E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Tint Percentage?

01-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #45
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Out of interest ive just booked my Porsche 997 C2S into Pentagon (Hainult branch) tomorrow - they sounded super professional on the phone - quoted me £280 all in which im more than prepared to pay for a high quality professional finish - guaranteed for 6 years too - going with light smoke on both side windows and possibly one shade darker on the rear window - will put pics up once its finished.
      01-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #46
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I had my E92 done 6 months ago by this company - 35% all round;

http://www.niklouch.com/sites/tinter/

He is top notch and cheap - however as said before the rear screen on an E92 is a nightmare due to the dots at the top of the screen - looks nice from a distance but not perfect;

As I'm a perfectionist I'm going to get hold of some OEM sun protection glass and do it properly!
      01-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #47
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Car looks awsome MOB!!
      01-06-2009, 04:45 AM   #48
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

+1 on that

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 04:51 AM   #49
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpini View Post
anybody have or know of any photos of e92 tinted so that front windows match the factory tint on the rear windows?

fancy getting my front ones done.
ive done exactly what youre wanting to do. i used a Pentagon tinter (PM me if youd like to know which one as im not sure he wants me broadcasting it over the net. hes getting a few comebacks from the local coppers-thats what he said a month ago when i was there with my bro).

The match is as perfect as visibly possible IMO. the light metre thingy measured the fronts at 31.6% (i think) but looking side on through the car you cant tell the difference at all between factory and the Pentagon job. not cheap but worth it for a perfect job and peace of mind that youre in good hands.

The angle of the shot isnt directly from the side so u might see a 'slight' degree in shade difference as the windscreen is letting more light in than the rear screen. might also be that i may have the rear blind up... and its backed up to a building trust me tho, in person i guarantee you wont be able to tell that it was done out of the factory
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #50
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Have you got a close up of the rear screen? - I'd like to see what they have done with the "dots"

EDIT - ignore that, just realised yours has OEM tint at the rears!
      01-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #51
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Kin - another great looking car - hope my Pentagon chap does as good a job on mine tomorrow!!!
      01-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #52
alpini
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
ive done exactly what youre wanting to do. i used a Pentagon tinter (PM me if youd like to know which one as im not sure he wants me broadcasting it over the net. hes getting a few comebacks from the local coppers-thats what he said a month ago when i was there with my bro).

The match is as perfect as visibly possible IMO. the light metre thingy measured the fronts at 31.6% (i think) but looking side on through the car you cant tell the difference at all between factory and the Pentagon job. not cheap but worth it for a perfect job and peace of mind that youre in good hands.

The angle of the shot isnt directly from the side so u might see a 'slight' degree in shade difference as the windscreen is letting more light in than the rear screen. might also be that i may have the rear blind up... and its backed up to a building trust me tho, in person i guarantee you wont be able to tell that it was done out of the factory
oh yes really like your front tints. pentagon did my last e92, though with it i had no OEM tint - they did light tint all round - was very happy with pentagon - real perfectionists.

i think i'll go with that then - cheers!

must get some photos uploaded of my new car!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #53
G33
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpini View Post
oh yes really like your front tints. pentagon did my last e92, though with it i had no OEM tint - they did light tint all round - was very happy with pentagon - real perfectionists.

i think i'll go with that then - cheers!

must get some photos uploaded of my new car!
Yep, u cant go wrong with Pentagon, ive been to them 5 times now!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 03:44 AM   #54
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just dropped car off at Pentagon - going light smoke down both sides and then smoke on rear window - will upload some pics when i get a chance.
      01-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #55
G33
Colonel
Rep

not leaving it overnight then steve? or is the dot matrix ok on your porker?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #56
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D M SPORT

Garage List
does the problem with the dots effect only the e92 or is it the same for the e90.

Also is this company part of Pentagon?

http://www.diamondtinting.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #57
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:

I've done the same thing, just tinted the fronts. Here's an old pics.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #58
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_1 View Post
does the problem with the dots effect only the e92 or is it the same for the e90.

Also is this company part of Pentagon?

http://www.diamondtinting.co.uk
Both have dots, but the E92 has a large section at the top which is covered in dots - difficult to get the tint to settle nicely - E90 is much easier
      03-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #59
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
On the coupe, do they remove the rear glass? I can't see how they can fit the film properly if they leave it on the car... or maybe they employ Mr Tickle ?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #60
MOB
Major
England
Rep

The guy that did mine didn't remove the screen - he did an impression of Mr Tickle though lol
      03-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #61
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
The guy that did mine didn't remove the screen - he did an impression of Mr Tickle though lol
Ill see wether Liam is any better at it shortly lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #62
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Yeah Liam did mine, really struggled with the rear cos of the pesky dots
      03-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #63
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Might wait till its 90F and see him sweat too lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #64
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Pervert
      03-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #65
toddthetinter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 318i M43

Lightbulb Sanding vs Glue vs Vinyl

To get the dot matrix perfect on that car you either need to wet sand them and use an alcohol mix to prep (this can cause rust) or they can be glued using elmers blue which is an american brand used in schools (this goes bad over time) or a special vinyl can be used called dottrix to black out the section , this in not transparent like the tint and is also much more expensive to have installed.

One technique that I like to use is called the hang-dry method. After applying the film , the top section is peeled back and allowed to dry prematurely away from the glass, along with some heat and pressure while re-applying it can make the film conform to the dot matrix and looks pretty damn good for the same price.

I would charge £150 for all rear windows on an E92 with the hang-dry method. Front windows are already tinted in such a way that any film at all (except one that looks as dark as cling film) is over the legal limit.

I'm the owner of http://www.nottinghamwindowtint.co.uk

Feel free to contact me if you need any more information
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #66
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:

Not a fan of tinting, but that i like, I have the rear blind in mine and it makes the sides and back look darker anyway,.

Appreciate 0