E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > 'The' F13 M6 review

05-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #23
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Blimey, that is the best response I've had to any car (997 Turbo excepted maybe, everyone loved that too)!

I won't comment on every response but thanks to EVERYONE for the awesome feedback - the positivity does ease the blow of having to slum it

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Just a minor typo "nice place to shit" which you may like to correct!
Ahh....mmm.....yes, well, I haven't tried that yet! I think it's too late to edit now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
Was it a px or did you do a separate sale?
Was a part-ex'd for convenience but sold on to a trader - lets just say the dealer did a good job of selling the uniqueness of my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
However all things aside, that interior... Wow

No more needs to be said, its a massive step up from the old m6 interior, now a cabin that justifies the price tag.

Glad to hear no squeaks or rattles in this car. It's a miracle
Yes, the interior is the best I've had yet - it's not only the fit, finish and material quality (which the previous M6 had in abundance), but the design. It's so modern and feels special every time you get in it. The interior is one of the reasons I decided not to plump for a 997 Turbo again - I'd probably be fed up of that by now!

Quote:
Looking back at it again, you can't be too upset saying goodbye to the SLS considering its replacement.

I think it looks and sounds in principle like a fantastic all round package. Surprising space, performance, looks and economy for its weight and power.

Like the lip spoiler in profile
Upset probably isn't the word - more disappointed. Disappointed that, having had a unique opportunity to own my dream car (for not a lot of money in reality), it's firstly cut short, but secondly, that it never really lived up to the exceedingly high expectations.

Yes, whilst some aspects of it felt a true cut above everything else, as an overall package there were just too many niggles. Whilst I like to think they were only niggles because if the price, the reality is I wouldn't stand for them in any car. So, the dream has come and gone and even the aspirations aren't there - I won't regularly look at SLS classifieds and think 'one day'! Never meet your heros!

And even though my next car-specific goal is the new 991 Turbo, even that doesn't have the emotional pull that the SLS once did. In fact, I think the F-Type coupe might be the next big thing for me, and thats a whole lot more realistic!

The lip spoiler on the M6 is one of the first things I saw on it - it's has an amazingly defined razor-edge to it and is far more prominent than pictures lead you to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post

Look forward to sitting behind you in this sometime, as with the old!
Are you one of the guys that I took out in my old M6 at Evolve a few years ago? If so, you'd have a lot more space in this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Great write up as usual Andrew. It looks like familiar territory to me, however, the steering wheel looks chunkier and the seats appear to be a little more supportive than the standard M Sport. I have to say, the choice of colour is inspired, also the interior, it looks amazing. I am disappointed with my Carbon Black, it looks so drab when its dirty. The alloys look very purposeful, are they 21"?

I dont wish to enter into a "how long will this one last debate?", however, as nice as this car is, I don't even give it 6 months.......
I so nearly went for Carbon Black too....to save a few quid!

Coopers had a black one with the same interior and it was a couple of £k's cheaper (the difference pre-negotiation was more like £5k though so I didn't do too bad!). I could basically see that extra £2k (and the rest!) disappear in instant depreciation as there was no other difference between the cars. In the end, heart ruled head - I thought I may as well have it looking exactly how I want it to otherwise it'd always bother me, leading to an even swifter departure!

Who knows how long this one will last - all bets are off!

One of my friends said that, despite me not really wanting it at first, the M6 might ironically end up being my favourite car so far. He knows better than most exactly what I like in cars and reckons this M6 is almost perfectly suited to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Mmmmmm. Same colour combo as the demo in one of my local dealerships. I walked up to it to have a sit in it and the bastards had locked the doors. Only car in the showroom that was locked. Presumably to stop dirty plebs like me from handling things they could never afford.

PS. Is that M badge on the front removable? I know the badge belongs on the car but... You know.
Ha ha....I'm sure you're no more of a dirty pleb than me!

