E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E90 car won't sleep

11-14-2018, 02:23 AM   #1
BMW.Enthusiastic
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI (2006)

E90 car won't sleep

I believe I know what's happening with my car but don't know what to do to find out for sure, or diagnosing it.

When the car goes in sleep mode, it doesn't wake up fully (radio, boot light, fuel pump module and other modules are off but the ignition and headlights and interior lights apart from boot works fine). To make the car work, I need to wait 5 mins which then comes back to life on its own, regardless the key is into ignition, ignition is on/off or the key is not even into ignition, it doesn't matter, all it needs 5 mins to fully wake up, then radio, fuel pump and everything start working fine again.

Sounds like a module issue somewhere. You unlock the car then you must wait about 5 mins until everything starts and then you can drive off, everything is working properly. To me looks like a module doesn't wake up or wakes up slowly, relay can't be since it's working after a certain amount of time. Or for instance, unlock the car in the morning, and it's not working, going to work by underground, coming back after 9 hours, unlock it and it's still in fully working order. I believe since morning the car won't go in sleep mode all day long, if I do insert the key in ignition when it's working, an hour later it won't work again without waiting 5 mins.

After goes to sleep mode, the fuel pump doesn't start, boot light, radio, wipers go mental by themselves as soon as I put my key in ignition, otherwise they stay quite. After 5 minutes, the boot light comes on and the other modules, radio, fuel pump, etc, without doing anything. Once the car is running, no errors whatsoever. When not running, can't read since modules are off.

I updated CAS, FRM, MRS and DSC modules and still does the same thing.

The car is a BMW 318D E90 2006.

Please, I'm completely disparate. Don't really know what else to do.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by BMW.Enthusiastic; 11-14-2018 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Have you run the ISTA-D service function 'wake up analysis'. It's called something like that. Can't remember exactly.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #3
BMW.Enthusiastic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Have you run the ISTA-D service function 'wake up analysis'. It's called something like that. Can't remember exactly.
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I don't have ISTA at all. I have DIS, INPA, WinKFP, NCS Expert. I don't know if I can do something similar with these but I'm not aware I can though. I see you're in London, I'm willing to pay if you could help me.

Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.Enthusiastic View Post
Quote:
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I don't have ISTA at all. I have DIS, INPA, WinKFP, NCS Expert. I don't know if I can do something similar with these but I'm not aware I can though. I see you're in London, I'm willing to pay if you could help me.

Thank you so much.
Why not install ISTA D? It's free... You can download it from the bimmergeeks website. It's called Rheingold.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you so much.
Why not install ISTA D? It's free... You can download it from the bimmergeeks website. It's called Rheingold.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Sounds like you should get Sensible to help you set
up Inpa and ista D. Your both in London.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...When the car goes in sleep mode, it doesn't wake up fully (radio, boot light, fuel pump module and other modules are off but the ignition and headlights and interior lights apart from boot works fine). To make the car work, I need to wait 5 mins which then comes back to life on its own, regardless the key is into ignition, ignition is on/off or the key is not even into ignition, it doesn't matter, all it needs 5 mins to fully wake up, then radio, fuel pump and everything start working fine again...The car is a BMW 318D E90 2006.
I would suggest listing EVERYTHING that does NOT "wake-up" or operate properly when you unlock the car first thing in the morning, and then identifying WHAT is the common relay or terminal (such as 30g) that is involved in EACH one's power supply.

You say (1) Radio, (2) Fuel Pump, (3) Boot Light; and "other modules are off." Does the starter crank the engine, but the engine does NOT fire? You say the "ignition...works fine" -- what do you mean by that exactly -- what about the ignition "works fine"?

A DME (Digital Multimeter) and TIS circuit diagrams would probably be more helpful in diagnosing the issue than ISTA. INPA can provide information on voltage at various terminals if you know how to use it, and that may be quicker than accessing & packprobing connectors. Another way to use INPA is to determine what modules you can connect to in the ~ 5 minutes after unlocking until "wake-up." For those to which you CANNOT connect, what terminal provides their power. My guess would be that there is a "click" from the upper-right side of the JB fuse panel where relay IO1068 (Terminal 30) is located after 5 minutes when everything wakes up. If so, why is there a delay in relay activation -- relay failure? If you don't want to take the time to do diagnostics, just get a new relay (61366901469). It's only $15.56 from a DC (USA) BMW dealer. YMMV in London.

Some TIS circuit diagrams to get started:
TIS server is down, so you'll have to find them yourself for now. Go to TIS home page linked below. Just enter your VIN and find the Fuel Pump (M2), Radio (N9) and Boot Light (E446). Since hopefully you are NOW sleeping, if TIS server comes back online in the next several hours, I'll post a correction below:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

BTW, ALL three (3) of those (Fuel Pump EKP, Radio, & Boot light are powered ONLY when Terminal 30g or relay IO1068 is Active.

