E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

04-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #419
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWysong View Post
Here is my plan for my new-to-me 335xi, and a few questions so I buy the right stuff...

Wash, then clay, then...

Menzerna IP and cutting pad (try a polishing pad first and then move up to a cutting if necessary) for swirl marks.
Klasse AIO and a polishing pad
Klasse SG applied by MF? or can we use the PC on this too? (I use a terry covered form applicator to apply my sealants. Give it light spritz of water before you start)

When applying wax over the Klasse, if i want to use the PC to apply this wax, whats the best type to buy? Most recomended waxes seem to be applied with the applicator, not a PC. Should I stick with these types, can i get a deep high gloss liquid wax for application with the PC. I wax so much, i would prefer to use the pc to speed things up.

(My advice, don't wax over your klasse SG as it will prevent you from adding additional layers of klasse SG. In terms of using a PC to wax, you can apply any wax with a PC. Two ways to do this; 1. Pop the entire brick of wax out of the tin and rub it on the foam finishing pad. 2. Use a butter knife to scrape a bit of the wax out of the tin and onto the finishing pad. There is a third option which consists of using a liquid wax.)

*edit* I see Zaino is now recomended over Klasse but I used this last year and I enjoyed the results. Is there a good reason I should toss the Klasse and pick up Zaino? I was just thinking I would use up what I have left, then move on to try the Zaino in the winter or next spring.

(Keep your Klasse. No need to throw it away. Once you are done, definitely give Zaino a shot. I think you will like it a lot.)

Lastly, there are all these "black diamond" type waxes that are "perfect" for black cars. How much truth is in that? is there a type of wax I would prefer, having a black car?

(At the end of the day, it depends on the type of "look" you like. Some waxes and sealants provide a warmer, deeper, less blingy look, while others are more bright. I would but one grand blitz wax in the warm and deep category. Pinnacle Souveran is warm and deep with a touch more brightness to it. And then once you get to sealants they tend to lean more towards the bright end of things. Zaino has done a great job though because they have covered both off with Z2 and Z5. Z2 is brighter, while Z5 is deeper.)
See my comments in the above quote.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #420
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Great resource!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #421
rvladescu
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440 GC

335 alpine white
I have been trying to remove some clear coat scratches with PC DA original backing plate and lake country orange pads and Menzerna ip 2000 without success. What am I doing wrong or suggestions as it feels that the clear coat is hard like a rock
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #422
will.u
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

I love this post!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #423
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvladescu View Post
335 alpine white
I have been trying to remove some clear coat scratches with PC DA original backing plate and lake country orange pads and Menzerna ip 2000 without success. What am I doing wrong or suggestions as it feels that the clear coat is hard like a rock
Surprised to hear that Menzerna IP and a PC + Orange pad are not making a difference. Are you seeing any reduction is swirls/scratches?

Head over to autopia forums and see what the folks there think. I haven't ever detailed an e9x Alpine White, so I don't know how hard the paint is first hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #424
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.u View Post
I love this post!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #425
troy2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m sport

Hey David, bananas writeup dude!!!. I just got my 2010 e90 m sport that was a lease vehicle and the jackass didnt care much for the paint. I want to get started on the car today since the weather here in nw florida has been rain non stop and I have a break in the weather to do it. That being said is there a suitable sup that can be had at places such as oreillys or lowes so I can capitalize on this weather? I used my old crappy walmart buffer and it didnt work for anything so I was going to buy the porter cable today but Id like to get started today as well. I see all kinds of backing plates, polishing pads ect at oriellys but they are not lake county brand more along the lines of meguiars. Will these suffice until I can find time and money to order the suggested supplies?

Edit: Will this kit serve my needs, and what else would be recommended along with this kit?
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-maximum-shine-kit.html

Last edited by troy2003; 09-12-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #426
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2003 View Post
Hey David, bananas writeup dude!!!. I just got my 2010 e90 m sport that was a lease vehicle and the jackass didnt care much for the paint. I want to get started on the car today since the weather here in nw florida has been rain non stop and I have a break in the weather to do it. That being said is there a suitable sup that can be had at places such as oreillys or lowes so I can capitalize on this weather? I used my old crappy walmart buffer and it didnt work for anything so I was going to buy the porter cable today but Id like to get started today as well. I see all kinds of backing plates, polishing pads ect at oriellys but they are not lake county brand more along the lines of meguiars. Will these suffice until I can find time and money to order the suggested supplies?

