E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > OFHG Replace and Engine Seized. No Metal Shavings or Coolant in the Oil

Closed Thread

11-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #45
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Wouldn't there be signs of problems before seizure? Let's say enough coolant did mix with the oil and the oil broke down. This doesn't happen instantly, neither do engines seize instantly. This thing would've been knocking like crazy before it finally gave up.
My engine was running fine before I brought it in for the OFHG and for the few minutes I was driving before it seized. I took good care of it. Was under moderate normal acceleration and engine shut off. I didn't feel the car shutter or hear anything prior to it happening.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #46
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
The thing that puzzles me about what happened is there was no indication anything was wrong other than the engine shutting off. No CEL or oil pressure warning. It took a few unsuccessful tries at restarting it (didn’t crank or turn over at all) until the CEL finally came on.
Quote:
My engine was running fine before I brought it in for the OFHG and for the few minutes I was driving before it seized. I took good care of it. Was under moderate normal acceleration and engine shut off. I didn't feel the car shutter or hear anything prior to it happening.
When my rod bearings went out there was no prior warnings or signs, the engine was running fantastic all the way up until the point it wasn't. The car was under moderate acceleration and I felt something similar to a misfire or slight hesitation. I was doing about 50MPH at this time, and I noticed the car had no power, but was still responding to throttle inputs. As soon as I pressed the clutch in, the RPMs dropped to zero and I coasted to the side of the road. The car wouldn't turn over for another half hour or so, and the only codes I saw were a few voltage/power management faults. Drove the car in after it started back up and it felt like it drove 100% normal. Only when I was parking could I hear the knock which was only audible at 2000-2400 RPM. When we pulled the oil filter, it was full of copper shavings.

What color was the metal in your oil? Was it silver-y or more copper/bronze like?
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #47
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
That's not the whole story. First, there are many places that coolant can leak directly into the crankcase which ranges from 0psi to slight vacuum. Second, oil pressure instantly goes to 0 when the engine stops but coolant can remain near max pressure for an hour or more, so even in places where gaskets are separating pressurized oil from pressurized coolant, it's possible for the breach to be small enough that only the low viscosity coolant can pass once the engine is off.
Yes but will that amount of coolant seize the engine within minutes of driving ?? Thats impossible ... So thats not the case here. If you believe that some coolant in the oil will seize the engine within minutes i mean thats very far fetched scenario.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #48
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
When my rod bearings went out there was no prior warnings or signs, the engine was running fantastic all the way up until the point it wasn't. The car was under moderate acceleration and I felt something similar to a misfire or slight hesitation. I was doing about 50MPH at this time, and I noticed the car had no power, but was still responding to throttle inputs. As soon as I pressed the clutch in, the RPMs dropped to zero and I coasted to the side of the road. The car wouldn't turn over for another half hour or so, and the only codes I saw were a few voltage/power management faults. Drove the car in after it started back up and it felt like it drove 100% normal. Only when I was parking could I hear the knock which was only audible at 2000-2400 RPM. When we pulled the oil filter, it was full of copper shavings.

What color was the metal in your oil? Was it silver-y or more copper/bronze like?
This is very different from what OP experienced... So i dont see why we are comparing the two.. Also please read his explanation. He said no oil shavings..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #49
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I would have someone who knows these cars examine your engine. You engine might not have experience catastrophic failure... could be maybe a sensor . Try to turn the engine over yourself. Without using a starter. Do your own investigations as well.
Appreciate 1
lwgrenier117.00
      11-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #50
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
This is very different from what OP experienced... So i dont see why we are comparing the two.. Also please read his explanation. He said no oil shavings..
Yeah no metal shavings in the oil. At this point I'm trying to figure out if I should pay for the engine to be torn down to see if just the bearings could be replaced, or just buy a used engine. I have an aftermarket warranty that would theoretically cover it if it was due to rod or crank bearing failure, but I'm confident they'd try and weasel out of it. Also was trying to sell the car because I'm moving to Boston so hey, maybe just sell as is?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #51
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would have someone who knows these cars examine your engine. You engine might not have experience catastrophic failure... could be maybe a sensor . Try to turn the engine over yourself. Without using a starter. Do your own investigations as well.
My mechanic tried to manually turn it and it wouldn't budge. But yeah I'm looking for people in the NH area that have a lot of experience with BMWs. Unfortunately they're few and far between around here.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #52
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My mechanic tried to manually turn it and it wouldn't budge. But yeah I'm looking for people in the NH area that have a lot of experience with BMWs. Unfortunately they're few and far between around here.
If you were in Ontario Canada i would come to see your car. Very interested in this failure.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #53
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Man, post up on the facebook groups, see if there is a reputable BMW mechanic in your area with engine building experience. You can als contact Ghassan automotive, the only do BMW engines and maybe they can work something out under your warranty. You would have to pull the engine though which depending on your skill level might be a huge issue.

