E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adaptations Checklist

11-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #1
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Adaptations Checklist

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Please add to and edit this list of when to reset adaptations.

1. Transfer case- After changing fluid.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:37 AM   #2
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw1939 View Post
Please add to and edit this list of when to reset adaptations.

1. Transfer case- After changing fluid.
2. Trans fluid change
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #3
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Sunroof after changing gasket.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
2. Trans fluid change
Are you sure? I have heard not too after trans fluid.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
2. Trans fluid change
NO.....

ZF says not to reset the transmission adaptations unless you change hard parts (like do a full rebuild). They say resetting the adaptations can/will cause more issues than just leaving them alone and letting the transmission adjust on it's own.

xHP says not to reset the transmission adaptations unless you change hard parts (like do a full rebuild). They say resetting the adaptations can/will cause more issues than just leaving them alone and letting the transmission adjust on it's own.

The multiple transmission shops that specialize in rebuilding ZF transmissions have told me not to reset the transmission adaptations unless you change hard parts (like do a full rebuild). They say resetting the adaptations can/will cause more issues than just leaving them alone and letting the transmission adjust on it's own.

......see the pattern here?

The ZF transmissions will adjust the adaptations on their own for small things like new fluid, new shift solenoids, etc. The only time you need to reset them and put everything back to factory settings....is when you make a HUGE change (full rebuild with new clutches).
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

No to reset adap after transmission fluid chg.
Heres why,
The transmission adap reset is quick but the re learning after reset is mandatory and involved
Need 40 miles or more and plenty of time to do a repetitive driving process that involves multiple stops.
So the consensus is to not do adap reset for fluid chgs since it would do more damage if the relearning is not completed.
      11-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #7
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
2. Trans fluid change
NO.....

ZF says not to reset the transmission adaptations unless you change hard parts (like do a full rebuild). They say resetting the adaptations can/will cause more issues than just leaving them alone and letting the transmission adjust on it's own.

xHP says not to reset the transmission adaptations unless you change hard parts (like do a full rebuild). They say resetting the adaptations can/will cause more issues than just leaving them alone and letting the transmission adjust on it's own.

The multiple transmission shops that specialize in rebuilding ZF transmissions have told me not to reset the transmission adaptations unless you change hard parts (like do a full rebuild). They say resetting the adaptations can/will cause more issues than just leaving them alone and letting the transmission adjust on it's own.

The ZF transmissions will adjust the adaptations on their own for small things like new fluid, new shift solenoids, etc. The only time you need to reset them and put everything back to factory settings....is when you make a HUGE change (full rebuild with new clutches).
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
2. Trans fluid change
NO.....

Perhaps it's not adaptions but there is an option to reset the trans fluid life with the GM trans and I noticed it shifted better after I did. I assumed it was some sort of adaption as it tries to protect the trans when the fluid life gets old
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #8
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Perhaps it's not adaptions but there is an option to reset the trans fluid life with the GM trans and I noticed it shifted better after I did. I assumed it was some sort of adaption as it tries to protect the trans when the fluid life gets old
Yeah...not the same thing as resetting transmission adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:35 AM   #9
crook
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I just completed some maintenance on my 2008 335i (arm charge pipe, DCI, dinan ignition coils, 2 step colder spark plugs, oil catch can, changed lpfp sensor, cleaned the throttle body and vanos solenoids). Are there any adaptation resets (ProTools) that are required/useful that I should do as well?
Appreciate 0