Edit: Will this kit serve my needs, and what else would be recommended along with this kit?
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-maximum-shine-kit.html
Thanks for the kind words. If you can pick up the meguiars polishing pads locally, then go for it. I use them as well and like them a lot.

The kit you linked is good. If I were you I would also buy a foam cutting pad, and would not use the glaze as it is pointless. It will wash off after one rain fall. You will want to use Zaino all in one after polishing and then finish with Z2 as your last step sealant. If you want to buy something locally, then any over the counter wax from mothers or meguiars will do after the Menzerna.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #427
Nikeeta
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i black

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks so much for this! I'm a new BMW owner and this helped a lot!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #428
Chiphines
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 3 Series 328i convert

Sealant question

Im a newbie to the forum and to BMW. My wife and I are now happy owners of a 2008 BMW 3 series 328i Convertible. Its been kept well and finish blemishes are minimal. Since I know how brutal florida sun can be on a car finish, Id like to protect it as best I can.

In the past we were told that getting a Bodine finish was great for the car and it should be redone every 6 months. We have been satisfied with this on our Town and Country van, but would like to know what you think about this process, and if there are better alternatives.

Thanks so much for your help and information!

Chip
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #429
esum
Rep
Drives: 328

hi hi,

with winter almost coming to an END.. I was wondering what kind of products or methods can I use to remove Salt stain on the carpets?

I've tried salt eraser from the local part store and it doesn't do that well of a job.. it takes out like 40% of it, but still alot remains..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #430
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphines View Post
Im a newbie to the forum and to BMW. My wife and I are now happy owners of a 2008 BMW 3 series 328i Convertible. Its been kept well and finish blemishes are minimal. Since I know how brutal florida sun can be on a car finish, Id like to protect it as best I can.

In the past we were told that getting a Bodine finish was great for the car and it should be redone every 6 months. We have been satisfied with this on our Town and Country van, but would like to know what you think about this process, and if there are better alternatives.

Thanks so much for your help and information!

Chip
Completely missed this question. Is bodine one of those expensive dealer sealants that offer a lifetime warranty but also require frequent reapplication? If yes, I would avoid it. One yearly detail by hand with Zaino (wash, clay, ZAIO, Z2) is all you really need. The cost will be minimal and will require one afternoon of labour on your part.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #431
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esum View Post
hi hi,

with winter almost coming to an END.. I was wondering what kind of products or methods can I use to remove Salt stain on the carpets?

I've tried salt eraser from the local part store and it doesn't do that well of a job.. it takes out like 40% of it, but still alot remains..

Thanks
I have used 303 cleaner and spot remover with good success on salt. I have heard some detailers also use white vinegar on especially hardened salt as it will dissolve it. I've never tried it, but something to keep in mind.

303 is available on line from numerous detailing e-tailers.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #432
330iE90spt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Tiag Sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by esum View Post
hi hi,

Thanks
I use regular auto carpet cleaner with the scrubber at the end. I scrub my carpet thoroughly and then throw them into the shower one at a time... takes a little manual labor to get all the soap out. I then drape them in the shower... I slide my hand down the carpet to help release the built up water. After a few hours just leave them out to dry for the day.

I was about to get a new set of carpet last year when I figured I had nothing to lose. Coffee stain, dirt stain... passenger side carpet looked terrible. Came out spotless. I just did this cleaning again... looks like I have brand new passenger carpet.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #433
LeggoMyE990
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive

Cool write up!

On my last car I was a bit OCD with keeping it shiny, this will help me take it to a whole new level of shine and OCD LOL.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #434
gk116
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

This thread is a great example of why this forum is so awesome. DavidN originally posts this write up about 10 years ago!! And I am benefiting from it today. Thanks SO much DavidN.

I have never clay bar'd any of my cars before and have been guilty of a couple things you explained why you wouldn't want to do it that way. My 335 deserves to be properly detailed as laid out in this post. Thanks to you, come spring time, she gonna be clean!! The RIGHT way. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 12:49 AM   #435
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
Great thread and thanks for the time, even 10 years later mentioned in the previous post saved me from spending 80 bucks on a craftsman auto polisher, going to get my list together to pull the parts together.
Appreciate 0