E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > $200 scan tool from ECS.....am i wasting my money?

03-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

$200 scan tool from ECS.....am i wasting my money?

Ive been kicking around the idea of picking up the Schwaben scan tool from ECS for $200. The main reason i want this is my car has 99k miles ('08 328i E90) and is still on the original water pump. Ive heard the pump will start to throw codes before it fails, and a heads-up would be nice. It would save a tow to the mechanic at least, and who knows when my pump will crap out.....probably at the worst time.

Is this a good scan tool? Is there something cheaper that will do the trick? I plan on driving this car for AT LEAST another 50k miles, so it may be nice to have to diagnose other issues too.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
Ive been kicking around the idea of picking up the Schwaben scan tool from ECS for $200. The main reason i want this is my car has 99k miles ('08 328i E90) and is still on the original water pump. Ive heard the pump will start to throw codes before it fails, and a heads-up would be nice. It would save a tow to the mechanic at least, and who knows when my pump will crap out.....probably at the worst time.

Is this a good scan tool? Is there something cheaper that will do the trick? I plan on driving this car for AT LEAST another 50k miles, so it may be nice to have to diagnose other issues too.

What do you guys think?
I clear codes on my both of my E90 2011 335d cars with an OBD2 wi-fi device and an associated app. Cost far less than $200. There are options. Thanks much.

Last edited by larrysing; 03-14-2016 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysing View Post
I clear codes on my both of my E90 2011 335d cars with an OBD2 wi-fi device and an associated app. Cost far less than $200. There are options. Thanks much.
Thanks, Larry. Do you know if that one will show waterpump codes? I heard the OBDII scanners wont show BMW specific codes?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Thanks, Larry. Do you know if that one will show waterpump codes? I heard the OBDII scanners wont show BMW specific codes?
Yes, there are some codes (water pump codes included) that won't show up on a generic OBD2 scanner.

I don't know much about the Schwaben tool. Most people seem happy with the Bavarian Technic. I haven't personally used either of them, but the BT seems to be the most common one. It's $179 for single-car use, or $287 for up to 3 cars.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
Yes, there are some codes (water pump codes included) that won't show up on a generic OBD2 scanner.

I don't know much about the Schwaben tool. Most people seem happy with the Bavarian Technic. I haven't personally used either of them, but the BT seems to be the most common one. It's $179 for single-car use, or $287 for up to 3 cars.
I own this one also. It seems to be capable of all BMW codes, currently $92:

https://jet.com/product/BMW-MINI-iCa...bcd9ec821eb53e

Last edited by larrysing; 03-14-2016 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: added price
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The one thing i want to know is this: What is the best (value) tool that reads "shadow" codes (i.e. 2E84, 2E81, etc..)? I basically want a predictor of water pump failure.....it will be nice to reset the oil change light and other simple things. I have no interest in coding or other complex engineering data.

BMWhat and Torque apps seem like a decent, cheap option.....not sure if they read shadow codes though?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysing View Post
I own this one also. It seems to be capable of all BMW codes, currently $92:

Do you know if it reads the water pump codes? I googled it and couldnt find an answer. I read somewhere that it specifically will NOT read them in an N52 motor.

I'd buy that one in a second if it did....$90 is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you know if it reads the water pump codes? I googled it and couldnt find an answer. I read somewhere that it specifically will NOT read them in an N52 motor.

I'd buy that one in a second if it did....$90 is a no brainer.
I would guess since it is a BMW/Mini specific device, and they advertise and promote it as such, that it would be a fully-rounded tool with all BMW and Mini code reading capabilities.

I looked up the contact info for you, and you can specifically ask them:

Sales Center
Isabella Hussein
E-mail:sales@icarsoft.us

Order Center
Cynthia Brook
E-mailrder@icarsoft.us

After-sales Center
Hillary Evans
E-mail:magic@icarsoft.us

Technical Support
Barnett Davies
E-mail:support@icarsoft.us
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:

What do you guys think?
I don't think it could hurt to buy this scanner from ECS. Especially, if you plan on buying another BMW. It's either that or buy the Carly app and their specific adapters on Amazon, for about $100.00 total cost.

I have heard that ECS intends to update this scanner in the near future, which will allow it to "code". Something to think about.

As far as your water pump. You should change it out ASAP. Once your water pump makes it past 100k, its now in the top 10% of all water pumps by my estimate, with regard to longevity to this specific part. You can scan your car every other day if you want hoping to catch the code, but I wouldn't do that.

