E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension refresh nearly done - question about rear pieces

02-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Suspension refresh nearly done - question about rear pieces

So at around 72k I decided to start refreshing various suspension bits with the goal to stick to stock or stock like parts and get the car back to how it felt when new.

So far I have replaced:

>All dampers and related mounting parts with Bilstein B4's and OEM
>Front control arms and tie rod ends - OEM and Meyle HD respectively
>Front sway bar bushings -OEM
>New Michelin PSS

My question is regarding the rear suspension bits. I am budgeting to replace the sub frame bushings with M3 at some point but what about the various guide, trailing etc rods back here. Are any of them major wear items? Which ones would you consider a must do - best bang for the buck replacement? Or is this a change them all scenario?

I want to stick to stock like replacements so no M3 stuff if it changes geometry etc. as mentioned I just want to get the car as close to day 1 suspension feel as possible without spending alot of $$.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Murf; 02-28-2016 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Rear tie rods? Do not have those! The lower ball joint is the most wearable item. You change them when they go bad and become clunky and sqeaky. Insted of m3 subframe you can instal inserts.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Haha, fixed. I meant trailing rods. The names confuse me and I have no idea what does what. Trying to figure out which is most likely to need replacement due to wear.

Toe
Trailing
Control

Lower ball joint? What piece does that connect to, rear lower control arm?
Appreciate 0