Not sure about the badge but this is a REAL M-car so the badge is acceptable. In any case, it's not just a generic M badge, it has a '6' on it as well you know

I wait for the day that people are buying these M6 badges on eBay and whacking on their e46 325i's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Good write up!...Much better pics than the FB one I saw...
Well, that was taken on the first day and in dusk, so I hope these are better!

However, you'll notice on some of the pics that there is a milky smudge mark around the centre as my camera has a damaged screen - I actually put it in the bin after those pics! I'll take some more this weekend with a non-faulty camera, especially as I'll have a fully detailed car - it's having it's 3rd coat of wax today, having been polished and sealed yesterday (now, I never did that with the SLS if that says anything!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Andrew, I think that car is stunning and I have to admit I do prefer it to the SLS (which I didn't think I would)

The colour combo is perfect and the interior is another level, all that leather. I would suggest investing is a good leather conditioner (and a lot of it)

Personally I think it's one of the nicest cars you have owned, the Jag was stunning but I think this has the overall package.

I don't want to take anything away from your new car but Like Pete I do wonder how long it will last. I am not sure it's special enough for your taste but hey more than happy to be proved wrong . I have a feeling a 991 will be sitting on your drive in 6 months..
If it was to be the 991 as the range sits now, I think I'd have bought one last week. I just think I'd be underwhelmed with 400bhp (talk about 1st world problems huh!) although appreciate that in every other dynamic respect, the 991 would probably best the M6.

I'm 99% certain I'll have a 991 but when I can afford a Turbo....which is some way (18 months?) off. An F-Type coupe may slot in between first! Also, if I was to swap in 6-months, I;m not sure what for as the F-Type won't be out by then and the new Turbo will have just been released so will still be too expensive.

You're right though, I will likely be getting a new car in 6 months - to replace the other half's E350CDi So, new Range Rover Sport (should be a free car for a few months after launch ) or, A45 AMG or, anything else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Power View Post
Lovely colour combo too, I was expecting the exterior to be darker, however this colour really suits the car, and most importantly matches the colour of the brake callipers

Quote:
but not keen on the painted callipers.
Two opposing views on the calipers!

I actually like the blue calipers on any car except my colour....as despite what the pictures show, the colour's don't quiet match. As it is, they're OK and I'm just glad that for the first time, I have an M car without sliding calipers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRG View Post
Great read yet again. The car looks superb, brilliant combo with that interior. It looks huge in the square on front end shot. Very nice.
It's another very wide car - those arches are very aggressively flared as I think it's about 30cm wider than a normal 6 series (which I think is unlike the previous M6, as I'm sure that didn't have any body modifications over a standard car). The very wide track enhances the perception of width too.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Excellent review, as always.

You have an awesome car right there and I love the colour combo.

Your plans for a remap and downpipes will turn the car into a complete monster.

I hope you keep this one longer than usual. From what you've said, it sounds like you've found a car that ticks most of your boxes.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Andrew if you don't know who is mapping it yet I have contacts up your neck of the woods. Let me know.
      05-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #26
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Dave, I've got no idea yet - was thinking of Manhart although for no other reason than their current exposure on the new M6 is more than anyone other 'tuner'. Unfortunately their UK distributor is M-Style in Essex who I believe don't have a great reputation from a few things I read (admittedly, a couple of years ago). Also, they seem to have rebranded to 'Auto Enhance' (they share the same address!) which doesn't instil confidence....I mean, why not stick with one brand?? However please enlighten me if this is not the case?

So, using Manhart would mean a trip to their HQ in Germany and, as they're only about an hours drive from the 'ring and I'm going there August Bank Holiday weekend, I may just get it done then.

However, if there are better (or just as good) alternatives then please let me know. Obviously I know the Evolve guys but theres nothing on their website on the M6 yet. Also, there is the ubiquitous DMS, who I've heard lots of good and bad about (but never used them myself). Remapping is, as always, a minefield. One that can be dangerous too if the chosen company do the wrong thing so I'd rather buy something of top-notch quality that is thoroughly developed, even if it costs more and /or promises less ultimate gains.