https://www.facebook.com/GhassanAuto/?ref=br_rs
lwgrenier117.00
      11-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #54
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah no metal shavings in the oil. At this point I'm trying to figure out if I should pay for the engine to be torn down to see if just the bearings could be replaced, or just buy a used engine. I have an aftermarket warranty that would theoretically cover it if it was due to rod or crank bearing failure, but I'm confident they'd try and weasel out of it. Also was trying to sell the car because I'm moving to Boston so hey, maybe just sell as is?
My bad, I thought I read that there was shavings in there, must've been a different post. I would try to work with the warranty company and see what they say first. If anything they could at least help pay to investigate the motor further. If you sell it as is, its not going to be worth anything unfortunately (went through this decision as well).
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #55
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Okay but if you had money shifted a few seconds ago how can you not think anymore it's due to that. It surely is related to that.

When had you changed the OFHG?
I had it changed 10 min before using the car but trust me what if felt like did not feel like it was related to the down shift I was cruising at about 25mph when it happened
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #56
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
I tried to turn over the engine myself in my case and its stuck there I will take it tomorrow to get opened up ill see what I find
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #57
DriveBikeRun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 M Sport

Question for those more knowledgeable about the direction of oil flow: from the area of the OFHG repair, does the oil flow to the filter or the engine first?

If it flows to the engine first, that would increase the plausibility of the foreign material clogging passages theory. That theory also seems to line up with the seemingly instant failures without warning, no overheating, no prior knocking, etc.

Granted, I have not performed the OFHG job yet on my car, but does the old gasket usually come off cleanly or require scraping off the gasket in chunks?
      11-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #58
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveBikeRun View Post
Question for those more knowledgeable about the direction of oil flow: from the area of the OFHG repair, does the oil flow to the filter or the engine first?

If it flows to the engine first, that would increase the plausibility of the foreign material clogging passages theory. That theory also seems to line up with the seemingly instant failures without warning, no overheating, no prior knocking, etc.

Granted, I have not performed the OFHG job yet on my car, but does the old gasket usually come off cleanly or require scraping off the gasket in chunks?
Yes, you are exposing a filtered oil passage when you remove the OFH so there is an opportunity to drop foreign matter/coolant/etc. into an area where it could make it to a bearing. I've done two gasket changes and, in my experience, the gasket comes out in 1 piece.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #59
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty335 View Post
Yes, you are exposing a filtered oil passage when you remove the OFH so there is an opportunity to drop foreign matter/coolant/etc. into an area where it could make it to a bearing. I've done two gasket changes and, in my experience, the gasket comes out in 1 piece.
I too agree with all this. Gasket comes in one piece, return and send lines for oil both exposed.

My thought of when this might be happening is if you have alot of dirt and debris on top of the housing when yo seperate it from the block it might fall in at that moment. Clean the surrounding area before you seperate the housing from the block.

I have done this procedure two times. The oil passages are like 5mm in diameter if that. It doesn't take much i think.

Last edited by Pladi; 11-15-2018 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #60
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

It's rubber, so it should come out in one piece, however, if it's really old it could have been cracked/rotted and crumbled. Also, no way of telling what happened while things were opened up. Debris form outside the engine could have fallen in, like leaves/dirt/gravel...if the shop doing the work didn't blow the area out with compressed air, something could've fallen in.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #61
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Oh wow didn't know it was filtered/clean oil passage there.

Next time I'll do it I'll cover everything with shop towels after removing the housing from the car.

If my engine didn't blow/seize after 1200 miles I'm good right haha? This thread is giving me paranoia, even tho I have a N54.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #62
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow didn't know it was filtered/clean oil passage there.

Next time I'll do it I'll cover everything with shop towels after removing the housing from the car.

If my engine didn't blow/seize after 1200 miles I'm good right haha? This thread is giving me paranoia, even tho I have a N54.
Dude you have to chill hahha. Half your threads are all paranoia
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #63
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Dude you have to chill hahha. Half your threads are all paranoia
Maan I know haha.

Just want my car to last 5 years without it needing a major fix like engine or transmission. The rest I am ok with.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      11-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #64
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maan I know haha.

Just want my car to last 5 years without it needing a major fix like engine or transmission. The rest I am ok with.
I hear you man. I feel the same. Its all good.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #65
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

OP - just out of curiosity, what is the build date of your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #66
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty335 View Post
OP - just out of curiosity, what is the build date of your car?
02/2011
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread