E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Evan's E61: Twin Turbo Wagon Build Log

05-22-2018, 06:01 AM   #155
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #156
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Alright guys, I am back from the dead. Time to continue this build.

Nearly a year ago I got in a fender bender with a lady who thought it would be a great idea to pull out in front of me (in my clear merge lane) and just STOP! I did my best to avoid her but couldn't. The E61 took a good wack in the passenger headlight area but it looks like there is no major chassis damage. The E61 has sat for many months

The hood, bumper cover, fender, and headlight are all toast but can be replaced easily. The main damage is to the sub fender and the support located behind the headlight which connects the sub fender to the radiator support. Currently I am in the process of talking with local repair shops and getting quotes for this work, the plan is to have them execute the structural repairs and I will handle all the nuts and bolts. I will also try to source AW E60 M5 body parts to swap on, the backup will be to source any E60 M5 body parts and have them painted AW.

Since I didn't know how long the repair was going to take I picked up a "beater" E39 540iT to run in the meantime. Naturally it has received some necessary maintenance and "necessary" modifications such as KWV1s, E60 hub conversion, and Style 163 wheels, along with some other unnecessary modifications such as an upgraded stereo, modified headlights, and a 7-series comfort seat retrofit.

This will be up for sale after the E61 is fixed. Ideally I would like to do a manual trans swap on the E39 before selling because A) it would be awesome and B) it should greatly strengthen resale value.

Here is the E39 Touring "DAS VADR"

Last pic before the accident

Pics of the damage

- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #157
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

After replacing a dead battery the wagon sprung to life on first crank, didn't miss a beat which was reassuring.

Next order of business was replacing a lower control arm. I bought a cheap Delphi unit as I will be replacing the entire subframe, control arms, knuckles, and steering rack to M5 spec so cheap made sense for the time being.

Thankfully the new control arm has seem to of resolved all alignment issues, I am sure it isn't 100% in spec but there is not noticeable pull and everything feels as it did previously. I took the wagon around the neighborhood to get the engine and fluids up to temp.

The vinyl on the roof and Plasti-Dip on the shark fin were in rough shape from sitting in the San Diego sun. They served me well for 5 years but it was time to retire them. The paint underneath looks fantastic after a cleaning and clay bar session. I plan to go back to black (hopefully paint) but for now I will stay with the white while I focus on more pressing matters.

Nice to have her back in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #158
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Oh boy, sad to see the damage, but glad to see it being ressuracted. One of my all time favorite builds, and I would love to be able to replicate it one day. I love my n54, and I would love to have this engine in a manual wagon with way more space!
      07-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #159
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

So glad to see this is back, man I have some seriously love for your wagon.

Love your new wagon as well! Black and white wagons, nice contrast Hope to see a nice photo shoot of the two cars side to side one of these days
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #160
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

This thread makes me tingle in special places.
MysticRob572.50
      08-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #161
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Took advantage of some local LKQ yards and collected parts for the E61 and the E39 Touring.

For the E61:
- Hood (only $51!)
- Lower engine reinforcement (for RWD/M5 subframe conversion)
- Headlight bracket
- OEM Roundel
- Hood release cables

For the E39:
- Door sill moldings
- Driver door weather stripping
- Black lower seat and rail trim
- Tool kit tools, tow hook, glovebox flashlight

Score

I started to pull a RWD subframe for my E61 but realized it was damaged halfway into the extraction, bummer. There is another E60 there which might be an acceptable donor.

Wagon doing wagon things

Might go back for some RWD parts off this 528i

The hood cleaned up nicely, there is one scratch which will need some body filler but no other major damage.

Engine reinforcement looks brand new after a powerwash.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #162
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

There has been a lot of progress made on my RWD/M5 subframe conversion. All major parts have arrived or are in the mail. Some were collected from local pick your part yards, some through local dismantlers, some via eBay, and some are brand new.

