E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > '06 330xi driveshaft u joint went and took the oil pan with it...

10-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
desolatax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 328d xdrive

'06 330xi driveshaft u joint went and took the oil pan with it...

I was driving home the other day, heard a loud clunk and then clanking noise, immediately pulled over and turned it off to see this.

View post on imgur.com

Yup... That's engine oil. My stomach dropped right to my feet.
I got it towed to a nearby shop, we got up on the hoist, and we find this.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

And since it's a 6spd with x-drive, its looking like a 12 hour job to get the shop to do it. Looking on the BMW workshop manuals site,
Necessary preliminary tasks:
• Remove engine splash guard.
• Secure engine in installation position.
• Lower front axle.
• Remove left drive shaft.
• Remove right drive shaft.
• Remove front axle differential.
All of that to replace the oil pan...

I've found a used driveshaft and oil pan that I'm going to pick up, but I was wondering if anyone out there has attempted a job like this on an x-drive in their own garage? I don't have access to a hoist unfortunately. Trying to decide if I should attempt this myself or leave it to my mechanic...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I don't see why you couldn't DIY. you should be able to drop the pan with the diff attached, and swap the diff onto your new pan on the ground. it will be harder to do it before I'd think (without a lift)

the hardest part will be securing the motor so you can remove the subframe. The CV shafts should just pull out of the diff, the most annoying part is going to be removing the front suspension so you can pull them. it'll just take time, I'd figure on at least a weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I'd take it to the shop. I had mine fail last year but luckily it didn't separate. I also had the oil pan gasket replaced and it was an 8 hr job. I'd have them see if anything else was damaged as well. Good Luck! It's been a very expensive year for me
      10-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

How many miles?
      10-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Yikes! I'm curious about your mileage!
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
desolatax
Enlisted Member
Rep

168,xxx kilometers. BMW replaced the front diff, transmission, clutch, and rear diff to diagnose a clunking that was happening in early 2012 under CPO. I've only put about 30k km on it since that. Doesn't look like they replaced the u joint in the work that was done or saw it as an issue.

I had it in at the stealership for a clinking noise that they couldn't find, and for the last year it hasn't really showed up too often (or I may have not noticed it due to the exhaust delete...), but I think that the u joint was the culprit of that. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836234
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Replace the other one then, and get new ones for both sides. BMW AWD driveshafts are only good for ~160,000 km.

And the aftermarket non-BMW ones are terrible, don't waste your money.
      10-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolatax View Post
168,xxx kilometers. BMW replaced the front diff, transmission, clutch, and rear diff to diagnose a clunking that was happening in early 2012 under CPO. I've only put about 30k km on it since that. Doesn't look like they replaced the u joint in the work that was done or saw it as an issue.

I had it in at the stealership for a clinking noise that they couldn't find, and for the last year it hasn't really showed up too often (or I may have not noticed it due to the exhaust delete...), but I think that the u joint was the culprit of that. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836234
I would only hear a metallic clunk when I took off or in reverse. Never heard with normal driving. My Indy found it when they replaced the oil pan gasket. I didn't even mention I heard a noise because it happened sporadically. Apparently the bearing housings crack and water/salt gets in there causing the bearings to fail. Not shocked BMW couldn't find it
      10-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
desolatax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any other preventative maintenance that I should consider if I do this whole procedure myself?
The garage I've used a couple times in the past said 12 hours labour for pan+shaft, and one that my dad uses quoted 10. Both are known for doing german vehicles, Labour rate difference is only $2/hr between them.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolatax View Post
Any other preventative maintenance that I should consider if I do this whole procedure myself?
The garage I've used a couple times in the past said 12 hours labour for pan+shaft, and one that my dad uses quoted 10. Both are known for doing german vehicles, Labour rate difference is only $2/hr between them.
I don't think so. My shop charged my 8 hrs to do the oil pan gasket and no labor for the shaft install.
      11-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
desolatax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick question about towing. I need to get the car about 2km away from where it is back to my house. If I have the driveshaft removed and leave it in neutral, can I just use the tow hook and a truck to slowly move it along to there? It's a completely flat straight shot down the road, or should I just rent a car trailer, pop it on there and tow it over that way?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

If the front ds is removed tow it with the rear wheels on the ground like a normal rwd car.
Appreciate 0