George
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
e36ti
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i sport

Ruling out simple item... How old is your battery and do you know what condition it's in? Weak or weaker batteries can cause so many crazy problems its worth starting there and ruling out
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:47 AM   #9
BMW.Enthusiastic
Rep

Quote:
Got someone with ISTA near me, and performed the diagnostic on it last evening. Please find the outcome below. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Sounds like you should get Sensible to help you set
up Inpa and ista D. Your both in London.
I have INPA running perfectly fine, just don't have ISTA but managed to find someone with ISTA and did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I would suggest listing EVERYTHING that does NOT "wake-up" or operate properly when you unlock the car first thing in the morning, and then identifying WHAT is the common relay or terminal (such as 30g) that is involved in EACH one's power supply.

You say (1) Radio, (2) Fuel Pump, (3) Boot Light; and "other modules are off." Does the starter crank the engine, but the engine does NOT fire? You say the "ignition...works fine" -- what do you mean by that exactly -- what about the ignition "works fine"?

A DME (Digital Multimeter) and TIS circuit diagrams would probably be more helpful in diagnosing the issue than ISTA. INPA can provide information on voltage at various terminals if you know how to use it, and that may be quicker than accessing & packprobing connectors. Another way to use INPA is to determine what modules you can connect to in the ~ 5 minutes after unlocking until "wake-up." For those to which you CANNOT connect, what terminal provides their power. My guess would be that there is a "click" from the upper-right side of the JB fuse panel where relay IO1068 (Terminal 30) is located after 5 minutes when everything wakes up. If so, why is there a delay in relay activation -- relay failure? If you don't want to take the time to do diagnostics, just get a new relay (61366901469). It's only $15.56 from a DC (USA) BMW dealer. YMMV in London.

Some TIS circuit diagrams to get started:
TIS server is down, so you'll have to find them yourself for now. Go to TIS home page linked below. Just enter your VIN and find the Fuel Pump (M2), Radio (N9) and Boot Light (E446). Since hopefully you are NOW sleeping, if TIS server comes back online in the next several hours, I'll post a correction below:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

BTW, ALL three (3) of those (Fuel Pump EKP, Radio, & Boot light are powered ONLY when Terminal 30g or relay IO1068 is Active.

George
Hi George,

Thank you so much for replying and trying to help. Yes I was sleeping . I thought of a relay to be fair, but from my knowledge a relay works or doesn't, hence didn't consider it, never thought it can actually have a delay in starting. I believe is the black relay in the glovebox on the fuse panel, right side, just looked up on RealOEM right now and identified it.

When I say ignition works, I mean that I put the key in and turn ignition on, the Christmas tree pops-up in dash (ABG, ABS, DSC, Steering Lock, Windows) and all lights illuminates, it's not dead. Yes the engine does crank but doesn't start, because the fuel pump module is off. Well I couldn't identify exactly which modules are off hence didn't see a tree map and INPA didn't want to connect when the car played around but now I know so please have a look below as I could diagnose it through ISTA and had a tree map with all the modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36ti View Post
Ruling out simple item... How old is your battery and do you know what condition it's in? Weak or weaker batteries can cause so many crazy problems its worth starting there and ruling out
Hi e36ti,

Thanks for your input. The battery is brand new, changed it 3 weeks ago and it's spot on. I thought the same but didn't help.

Quote:

Thank you so much.
I've finally found someone with ISTA Plus and performed diagnostic on it during the fault, just had a 5 minute window which ISTA was quite quick. Apparently found that Terminal 50 at CAS thrown up.

Then from the Control Unit Tree the modules are like:

ECU without fault memory - SINE, DWA, PDC, FZD

ECU with fault memory - CAS, KOMBI, FRM, MRS, JBE, DDE

ECU not responding - KLIMA, MASKCCC, MOSTGW, DSC

Then I checked the CAN/FlexRay bus system and it said the transmitting control units with information about the error probability:

1 DSC - 9 from 22
2 SZL - 2 from 6
3 IHKA - 3 from 11
4 KOMBI - 2 from 11
5 LWS 1 from 5

Then returned DIAGCODE: 6111_00000000_70_901 on the CAS/FlexRay bus system

From the test plan, shows up tried to test the electric steering lock and was cancelled, and then it tried again it could have been performed.

I'd really much appreciate any advice on this.

Thank you so much

Last edited by BMW.Enthusiastic; 11-15-2018 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:09 AM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

electical e90 pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 04:38 AM   #11
BMW.Enthusiastic
Rep

Thank you so much ctuna. Once I get home, I'll change the relay George mentioned and then we see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the support, really much appreciate that
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:25 AM   #12
BMW.Enthusiastic
Rep

Sorted! Thank you to all and especially to George (gbalthrop).

I still have 4 errors but the car is starting and all good now. Regarding the ongoing errors, I've decided to open another thread, so I will really appreciate if you could help me identify and fix the others.

Thank you! I really much appreciated all your help!
Appreciate 0