The main motive for doing this is to run the quicker M5 steering rack but coming from AWD it requires EVERYTHING be converted; subframe, spindles, control arms, sway bar, engine mounts, engine brackets. Kind of annoying but in addition to the M5 steering rack this will save 40-50lbs off the front end, not to mention all the wear items I sourced are low mileage or new so the E61 defy it's odometer reading.

90+F day, gravel, hand tools, no engine hoist, love it.

Cleaned up nicely

Here is a pic of my current, soon to be old, steel AWD subframe, the RWD/M5 unit is aluminum and saves about 22lbs with the subframe alone.

Here is where we stand. Sway bar end links and brackets are in the mail, passenger side engine mount and some hardware will be reused from the E61. Also, I found out the E60 M5 sway bar is 26mm, E61 M5 and E63 sways are 28mm, and the E64 or E63 with competition pack have 29mm so naturally I snagged one from an e64! Convertibles are good for something!

The support which connects the sub fender and radiator support which was damaged in my accident arrived with it's required rivets and glue, the glue was as expensive as the support! This repair should be done by next week which is great since it means I can bolt a headlight and fender to it and legally drive the E61.

I already have the headlight washer system deleted so while my bumper is replaced I am considering deleting the washer caps as well as the PDC system since having that on the front of a car is silly IMO.
Here is a quick photoshop of what it would look like:

With the completion of the E61's repair on the horizon that means the e39's services will no longer be needed and it will be up for sale. I am contemplating swapping a manual into it prior to selling as manual V8 wagons make the world a better place!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #163
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep

Awesome!
      10-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #164
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Garage views! E39 will be up for sale soon since the E61 is almost done. E39 will receive all the critical chain guide and vanos maintenance as well as a manual trans swap prior to sale. It will probably go up on Bring a Trailer.

Since the wagon had sat for so long I checked the fuel which looked good, sometimes ethanol can deteriorate and become milky, my tank had an E40 blend.

I also flashed my tune back to pump gas from E85 and lowered the boost.

After adding a bottle of Seafoam to the 1/8 tank I had left I went and filled up with some fresh 91.

Collision Factory in San Diego did a fantastic job on the apron repair. It looks factory (minus it isn't as oil/grime "tainted" like the other engine bay paint) and fitment is excellent.

Replaced headlight bracket carrier, it was only mildly bent but it was giving me some fitment issues and after attempting to rebend myself I threw in the towel and got a new one.

Originally I sourced a blue hood to repair and repaint but I came across an Alpine White one. It is in great shape and after some PDR and a proper paint correction it will be better than my original hood.

With the headlight carrier replaced that means I can install the horn, wheel liner, and most importantly the headlights which means I am road legal.

Road legal wagon = back to work! Shipping some wheels for my friend.

I took a moment to explore my xi spec KW V3s fitting into my RWD/M5 spindles.

Looks like I will have to explore some shims, if I can't find a solution then at least I know KW sells coilovers individually which is great, as a bonus I would be able to get the V1s which are great for my intended use, V3s are overkill.
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #165
rbsileighty
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E61 535ixT 6MT

For the coilovers:

I went through 3 sets with KW in 2008 when I bought the V3's for my uncle's 535ixT (now my car). After being told the E61 kit they had would fit (and didn't), then trying the E60 AWD set, I found that the e61 xi model ended up using the E60 AWD front pair and E61 rear pair (and got them to sell it to me that way. You should be able to use either a RWD E60 or E61 front pair if they'll sell them to you separately...

Car's looking great sir, well done!

Also... thanks for talking me into keep mine. On the path to updating/moding it as we speak!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #166
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsileighty View Post
For the coilovers:

I went through 3 sets with KW in 2008 when I bought the V3's for my uncle's 535ixT (now my car). After being told the E61 kit they had would fit (and didn't), then trying the E60 AWD set, I found that the e61 xi model ended up using the E60 AWD front pair and E61 rear pair (and got them to sell it to me that way. You should be able to use either a RWD E60 or E61 front pair if they'll sell them to you separately...