All of the above, combined with the fact I've never truly come away from a remap feeling like I've had good value means I'm extremely nervous...to the point that I may not even bother despite the lure! Saying this, I've never remapped a turbo petrol car (especially not one with the claimed potential of the M6) so I'm ready to be convinced!

Let the opinions and recommendations start flowing....................
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Andrew, I think you would be mad to remap it, BMW are getting very hot on finding remaps on their cars. It's just not worth losing your warranty especially on a car of that value. Surely it's quick enough as is?

If not save the money and put it towards a new 991 turbo, delivery in September if you want one
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I'm with the no remap option unless there is something BMW can do that retains the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #29
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

No remap option from me as well, surely it is powerful enough already? I always was, still am, a 'standard is best' type of bloke!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #30
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Mmmm...I don't disagree with all the advice chaps.

Of course it's fast enough, although the sheer rudeness of over 650bhp is more intriguing than anything. Just to see what it's like as in 99.9% of the time, the extra shove would never get used. Taking the limiter off would be nice as I do a few European trips and 155mph simply isn't enough! Given BMW do a higher limit for other markets, I wonder if its possible to get that done legitimately?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #31
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Well, epic review and a great read, thanks.

The chance to own such a machine would be fantastic, I think the pictures speak for themselves, especially the interior, you just want to jump and touch things lol

I can only imagine the power and responsiveness but it sound sound like its comparable to other high class performance cars (in your experience). Congratulations on your purchase, I do agree with you regarding the wheels, I'm still not 100% keen on the m6 rims, something just doesn't 'gel' but they do show off those rather tasty discs and callipers !
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #32
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Mmmm...I don't disagree with all the advice chaps.

Of course it's fast enough, although the sheer rudeness of over 650bhp is more intriguing than anything. Just to see what it's like as in 99.9% of the time, the extra shove would never get used. Taking the limiter off would be nice as I do a few European trips and 155mph simply isn't enough! Given BMW do a higher limit for other markets, I wonder if its possible to get that done legitimately?
Great write Up and Congratulations on your new purchase Andrew although sorry I never got round to see the SLS.
Think it would be very brave to go down the remap without warranty route I was considering getting the RS3 done couple of months back glad I didn't Engine went pop in March would have been about a £15K bill without warranty.
      05-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I'm not too surprised to see you thinking 6 months ahead.

I think in your shoes you just have to pick what you know to fill the gap. Recycle and go back to something safe and cheap that you have had before. Just like you did with tha red m3 or maybe another of the c63s.

I quite like the sound of be bi-turbo cls. The cabin seems like a step up from the c-class and the thing can shift.

Questionable rear styling but nice big powerful cruiser.

That new range rover is stunning. I don't think much touches it on the inside. The leather is beautiful soft stitched and quilted. The head rests are better pillows than I have in my bed and the touch is almost like kangaroo leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

I've sent you a PM Andrew.

I can't argue FOR doing something that in theory COULD give you warranty issues in the very unlikely circumstances you have a turbo or drivetrain related issue in the 3 months you decide to keep the car for Not directly anyways,

But. That much extra power for the cost of a couple of hours and 3 figures, it'd be lunacy not to consider it It has to be your call though! None of our opinions on this count for toffee.
      05-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #35
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
I've sent you a PM Andrew.

I can't argue FOR doing something that in theory COULD give you warranty issues in the very unlikely circumstances you have a turbo or drivetrain related issue in the 3 months you decide to keep the car for Not directly anyways,

But. That much extra power for the cost of a couple of hours and 3 figures, it'd be lunacy not to consider it It has to be your call though! None of our opinions on this count for toffee.
It would be lunacy to risk losing a warranty on a £80k + car, try selling it with a flag against . It would lose thousands because of a few hundred pound remap!

BMW actively look for remaps now (fact) and they will find it if you have to put it into a dealer for diagnostic.

