E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Transfer case bushing/mount tool

06-14-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Transfer case bushing/mount tool

Hey so I've been looking through threads here and it seems a few people have used their own homemade tools to remove the bushing out of these transfer cases without the ridiculously expensive off the shelf one, if I wanted to pay 450 I'd have it done by a shop.. what tools have you guys made and does anyone have some kind of walkthrough to make one? I understand there's many diys like this for the e46 but the transfer case on that has flatter surfaces.

Reason I'm replacing this is because I noticed it was very beat up when I serviced my transfer case recently, many cracks and rips. This can't be good and I think it might be bad enough to be slightly dropping the transmission down at an angle causing me to get driveshaft vibrations, it's a step to check before I replace the driveshaft.

Any ideas as to how to make the tool and/or any cheap available tools for sale to do this job are appreciated
Attached Images

06-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #2
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

That tool goes from $90 to looks like $450.
I had bought mine a few years back don't remember exactly what I paid but was $200 I think.

Here is one that is sold for $90:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWGZ2XR/ref=

That said, that tool doesn't just work neither with E90 transfer case.

This is what I had to do to get it working:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...t#post25024581

There maybe DIY solutions that may work, even better.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

I got mine in with good 'ol fashion kludging and persistence.

I think I used pieces of my e36 RTAB kit, an assortment of other cups/drivers, big channel locks, antiseize to lubricate the rubber, and the remains of the old bushing.
      06-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #4
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

I see good to know. I don't plan on buying that tool kit unless absolutely necessary as I think I can get it out with a 3 jaw puller and back in the transfer case with some abstract use of a spring compressor, all loaner tools from Autozone of course. That's one option.

The other was 3D printing and making my own tools for this job based off of measuring the old bushing...

which was the hardest part? Removal or installation? By that I mean how hard it was to pull out regarding force applied because I want to know how sturdy to design my 3D printed parts. About how long is the bolt in the kit? I could buy one that fits through the bushing hole and make some fixture for this which I think would work good or at least be fun to try out.
Attached Images

06-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Going well so far. Got the plate I will use to remove and install it already printed out of 100% filled ABS plastic. Just need to design a sturdy yet small enough bracket to pull out and put back in the bushing, since it will take the load all by itself I'm using an arc shape. Hopefully it will hold

No idea exactly how much room there is to put a tool on each side of the bushing so I'm going blind and off of pictures basically
Attached Images

06-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #6
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

My old one came out with relative ease. 5lb sledge and some drivers easy.

My transfer case was out of the car. Not sure I could successfully kludge it mounted in the center tunnel.

The plastic ought to work. It really doesn't take a lot of force to press it in. The hard part is applying said force to the right places, or baring that, distributing the force across the face so as not to damage the bushing.
      06-18-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Great to know that it likely won't be stupid stuck in there so I don't have to overload these tools. I obviously don't have a case outside of the car to measure everything on so I had to go off of what numbers I got from the bushing and comparing from tons of pictures and then trying to get the closest to what I think will work fine.

This is what I have designed and printed out. I think they will work depending on the amount of space I find myself having down there. Will report when I try them out tomorrow in the car. But I have designed the round plates to put pressure mainly on the outer rim of the bushing as I think that's where it will be easiest to move from and would distribute the force best to prevent any damage. Not that I care much about the old one but still
Attached Images

06-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

The tools I made without having anywhere to measure were somewhat okay.

The bridge type bracket fit well on the bushing but I forgot that the bushing has a metal ring under the soft rubber flat part, this prevented me from being able to just cut the rubber away and press the bushing out with it, however the bushing is VERY easy to remove prying it out with a small flathead then a larger one so no big deal

Installation of the new bushing was going well with my other tool which fit perfectly but when it was almost fully installed I had my bracket for installation (L shaped long one) begin to break at the opening for the bolt, obviously the weakest part of the design which I didn't take in count to reinforce.. no big deal I made one out of wood and finished installation. The 3D printed round pieces to press in and out worked perfectly though

I read other threads and people seem to think this job is the end of the world and won't replace this unless absolutely necessary. It's not hard maybe took me 2-3 hours while recording. Old bushing was full of cracks
Attached Images

e90yyc2424.00
      06-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #9
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Man... nice work! I'm going to be replacing mine when my transfer case is out on the bench during manual swap.

Would you be okay with sharing your files for 3D printing this tool? I don't have a printer myself, but I do have a friend who has one. Maybe PM me if that's okay with you.

TIA
      06-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #10
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sure! Can send them to you or I want to also post them on thingiverse later to see if it can help other people that might be able to use them too. Way cheaper to print than buy the right ones..

I reinforced the design of the bracket that pulls the bushing after mine failed but maybe your friend can make it stronger. The arc one probably works but need to chop off two opposite sides of the metal flat side. However the install and removal round plates are spot on and very strong. Will send
e90yyc2424.00
CDirks135.00
      06-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #11
LPplayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335i xDrive

Garage List
2001 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'd also be interested in the design files! Although I have no printer to use to print my own. Good to see it can be done without the tool as mine is kaput! Very well done
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:50 PM   #12
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Sure! Can send them to you or I want to also post them on thingiverse later to see if it can help other people that might be able to use them too. Way cheaper to print than buy the right ones..

I reinforced the design of the bracket that pulls the bushing after mine failed but maybe your friend can make it stronger. The arc one probably works but need to chop off two opposite sides of the metal flat side. However the install and removal round plates are spot on and very strong. Will send
Thingiverse is a great idea. There are 3D printing services for people that don't have their own printers - both local and online. The nice thing about those services is you can use a wide variety of materials, including various metals if strength is an issue.
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2424.00
      07-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
sav_e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘07 328xi Coupe

Quote:

Did you notice an improvement in driving feel after replacing this? My shifts (manual) are a bit clunky and sometimes I can feel them through the shifter... wondering if replacing the T-case mount would help with that.
      07-11-2021, 12:17 PM   #14
CoralRed335XI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [3.66]
Quote:

Did you ever post this on Thingiverse? I did a quick search and couldn’t find it. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 12:59 PM   #15
Aode06
Rep
Drives: E92

Thumbs up

I filled in the voids using black flex seal paste , no noise,vibration, harshness issues (NVH). $17 Lowes Hardware.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #16
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aode06 View Post
I filled in the voids using black flex seal paste , no noise,vibration, harshness issues (NVH). $17 Lowes Hardware.
Do you have 6MT? How do shifts feel?

I just changed out my 140k mile worn TC bushing for a new lemforder item and it made a only small improvement.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 09:01 AM   #17
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

You don't need special 3D printed tools for this job. An oil filter tool and some wood scraps will do it!

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29021392
Appreciate 2
bshambam195.50
relative4611.00
      06-30-2022, 11:36 PM   #18
bshambam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'Rich View Post
You don't need special 3D printed tools for this job. An oil filter tool and some wood scraps will do it!

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29021392
I'm local to you,

do you think I can get your help with this?

IG: Shambam_makes
Twitter: B_Shambam
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 06:38 AM   #19
Aode06
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'Rich View Post
Do you have 6MT? How do shifts feel?

I just changed out my 140k mile worn TC bushing for a new lemforder item and it made a only small improvement.
Check your rear axles for torn boots(that a failed joint) and your right rear tire for smoothness all the way around. (Passenger rear)
Plenty of times, that tire gets washboarded from torque from the turbos
Appreciate 0