Car's looking great sir, well done!

Also... thanks for talking me into keep mine. On the path to updating/moding it as we speak!
Thanks for the kind words.

Yea, the KW thing is a little funky. There is forum member on another forum who was in a similar situation as me but with ISC coilovers and he originally received some shims from KW but they were too thick for his application. Those sleeves are being forwarded to me to test fit. Honestly if they resolve my issue I would be shocked but if nothing else it will give me a more refined situation to work off of. Getting the proper sleeve to accommodate both the KW ID and the spindle OD is one hurdle and the other is making sure the strut has something to bottom out on. We will see.

I have already talked to KW about this and as a worst case scenario I can buy a pair of front coilovers intended for the E60 RWD which is a decent option (especially since I could get the V1 which suits my needs better than V3s) but if I am able to reuse my current coilovers that would be ideal. I don't see the valving being an issue, I have already removed the majority of the weight off the front end and the ride quality is fine IMO so if they fit, they fit!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #167
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

I had a rough idle and some misfires popping up and after chasing my tail for a bit swapping coils and plugs I decided to just refresh all plugs to eliminate them collectively as a variable.
Went with Bosch plugs but will go back to gapped NGKs once I start running more ethanol and boost.

Old NGKs

New Boschs

Checked injectors via INPA

Due to a leaking radiator to oil filter housing hose there was a considerable amount of oil which had been dripping and blown onto the front of the engine by the radiator fan (so much for the spotless engine), the leak has been resolved but the belt still squeaked and wasn't sitting 100% correct on an idler pulley. With a fresh belt already on hand for this anticipated repair I removed the current one to check the pulleys, sure enough the upper idler was shot.

LIFE HACk: Your local O'reilly Auto parts (at least mine in San Diego) can order parts from local German part suppliers such as SSF and usually get both "Genuine BMW" and OEM brands like Febi, Lemforder, Uro, Ina, etc. Similar to what is available on ECS Tuning but the kicker is a delivery can happen quickly. From placing my order at the local store to them calling saying the part has arrived was less than 1 hour and the pulley I ordered was the same brand as what I was replacing, in this case Ina (OEM producer). Amazon Prime and Amazon Now can't compete!!

My plate turned out to be more controversial than I thought it would which is fine, to each their own. The intent was for the plate to describe the composition of the wagon; functionally it's an M5 with an N54 motor. All the chassis, suspension, brakes, and drivetrain upgrades that make an M5 an M5 are on my wagon so consider it an M5 with a motor swap. Sure the VIN reads 535xi so it's "not technically an M5" but if you value VIN numbers over the driving experience and function then you are missing out! For the record I tried to get "NOT AN M5" but it was taken in CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #168
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep

Still a killer project, even if it does have a silly plate. Mad respect!
      10-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #169
rbsileighty
Private
Rep

Did that get rid of your misfire? I have a set of coilpacks, plugs and injectors for mine... tried plugs twice with minimal luck.

Thanks for the info on the parts ordering... will have to see if that's a thing here in Michigan. It's your car/your plate... if you like it I wouldn't think twice about it!

I get a work car so don't drive mine that often for the last few years... seeing your work really motivates me to get back to it. Keep up the great work and looking forward to more updates!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #170
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsileighty View Post
Did that get rid of your misfire? I have a set of coilpacks, plugs and injectors for mine... tried plugs twice with minimal luck.
Yea, misfire is gone. Swapping in some new plugs resolved the issue and the wagon has been flawless ever since, daily driven at 22psi.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #171
rbsileighty
Private
Rep

Nice work!

I'm going to work on mine over Thanksgiving break... looking forward to getting that all resolved on mine so I can start making more power
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #172
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Subscribing for ideas. I'm pretty set on getting an '08 535xi wagon myself shortly to replace the lightly modded 335i in my sig.

