E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 330D - Engine shudder While Running & Shudder and squeak when turning engine off

02-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

E90 330D - Engine shudder While Running & Shudder and squeak when turning engine off

Hi All,

So today I finally got outside and removed the drive belt so I could check the pulleys, the reason for checking is because the car has started to squeak and Shudder when the engine is turned off (doesn't happen any other time) I wasn't sure how to remove the power steering belt so unfortunately I couldn't check the crankshaft pulley (vibration damper). I found that one of the pulleys had slight play (in and out) but otherwise everything else seemed okay.

I put everything back together and started the engine, now there appeared to be a strange noise.. my description is probably of no use and tomorrow I will get a video but it almost sounded like muffled tapping by the alternator/oil cooler but otherwise everything seemed okay. So I shut the engine off and ran INPA and as well as having the usual glow plug activation issues and LAMBDA issues I now have a "generator" fault code. In the past I did have this same fault but I was driving and it literally went into limp mode so I was surprised to see it pop up again after months, but after clearing the fault codes and starting the engine again the car started to shudder very slightly and started to increase so I quickly shut off the engine.

I decided to stop and not do anything else because it was dark so it would have been difficult to inspect the belts and what not.

But given what I've said, does anyone know what may have caused the engine to start shuddering like it did? The belt as far as I'm concerned was positioned fine, it has 4 v shaped ribs which slot into some of the pulleys so I can't see it being out of line.. my only suspension may have been to do with the generator fault I had.. if the battery wasn't getting charged is it possible that on the second start-up the engine was about to die?

Cheers all.

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 02-25-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

The throttle body as people call them bolted to the front of the egr valve is there as an anti shudder device to prevent shudder when turning the engine off. Might be worth having a look to see if the flap is operating correctly.

Alternatively after rereading your post if you took the belt off and it's worse could be the antivbration pulley (of whatever the correct name is) that's on its way out.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:08 AM   #3
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Torsional Vibration Damper (TVD) is the proper name for it

Anyway, make sure that the v belt sits in the pulley grooves properly.

I once had a horrible noise emanating from my belt, turned out a stupid garage had fitted the belt on inside out when installing a new TVD

I drove about 500 miles before I realised - so I put a new belt on. Same horrible sound. Only went away when I changed the tensioner pulley and the deflection pulleys.

The shuddering is most likely EGR or throttle body related.
      03-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
The throttle body as people call them bolted to the front of the egr valve is there as an anti shudder device to prevent shudder when turning the engine off. Might be worth having a look to see if the flap is operating correctly.

Alternatively after rereading your post if you took the belt off and it's worse could be the antivbration pulley (of whatever the correct name is) that's on its way out.
I had all the EGR off when I blanked the swirl flaps as seen here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386606

But I've never actually looked to see if the throttle body works. How do you check? I do believe the vibration damper pulley could be at fault though, it is currently on 150k haha.
Appreciate 0