I would suggest seeing if BMW offer something, this way your warranty stays intact.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #36
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

My car got a software update and new instrument cluster from BMW last week under warranty. I had the map removed before the car went in and put back after. There's sensible and paranoid. It's a fine line. But it's up to Andrew to make his mind up.
      05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #37
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I thought you were allowed to modify and it as up to the manufacturer / dealer to prove the modification caused the fault ?

Unless you purchase an extended or 3rd party warranty that has it in the policy
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Lovely car Andrew ,arguably a better looker than the Merc as well.

Quote:
I thought you were allowed to modify and it as up to the manufacturer / dealer to prove the modification caused the fault ?
That's not the sort of argument I'd like to enter into with BMW,would you?

I'd take a big swerve away from a remap on any BMW now,as mentioned earlier,they (BMW & others) are actively looking for any form of ECU modifications.

Pitch up with a warranty claim (engine/g/box/drivetrain),and regardless of whether the map/tuning box/a.n.other is present or not,if it's been modified and they go looking,the evidence of it's prior existence will be there!

Voided warranty on an M6,feck that!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:46 AM   #39
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
My car got a software update and new instrument cluster from BMW last week under warranty. I had the map removed before the car went in and put back after. There's sensible and paranoid. It's a fine line. But it's up to Andrew to make his mind up.
I agree with you and i would imagine that the bits you had done would still have been covered. My friend did the same as you and removed it before it went in, BMW plugged it in found that it had been mapped and printed out a statement on what had been voided in the warranty.

And this is the problem, it would only ever get highlighted if you needed to make a claim now however they are looking for it and then voiding those parts regardless if its failed.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #40
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

All they can prove is that the software was written at a certain date. This can be for any reason, not just a remap. Just say your car is independantly serviced. This will still mean a few elements aren't covered by the insured warranty but for the large majority of cases there's no issue. I also feel that it depends on the dealer in question whether they WANT the work or not as to whether they cause a fuss. My experiences from dealing with the Berry group (Clowns) and the Cooper group (who go out of their way to help me at every turn, at least since I had a publicised issue with a clutch repair a few years ago) is night and day different.. Poles apart.
Cooper know they are charging the bill to BM UK and will always side with the customer as long as they can. For whatever reason this was NOT the case with Berry BMW

It's a different discussion anyways, so let's not mix up Andrew's topic too much with it.
      05-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #41
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
A MUCH MUCH MUCH better car than an SLS. FACT. You already know I wasn't the SLS's biggest fan. The M6 is an overall better & classier car to own. Chavs and footballers drive SLS's.

I love the colour combo (says a lot as I'm usually not into blue cars!!) and the interior is stunning. Not sure about laying a log in it but whatever floats your boat .

Looking forward to seeing this one mate .

Still think you're in desperate need of some therapy given the level of detail you inspect your cars too. Fecking nut-job if you ask me
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #42
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have high standards Roger, I'm not apologising for that I work bloody hard so I've every right to expect perfection and I just won't tolerate sub standard products, not when I'm spending the kind of money that I do (although to be fair, I was just as bad when I bought a new Saxo )

I'm so surprised as the general hate towards the SLS - you bunch of bastards

As for the remap, I was discussing with another like-minded (although much less fussy) friend today who would normally be the first to remap a car with such potential. He also suggested it'd be foolish for me to risk the warranty on such an expensive and new car so, with everything considered (and despite the lure of that big power figure), I think I'll give it a miss.

Now, I just need a contact at a BMW dealer who can officially source and install the M Drivers Pack software, aka the 191mph limiter. This is obviously a necessity for my daily commute, and may come in handy during my numerous European road trips! Anyone have any 'contacts'?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #43
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

If there's a bandwagon I'm quite happy to jump on it. I was a bit 'meh' about the SLS too. Wouldn't ever have been on my list. M6 is nice though. What's the score with de-badging an M car? I think I would.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #44
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
As much as I like the F13 and I really do. I think the M's are too much like the rest of the range.. The SLS was a very special looking car and something very different from an engineering perspective. I'd have kept it and bought something else for work.
Appreciate 0