E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Can't clear codes with INPA? Asking for password?

10-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Can't clear codes with INPA? Asking for password?

Hello,

My neighbor has an N52 powered 2008 X3 3.0si. I read the codes on his car with INPA but I can't seem to be able to clear it.

I click on "engine" then select "MSV80 for N52KP". Then F4 to read codes. Then F2 to read codes in detail. When I hit F5 to delete the codes, this screen comes up:
View post on imgur.com

I never have an issue reading and deleting codes on my 2011 328i.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #2
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Also, I forgot to mention but there is no "Functional Jobs" option when I select the chassis code (E83 X3). I like using the functional jobs because it's in english and is easier. It shows up on my E90 328i but no on E83 X3...why?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Also, I forgot to mention but there is no "Functional Jobs" option when I select the chassis code (E83 X3). I like using the functional jobs because it's in english and is easier. It shows up on my E90 328i but no on E83 X3...why?
Install a fresh version of the BMW tools and try again.

Bimmergeeks.net and many others have made good versions available.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
My neighbor has an N52 powered 2008 X3 3.0si. I read the codes on his car with INPA but I can't seem to be able to clear it. I click on "engine" then select "MSV80 for N52KP". Then F4 to read codes. Then F2 to read codes in detail. When I hit F5 to delete the codes, this screen comes up:
View post on imgur.com

I never have an issue reading and deleting codes on my 2011 328i.
Quote:
I read your attached screen as asking "Do you really want to delete codes?" Then it instructs you to press Enter key or click OK on the dialog to confirm/delete codes. I don't see anything asking for a password. I have never seen that prompt/dialog box on my version of INPA, using E89 datens.

Did you download E83 datens from the same site as E89 datens for your E9x, and are they the same Version? The most likely difference in how your INPA installation works on the X3 vs the 328i is the datens files. I would NOT reinstall anything other than the E83 datens if you are happy & familiar with the E89 datens used on your 328i.

The fact that Functional Jobs works fine when you connect to your 328i and select E90 (which loads/uses E89 datens), but you do NOT have Functional Jobs at the top of the right ListBox when you select X3, suggests you might try downloading a different Version of E83 datens.

Functional Jobs appears best-suited to a quick check for ANY codes in ANY module, with just ONE connection & selection. If you want to do any serious diagnostics, you need to connect to the particular module where the fault(s) are stored to read fault details & Freeze Frame Data (as you did), read Parameters or Live Data (Status), and/or do Activations (Steuern).

George
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
its just asking for confirmation to delete codes
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I read your attached screen as asking "Do you really want to delete codes?" Then it instructs you to press Enter key or click OK on the dialog to confirm/delete codes. I don't see anything asking for a password. I have never seen that prompt/dialog box on my version of INPA, using E89 datens.

Did you download E83 datens from the same site as E89 datens for your E9x, and are they the same Version? The most likely difference in how your INPA installation works on the X3 vs the 328i is the datens files. I would NOT reinstall anything other than the E83 datens if you are happy & familiar with the E89 datens used on your 328i.

The fact that Functional Jobs works fine when you connect to your 328i and select E90 (which loads/uses E89 datens), but you do NOT have Functional Jobs at the top of the right ListBox when you select X3, suggests you might try downloading a different Version of E83 datens.

Functional Jobs appears best-suited to a quick check for ANY codes in ANY module, with just ONE connection & selection. If you want to do any serious diagnostics, you need to connect to the particular module where the fault(s) are stored to read fault details & Freeze Frame Data (as you did), read Parameters or Live Data (Status), and/or do Activations (Steuern).

George
Thank you George!

How do I download or update datens? I downloaded INPA using Mike's Easy BMW tools installer.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...How do I download or update datens? I downloaded INPA using Mike's Easy BMW tools installer.
Assuming you have a working INPA version and E89 daten files, and the only issue is trying to connect to E83 series, then I would think all you need is to install E83 daten package (v.65.0) from the MEGA site linked in the last post in this thread (it is my understanding that v65.0 is MOST RECENT):
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...170793&page=33

I would suggest asking Joe@TopGearSolutions (via post in that thread, after referring to install instructions posts in that thread) if you have any questions, or the installation instructions are NOT included in a file in the RAR Compressed file (should be apparent once you unzip the download). There is probably a "Tool" to properly install the daten files once unzipped. If all is NOT clear once you download the RAR file, unzip it, and read any instructions contained in unzipped version, post question to that thread.

George
Appreciate 0