E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Insurance claim

06-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Good choice of all times

Insurance claim

Hi everyone, a friend of mine, who lives in US, he told me something funny and somewhat ridiculous.
His car is under finance, and he has his comprehensive insurance. One day on his way back home, there was an animal suddenly came across the street, then he prompted to turn the steering wheel, fortunately, he avoided the crash to the animal, some kind of cat or dog as he said it was too dark and barely could see what's that. Unfortunately though, his car went into a tree causing serious damage to the car. The damage would make the car a total, yet, upon his claim, the insurance rejected his claim cause they considered that was a staged accident and the victim, my friend, is trying to get the insurance to pay off the finance company...and saying that is an insurance fraud!!!

I was in a shock after hearing that!!!

I reckon that is totally an ACCIDENT, there is no way the insurance to refuse the claim by saying so. PLUS, its ridiculous to conclude as an INSURANCE FRAUD!

I wonder if that happens to anyone here? Do our insurance companies in Australia do the same way as the ones in US?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Why are you asking....?
Planning something ?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Are you friends with @Ansonlai ??
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
Why are you asking....?
Planning something ?
I am not planning anything.

Insurance fraud is criminal, and I don't think there is someone who will risk his life by hitting a tree.

Regarding my friend case, I was just curious to know why his insurance would consider his case as a fraud. That was purely an accident.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Are you friends with @Ansonlai ??
Who is he?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdaBMWnMBxx View Post
Who is he?
The guy with the 1001 questions!
      06-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

I feel like there is something missing in the story. Insurance does not assume it is fraud, unless there are some obvious red flags.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
1001 questions!? Sounds like he is pissing off people here

I became a member last year, did asked some questions too at that time.
Thought of buying a BMW but ended up a MB.

just want to share my friend's case on the only registered forum of myself, and see how people think. (I personally think that is unacceptable and he has been treated in an unfair way by his insurance.....case now still under investigation, he filed it to a solicitor who helps him to deal with the insurance company)

but people seem rude and biased, thinking people would have planned for something dodgy.

And I doubt if one would do something dodgy, would he unveil his intention? I bet not.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

And what I am doing is to find out if such thing does unfortunately happens to anyone of us, (hitting a tree), will we be covered? Or most probably be considered as the so-called insurance fraud and not to be covered?

Assumption here is that, we are not making it happened, but is a real unfortunate.

(I think my friend's case would alter all of us how important a car camera is.)
Anyone here is currently using? If so, any recommendations?

P.S. I know there might be some desperado trying to risk their life for paying up their financial commitment, but I reckon we are all well educated adult and none would do such a silly thing to risk his life. If they do have a finance car and that would drive them risking, I wonder what will they do if one day they are repaying for their house but not a car. Are they going to burn it?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
I feel like there is something missing in the story. Insurance does not assume it is fraud, unless there are some obvious red flags.
I didn't make a comprehensive report from him, and I wouldn't either.
I just heard of it from him, but I think he wouldn't be doing something planned as to what people said here.

My objective is to see how people think, and to share your thoughts if that's you and you most probably saved a life (an animal), but ended up driving yourself into trouble.
apart from a car camera that records the trips, what can we do to protect ourselves and to ensure we are covered?

If "people" think that the thread is so called intentional, I welcome the administrator to delete it.

(But, tbh, i dont think it is so easy to total loss a 3-4 years old car, given that its market value is not cheap as a 10-20 year old oldies that will easily be total loss by a minor impact, unless you are so brave so determined so desperate to drive up and hit something like a tree. I would say hitting another car would be a lot safer at least that's sort of crumble.)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't make a comprehensive report from him, and I wouldn't either.
I just heard of it from him, but I think he wouldn't be doing something planned as to what people said here.

My objective is to see how people think, and to share your thoughts if that's you and you most probably saved a life (an animal), but ended up driving yourself into trouble.
apart from a car camera that records the trips, what can we do to protect ourselves and to ensure we are covered?

If "people" think that the thread is so called intentional, I welcome the administrator to delete it.

(But, tbh, i dont think it is so easy to total loss a 3-4 years old car, given that its market value is not cheap as a 10-20 year old oldies that will easily be total loss by a minor impact, unless you are so brave so determined so desperate to drive up and hit something like a tree. I would say hitting another car would be a lot safer at least that's sort of crumble.)
In short you don't know what he said to insurance and neither do I. Maybe he said something stupid (posted something on forums?), or maybe called insurance right before the accident to check what is covered under his policy? He needs to review what he did right before the accident to raise questions. It is all speculation now, and it will come to light at some point. Wouldn't you feel that something is fishy if a customer calls to check how much coverage it has and then totals the car next day?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

You're not supposed to avoid animals in the first place. You are supposed to hit them. Also one of my friends who has a car in the USA just had it crashed by a friend and they think that it is also fraud, so it might just be a USA thing where insurers try and question everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
You're not supposed to avoid animals in the first place. You are supposed to hit them. Also one of my friends who has a car in the USA just had it crashed by a friend and they think that it is also fraud, so it might just be a USA thing where insurers try and question everything.
eagerly awaiting chris to tell us the top 10 insurance scams he has pulled this year
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #14
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
In short you don't know what he said to insurance and neither do I. Maybe he said something stupid (posted something on forums?), or maybe called insurance right before the accident to check what is covered under his policy? He needs to review what he did right before the accident to raise questions. It is all speculation now, and it will come to light at some point. Wouldn't you feel that something is fishy if a customer calls to check how much coverage it has and then totals the car next day?
Sure! If one check out his cover with his insurance company and having accident after a day or two, or even in a week, that's so obvious and even I would doubt if that is an intentional accident.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #15
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Supposed to hit the animal? Unbelievable, our kangaroo will easily kill us if we hit them.

Yes, different countries have their own rules. But it just reminds us that sometimes its not that simple when you try to lodge a claim after any accident. You have to protect yourself well, always try to get as much evidence as you can to support yourself.

The use of a car camera is really useful.

I remembered there was a news somewhere in Australia, a man with a black car was trying to hit the other cars on the road, the victim called the police while trying to escape from that guy, its like the movie "rush hour" since the victim went the opposite, off road, etc to escape from him. Police asked if the victim could stop but he refused as he was worrying with his safety if that guy will do anything to him. And eventually, both car stopped, and the man came out from his car, jumping to the victim car hitting his windscreen, the victim immediately drove his car away with a broken windscreen...and that's how he escaped. EVERYTHING WAS RECORDED BY HIS CAR CAMERA.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #16
xxdaBMWnMBxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
eagerly awaiting chris to tell us the top 10 insurance scams he has pulled this year
Who is Chris?
If he I working in the insurance industry, I would really want to know how could we protect ourselves or what is the correct procedures in case of an accident, whether with an object or with a third parties.

And what to do if you think that's the other parties fault but he refuses to admit.
I know at the end of the day, insurance will investigate, yet, what could we do to help with the claim? Taking photos of the scene?
In our country, whenever there is an accident, we can't move our cars, and it is a must for you to keep your car where it is, and wait for the police to come. That's much better, I reckon. However, I know that we normally drive aside and try not to affect the traffic unless your car is not drivable. And police usually doesn't bother unless there is someone injured....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
Seems like I have really been annoying ppl here.........

I am so sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #18
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sure! If one check out his cover with his insurance company and having accident after a day or two, or even in a week, that's so obvious and even I would doubt if that is an intentional accident.
All insurance companies trying to save money and if they find a reason to deny your claim they will try it. This is how insurance work, they need to collect more than they pay out, and keep payouts to a minimum.
Appreciate 0