensor fitted appropriately, would that not trigger the alarm?

You're welcome!
The only issue I could see with the spring loaded punch would be that the shock sensor may need to be set to a little higher sensitivity which could also trigger false alarms.

I suppose you could wire in both but it's a case of whether the individual would feel it would be worth it.

Personally I would prefer the shock sensor as:
1) It would 'go off' if someone bumped against the car - hopefully making them run off prior to any damage being done.
2) Someone accessing the vehicle and starting to tug at the airbag would also set it off.

Whereas the glass break would only sound the alarm after the glass was broken therefore it would be the next line of defence.

At the end of the day it's all about what the individual feels is enough for him/herself.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Exactly, just need to work out how to connect it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
+1

I have watched videos where they take 3 or 4 attempts to break the glass, and it would 100% trigger the sensor. However, more recently, i have seen the spring loaded glass breaker, with it being a high powered pin i was just questioning if it would produce enough of a shock or if it will simply shatter immediately.

The proximity sensor would definitely trigger it, maybe im just thinking OTT lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Shortie: Did you go for the glass break sensor upgrade to the Viper alarm? is it a worthwhile/necessary addition bearing in mind everything else that SecureMyCar do?
I went with proximity and shock sensor. I didnt go for the glass sensor at the time but i am now thinking of incorporating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Another option on petrol models is to install a cut off switch on to the coil pack power feed. I've done this on mine and with the switch set to off the car will just turn over and never fire. Just extend the wiring somewhere hidden in the car and flick the switch when you use and then turn off the car. Be warned if you don't do it properly your car won't start.
Just like an old fashioned cut of switch. Something worth considering if your skilled enough. For me though, 1 alarm fob deactivates the alarm, i then remove my big steering wheel lock (i know not to everyones taste lol). I dont think i would want to look for the switch as well lol
      09-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

A shock sensor may also be of use if someone tries to tow it. But then you need to think of if you need to also add a tilt sensor lol
      09-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #22
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Whereas the glass break would only sound the alarm after the glass was broken therefore it would be the next line of defence.
That's the premise I've been working on - keeps the scumbags away / out of the car & if they do get in make life as difficult & noisy as possible - warning of broken glass seems a bit poinless if other sensors are able to detect the big hole in the door or an arm waving around!
Appreciate 0