I love the E90, but I'm 47 and lately have a constant need to haul fur beasts and stuff, but no easy way to do it. I really like the N54 platform, and because E61 chassis could use some toughening up, your thread has really peaked my interest.

On your 5series.net pics I was happy to see a Pliny the Elder shot. Excellent beer, and I've made a few runs to the RRBC to pick up some growlers with my 'addicted' buddy.
4 Doors1169.00
      11-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #173
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
Subscribing for ideas. I'm pretty set on getting an '08 535xi wagon myself shortly to replace the lightly modded 335i in my sig.

I love the E90, but I'm 47 and lately have a constant need to haul fur beasts and stuff, but no easy way to do it. I really like the N54 platform, and because E61 chassis could use some toughening up, your thread has really peaked my interest.

On your 5series.net pics I was happy to see a Pliny the Elder shot. Excellent beer, and I've made a few runs to the RRBC to pick up some growlers with my 'addicted' buddy.
E61 sounds like a nice choice for you; N54 + wagon space and practicality. The E61 chassis also is a nice size where there is a comfortable amount of room for passengers but the vehicle isn't so large it's hard to park. If you get the bug you can always tune it and have a big wagon that can offer C7 RS6 or F10 M5 type performance.
Appreciate 1
4 Doors1169.00
      11-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #174
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

My needs are beginning to change... I'm looking more for a tow vehicle nowadays so I'm considering an e53/e70 x5. Wish the e61 was rated for more than 4000 lbs, but the drift car+ trailer+ spare parts and wheels would be pushing that tongue weight way out of the rating. Eventually I would love to think the e61 was a natural and practical direction to go from my 335i, but I really hope to run this car into the ground with 300k or more miles.
      11-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #175
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
My needs are beginning to change... I'm looking more for a tow vehicle nowadays so I'm considering an e53/e70 x5. Wish the e61 was rated for more than 4000 lbs, but the drift car+ trailer+ spare parts and wheels would be pushing that tongue weight way out of the rating. Eventually I would love to think the e61 was a natural and practical direction to go from my 335i, but I really hope to run this car into the ground with 300k or more miles.
If towing is a goal then I agree the E61 won't be ideal. I would suggest the E70 xDrive35d. This is the next vehicle I will be acquiring after I sell my E39 Touring, it will be the road trip, towing, comfortable workhorse. The M54 diesel engine is a peach striking a great balance of efficiency and performance. As a bonus most of the reliability issues are tied to all the emissions systems which heat, cool, recirculate exhaust and deleting them not only boosts efficiency and performance but also reliability. "Deleted" M57 motors with a tune will be putting down ~300whp and 500wtq and can fetch 30mpg. The E70s are also good for towing 7,000 lbs I believe.

If you want a more N54-ish motor you can always get the xDrive35i which has the N55 motor but I love the idea of the torqy M54 to hustle the heavy E70 around.
Appreciate 2
4 Doors1169.00
      11-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #176
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
If towing is a goal then I agree the E61 won't be ideal. I would suggest the E70 xDrive35d. This is the next vehicle I will be acquiring after I sell my E39 Touring, it will be the road trip, towing, comfortable workhorse. The M54 diesel engine is a peach striking a great balance of efficiency and performance. As a bonus most of the reliability issues are tied to all the emissions systems which heat, cool, recirculate exhaust and deleting them not only boosts efficiency and performance but also reliability. "Deleted" M57 motors with a tune will be putting down ~300whp and 500wtq and can fetch 30mpg. The E70s are also good for towing 7,000 lbs I believe.

If you want a more N54-ish motor you can always get the xDrive35i which has the N55 motor but I love the idea of the torqy M54 to hustle the heavy E70 around.
The other day I almost snagged a 35d. I've been looking at them really closely, tracking country wide prices. Wish I had gotten there first, I shouldve just left work and went. It was an '09, packaged out, with DPF issues, listed at 5700 with 135k miles. Would've been an absolute steal of a truck.
4 Doors1169.00