Your best bet is to go to BMW Fans website and get the part numbers for your water pump, thermostat and the U-shaped pipe that connect the two. Then start finding deals. If you wait, you will be paying a towing bill of at least $100.00, and you will be paying top dollar for parts and shipping fees.

Go to the obvious sites like ECS, Bav Auto, FCP Euro, Pelican & Amazon. I would then see about deals that you can get at BMW dealers known to sell parts on-line. Morris town, Fairfax, Atlanta and others for example. Husky is another BMW dealership in Nebraska that sells parts for cheap.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I don't know much about the ECS Scan Tool, but it sounds like it has the about the same capabilities as the Bav Tech Tool (which is cheaper).

If all you want to do is scan your car, there are much cheaper alternatives out there. I believe there are even some free apps you can download. All you'd need to buy is a cable to interface with your phone/tablet/computer/etc.

Heck, the MHD flash is less than $100 and can do everything that scan tool can do, and more.

$200 for that scan tool waste of money with so many other cheaper options out there that provide greater capabilities, IMO.

Also, looking for waterpump codes is pretty futile. Most of the time the pump just dies without throwing any codes, or almost immediately after it throws some codes (lol). If there is an issue and it does throw codes, well you better be scanning on a daily/weekly basis because the pump won't last much longer than that when it's on its way out.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked into it more (emailed a few companies) and very few will scan the "shadow" codes. That being said, its probably worthwhile to put that money towards a new waterpump anyway. Like you guys say, there is no guarantee it will throw any codes, and if it does it may only be a day or two before it craps out.

I was quoted $850 for parts and labor by a local shop for pump and tstat.....fair deal or not? Thanks again for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #12
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Try this

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron
Thanks for the advice guys. I looked into it more (emailed a few companies) and very few will scan the "shadow" codes. That being said, its probably worthwhile to put that money towards a new waterpump anyway. Like you guys say, there is no guarantee it will throw any codes, and if it does it may only be a day or two before it craps out.

I was quoted $850 for parts and labor by a local shop for pump and tstat.....fair deal or not? Thanks again for the advice.
You can DIY it for $450-75.

There is a very good DIY video on BAV auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:22 AM   #14
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 528i

Try INPA? It took me a while to get it installed but it has all of the BMW diagnostic features. They use it in the dealerships and all. All you need is a K-DCAN Cable which I got for $20 off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

Nice thing about this is that you can also do coding on your car once you get all setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #15
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224276

Looks pretty good for the money. I might hold off for ~6 months as the software matures and new features are added.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

I use Carly and its great.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:03 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
I don't know much about the ECS Scan Tool, but it sounds like it has the about the same capabilities as the Bav Tech Tool (which is cheaper).

If all you want to do is scan your car, there are much cheaper alternatives out there. I believe there are even some free apps you can download. All you'd need to buy is a cable to interface with your phone/tablet/computer/etc.

Heck, the MHD flash is less than $100 and can do everything that scan tool can do, and more.

$200 for that scan tool waste of money with so many other cheaper options out there that provide greater capabilities, IMO.

Also, looking for waterpump codes is pretty futile. Most of the time the pump just dies without throwing any codes, or almost immediately after it throws some codes (lol). If there is an issue and it does throw codes, well you better be scanning on a daily/weekly basis because the pump won't last much longer than that when it's on its way out.
I completely disagree with this. My pump was throwing trouble codes for months and over 10,000 miles before it died.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #18
Tola
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix E91

Hi everyone, this will be my first post.

The scan tool your looking at from ecs is not made by schwaben, its just repackaged by them and marked up. Here is the exact same scan tool on amazon for less $$ and with good reviews. I plan on buying on soon. Sold an Audi for a BMW, really miss the vag-com platform for Audis, wish they'd do BMW's as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Foxwell-Multi-..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #19
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tola
Hi everyone, this will be my first post.

The scan tool your looking at from ecs is not made by schwaben, its just repackaged by them and marked up. Here is the exact same scan tool on amazon for less $$ and with good reviews. I plan on buying on soon. Sold an Audi for a BMW, really miss the vag-com platform for Audis, wish they'd do BMW's as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Foxwell-Multi-..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl
I think the ecs version has different features than the Schwaben version. Also, this is a more comprehensive tool than the bavtech.
      05-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #20
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
google b1mmers0ftware (get my drift?) software is free or donate. site has links to required cable. software reads dme codea, which includes waterpump.

i also have Carly, which reads other computer modules but runs roughly $100 for adapter and software.
Appreciate 0